Undrafted FA Proposal

Dean-Atlanta

Re: Undrafted FA Proposal

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:47 pm

Did allowing points to be traded as a commodity lead to some teams being more able to hoard points?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:54 pm

I think the trading and James last rebuild. He had so many picks he had to do no contracts for several seasons.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm

James has not traded his way to a plethora of points :)
In fact he is -21.5 in the last 5 seasons.
It really is easy to do, you just "neglect" your team.
You don't re-sign players, you sign lots of 1 point or zero point FAs.
You trade away draft picks that cost points.
You trade one player for 3 players.
All it takes is a season or 2 of this and you'll have 100+ points.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:08 am

I like the 0 point FA for undrafted rookies because it will allow them to get a targets TC. It will help foster better young crop now that they diversity.

Personally 0 point free agents should be a year round thing. If you don't like the person getting them for 0 points bid a point. If you talking point saying you looking at may teams saving a few points but not much. I think the upside is more than the cost.

Rich-League Officer wrote:James has not traded his way to a plethora of points :)
In fact he is -21.5 in the last 5 seasons.
It really is easy to do, you just "neglect" your team.
You don't re-sign players, you sign lots of 1 point or zero point FAs.
You trade away draft picks that cost points.
You trade one player for 3 players.
All it takes is a season or 2 of this and you'll have 100+ points.

"Nelect" I don't know about that. We both know I love the draft and trading. I also would point out that I was one of the top cap teams season in and out.

The reason I generally trade away my picks is the fact the draft is 0 fun for me. The last few drafts I actually picked in were horrible experience which for me is sad because I enjoy the ability to find value in it. The draft used to be one of my favorite league events now is probably my least. I know it won't happen but if draft would have been Draftstock. I would have not traded my picks away.

As for 1 point vs resigning. This is a tough one but I would make a case right now most players aren't that much better than 1 point FA. Why spend 2 points when I can spend 1. This should change with new drafts. It really comes down to the margin comparison. If I can get Player A for 1 point vs Player b for 2 points. Is Player B that much better or makes it worth spending 1 point more. If a player is worth it sign him long term.

The biggest thing is how much people value points. Looking at how people use points I think people view points as a budgets not an asset. I have points so I should sign all my marginal players to 2 year contracts. Then every year becomes a points juggling. If you view it as an asset it becomes is this worth the points or not. There are other teams who seems to do a great job managing points.

That being said points have lost a lot of there value with the new Anti-age system.

Return to “General”