Proposed Rule Change

Mitch-Oilers

Re: Proposed Rule Change

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:24 am

@Rich - the ratings differentiation looks pretty good on that link. It would definitely create more variation in results and put some additional work into managing your roster. It could also create some variations in play styles.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043, 2044
AFC Champion 2043

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:41 pm

I agree Mitch. I would love to see us go back to even older days where there was even slightly more difference between acts-pots.
It makes training camp more interesting. It creates rosters where depth is tougher to come by.
It would alter the value in a good way for the top tier players.
It would also make drafting at the top much more important because the top players would be more accomplished.

The negative is, no red meat out of the gate. You draft on potential and you train it.

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:19 am

The Drafts of late do have some players come out of TC and hit the field as 3s and 4s, and maybe one or two in the 2 slots depending on the team drafting them. QB Joe Burrow I have ranked as 34th in the League, definitely a #2 on most teams. De Chase Young is 38th, DT Marlon Davidson is 17th, FB Derek Watt is 12th, S Xavier McKinney is 14th, T Tristan Wirfs is 35th, and TE Josiah Deguara is 21st. I am sure that these guys are on the field, at least part of the time. As you wish, I will continue to spread out the field in the next Draft. BTW, the random algorithm I developed to generate the POTs also has a random algorithm for the ACTs relative to the POTs generated. For example, if you remember, Joe Burrow had max ACTs relative to his POTs in DI and IN (randomly generated). I missed that but when brought to my attention, I dropped both a point. I use to generate the POTs and manipulate the ACTs, but now it is all random, just like the players in the NFL. Some good ones go bad and some bad ones make good. Some develop early, some never develop.

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:21 am

I have enjoyed the personality of the players contained in the last few drafts for those reasons. Some guys with great ACTs but less than stellar POTs. Some guys with lower ACTs but superstar POTs. Variability helps ensure every team can find more of what they're drafting for. Different teams coveting different players also helps rebuilding teams do so more effectively because the playoff teams looking for that final piece don't look to draft the same players.

Widening the ACT-POT gap leads to over-reliance on TCs which hurts league parity from what I've seen. TC is a simple process, but inevitably some owners don't maximize their camps. Then their trade value also takes a hit. Also, NFL teams don't use the draft to simply stockpile guys to develop while they ride the pine, they draft many who play out of the gate. The Cardinals have five rookies in active slots right now. That feels about right on par with the NFL, and better than it has in the past for our league. In the past, there were seasons where having even a first round PNFL rookie start would have been laughable.

The draft pools are working well in conjunction with the salary cap system and we just need 3-4 more seasons for another round of contracts to hit their renewal cycle for everything to "mesh." We should be patient and let things take their course.

Keep up the great work Charlie!

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:24 pm

I concur with Justin. Let's let things play out with the salary cap and what Charlie has already done for the draft. I like that a QB went first. Should have been me making that pick, but I was an idiot. Happy with McGloin though.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

tmurph-Jets

Postby tmurph-Jets » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:59 am

Let's see, the players for the first 2 decades had much wider gaps and we had normal stats when compared to the NFL.
Probably because we had diversity in the players which created mismatches on the field.
The QB rating was better, more TD passes, higher comp%

Now we have 18 identical teams and the stats are flat but the problem is 2-DL?

Return to “Trash Talk”