Point Cap Proposal

Steve-LA Chargers

Point Cap Proposal

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:40 pm

Beginning next season, I'd like to see a point cap put in place. It's basically use it or lose it. Before week 1 games, we should be required to get under the point cap. If you are above it, extend contracts for players - especially rookies, star veterans and players you know you want to keep that only have one season left.

Rich would determine the limit, but maybe a limit of 25 is a good start.

This way no coach can roll over more than 25 points into the following season after the 'start new season' button is pressed. If you acquire more points through trades during the regular season, it's okay to keep those points above 25, but that's the only way.

I think this will accelerate balancing the league's point allocation out and hopefully reduce the need to keep driving down the new season point allocation after next season.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Jerry-Redskins

Re: Point Cap Proposal

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:42 pm

Not against a carryover point cap, but I think three things have to be considered:

1. I actually want to play a few seasons with no changes and just focus on football
2. It has to be over time to give those that made valid GM decisions have some time to meet it
2. Their is no cap if you can trade them.

Based on where points are now, it may make sense for it to be something like 80 next season then 65 or 70 the next, etc. with trading no longer allowed beginning next season. We can debate where to stop it. 25 or 30 or so.

Just to be clear. I want no changes for a while. 8-)
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:02 pm

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:Beginning next season, I'd like to see a point cap put in place. It's basically use it or lose it. Before week 1 games, we should be required to get under the point cap. If you are above it, extend contracts for players - especially rookies, star veterans and players you know you want to keep that only have one season left.

Rich would determine the limit, but maybe a limit of 25 is a good start.

This way no coach can roll over more than 25 points into the following season after the 'start new season' button is pressed. If you acquire more points through trades during the regular season, it's okay to keep those points above 25, but that's the only way.

I think this will accelerate balancing the league's point allocation out and hopefully reduce the need to keep driving down the new season point allocation after next season.

I am for a complete reset at the end of each season. To make it fair take any point that are left after this season divide over 10 seasons.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:15 pm

Says the man who needs no points for the next decade anyway :P
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Moxs - Patriots

Postby Moxs - Patriots » Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:50 pm

Unread postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:42 pm

Not against a carryover point cap, but I think three things have to be considered:

1. I actually want to play a few seasons with no changes and just focus on football
2. It has to be over time to give those that made valid GM decisions have some time to meet it
2. Their is no cap if you can trade them.

Based on where points are now, it may make sense for it to be something like 80 next season then 65 or 70 the next, etc. with trading no longer allowed beginning next season. We can debate where to stop it. 25 or 30 or so.

Just to be clear. I want no changes for a while. 8-)

Moxs - Patriots

Postby Moxs - Patriots » Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:50 pm

what Jerry said.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:17 pm

You guys are being ridiculous. I clearly said in my post that it would go into effect NEXT SEASON. That's plenty of time to use up current season points this season and next offseason. Extensions can gobble up a lot of those points.

I also said in my post that the limit must be met before week 1. This allows you to exceed the cap after week 1 via trades only and roll that into the next offseason. That said you would still be forced to spend those point in the next offseason to get under the point cap before the next week 1 deadline.

By using 'before week 1' as the deadline, it provides flexibility.

By having a cap, the main variances are the result of trades. With a cap in place, points also become more valuable during the time between week 1 and the next week 1 - meaning less trades of 10+ points for sure.
Los Angeles Chargers

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:25 pm

I read you correctly. Still not fair to insta change. Maybe they gathered the points to fund over several seasons for drafts and trading as well. Will not support a cap without trading ending. There is no cap with trading allowed. It has to be a real cap otherwise we are wasting our time in my opinion.

I still want no changes and just want to play ball for a while.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:44 pm

I don't agree that you can't trade points if you have a points caps. The very existence of a cap means we would need the flexibility to continue trading points. Trading points provides coaches one possible avenue to spend those points before the week 1 deadline arrives. You would need to have both the cap and the ability to trade points. Some coaches may need this flexibility to get under the cap at the last minute.
Los Angeles Chargers

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:50 pm

"Some coaches may need this flexibility to get under the cap at the last minute."

Your own quote is actually saying it is not a cap. Trading is to get around the limit. We are all free to see it our own way. I personally will not support a change to tighten the points if we do not end trading as it changes nothing otherwise.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Return to “General”