Justin is coaching in the NFL?

Dean-Atlanta

Justin is coaching in the NFL?

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:11 pm

This puts the debate over realism about going for it on 4th and 1 in perspective?

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/ ... -trend-nfl
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Justin-Chicago

Re: Justin is coaching in the NFL?

Postby Justin-Chicago » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:58 pm

I have always thought that the PNFL is "ahead" of the NFL in areas that social constraints (think job security for coaches) force the NFL to hold on to tradition. For example, the PNFL was already rife with running back rotations twenty years ago, when the NFL still was dominated by feature backs. The 4th down analytics are out there, but it takes Belichick or another coach with job security (in this case Harbaugh) to make the right calls not driven by fear.

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:01 pm

By the way, technically only kicking for the Ravens... :D

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:07 pm

I find the 4th down debate interesting. I really don't think it is a debate you should go for it often because each team has almost even number possessions so winning comes to converting possession into touchdowns. It is simple math if going for it on 4th will result in a TD only 43% You are leaving points on the field by kicking it

It is just like 2 point conversion. If you convert it over half of your XP attempt you leaving point on the field by kicking an XP.

I think a large portion of the blame belongs to uneducated media and fans. If the Ravens don't make the 4th down it is a bad call and the people praising him would be saying how he screwed up. It is too easy to judge a call after the fact. The thing is the right call sometimes doesn't work.
Like Seattle throwing it on 4th and goal on the 1. If Wilson would have been under center I would have said go sneak but here is a great article explaining why it was the right call.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/6/5/1 ... -dang-ball
Oh and don't forget Lynch was 0 for 4 on 4th and 1 that season.

Return to “Trash Talk”