League Realignment

Charlie-49ers

Re: League Realignment

Postby Charlie-49ers » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Hard to justify four "Owned" teams in one division with one "Open" team, while another division only has two "Owned" teams and two "Open" teams, especially when one of those two teams were runner up in the previous Super Bowl by one-point. No reflection on the Jets, and I have no problem with the competition in the 49ers' division, but it is hard to argue that the divisions are balanced. We probably need to reshuffle the deck!

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Charlie-49ers wrote:Hard to justify four "Owned" teams in one division with one "Open" team, while another division only has two "Owned" teams and two "Open" teams, especially when one of those two teams were runner up in the previous Super Bowl by one-point. No reflection on the Jets, and I have no problem with the competition in the 49ers' division, but it is hard to argue that the divisions are balanced. We probably need to reshuffle the deck!

I agree. While I understand Steve desire not to have teams in the wrong conference that has been going on for before I rejoined 17 seasons ago. Jacksonville and Pittsburgh were both in NFC. The problem with keeping teams in Conference is we have 7 NFC teams and 5 AFC teams. I am pretty sure any idea keeping teams in main conference only isn't going to be balanced.

I made a NFL like suggestion but just going 1-12 of owned teams and placing them in a snake format. I even put up a suggest that only had one team out of conference with NFL like division. The last time we tried to balance this we created a super division which a few of us pointed out was going to happen. Lets get balance closer to right. Last Season you could make a case that half of the top 8 teams in the league were in all 4 teams in NFC East division.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 pm

It seems the easiest thing to do is move Dan the AFC East along with either myself or James. In fact, if Dan will go to the AFC East as either New England or Buffalo, I'll switch from Atlanta to Miami. That will keep the concerns about AFC/NFC purity in check.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043, 2044
AFC Champion 2043

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:12 am

Did anyone like my Division name idea

If we switch to using HoF retired PNFL coach last names we avoid regional associations

We could even do this at the conference level
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 am

If we made the AFC East the AFC Sturman division or another great AFC coach then we could name the conferences after the commishes

AFC becomes the Colacino conference
NFC becomes the Rogers conference

Eliminating the AFC/NFC and regional associations of East and West divisions frees us up to balance out the league
Los Angeles Chargers

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:53 am

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:Did anyone like my Division name idea?

NO :lol:

Dan-Cincinnati

Postby Dan-Cincinnati » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:27 am

lol i didnt particularly like the division names either :D

I cant really understand what anyone is caught up in NFC and AFC realism at this point. We have 12 teams. We need to make the divisions balanced by owner, not team name.

I dont have any problem becoming the patriots instead of the Bengals if that will make people happy....but IMO we need to completely scrap the idea that our team names will be realistic with NFL divisions, the league officers should make a list of owners in order of how good they think they are, and they can do this confidentially if they want, and then like James said, just snake them into divisions.

Dan-Cincinnati

Postby Dan-Cincinnati » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:36 am

Maybe not a snake tho now that I think about it...that would leave the best team with the 8th best team as his closest competitor. So maybe start back at the top instead of snaking back...so the divisions would have (1,5,9) (2,6,10) (3,7,11) (4,8,12)....now at first glance this would give the bottom 2 divisions 3,7,11 and 4,8,12 a big advantage so maybe we offset that by giving these 2 divisions 1 open team each and the other 2 divisions get the 2 open teams. So (1,5,9 in NFC), (2,6,10 in AFC), (3,7,11 in AFC), (4,8,12 NFC)

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 am

Charlie-49ers wrote:
Steve-LA Chargers wrote:Did anyone like my Division name idea?

NO :lol:

:(
Los Angeles Chargers

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:58 am

we can’t purely rank the league based on last season’s record

coaching history not just this season needs to be factored in

strength of sched needs to be factored in if we look at the past season

off / def rankings over multiple seasons need to be factored in