Undrafted FA Proposal

Steve-LA Chargers

Undrafted FA Proposal

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:19 pm

I would like to propose the following for next offseason:

The PNFL will allow 0 point bids for only undrafted rookies (0 year only) before TC. If you get the player for a 0 point bid, they sign for only the current season (1 year contract). If the bid is 1 or more points, it becomes a 3 season contract like normal.

I think this makes sense as most of them are PS fodder and only need 1 season contracts. The worthy ones will get 1+ bids for sure.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Jerry-Redskins

Re: Undrafted FA Proposal

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:42 pm

I was thinking the opposite and to make even in season 1 point since points are the only cap form and they are already so plentiful.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:49 pm

So because we probably won't ever have a salary cap again, just a floor, you would rather the proposal be this?

1. The only time teams can get three season contracts for free agents is during the Free Agency period between the start of the new season and the draft. Minimum bid = 1 point.
2. All other times during and after the draft and during the regular season, teams must bid 1 point to acquire a free agent and this contract is for current season only. To extend a contract beyond current season, you must restructure the deal.

So, using this example, if I sign an undrafted rookie for 1 point or more and decide he's worthy of a longer contract such as two more seasons, I would need to also restructure his deal for another 4 points (I could do this when I sign him or wait until the next offseason when I get more points).

Although this screws me right now and gives point heavy teams several seasons of advantage over me, I do kind of like this as it would make coaches spend their points. Plus it provides a sort of cap on what we can do. It would basically mean I'm at cap and can't really spend much more.

The only risk is if we get a new coach and his team is low on points when he joins. Part of the reason we did the 0 point bid was to make it easier for new coaches to make team changes mid-season. If I spend the rest of my points and suddenly left, a new coach would have no way to make changes. We also implemented 0 point bids to help teams deal with injuries. Last season, I had 3 QBs but two of them were injured mid-season so I had to get a 4th QB. If I had zero points, I would have been in a bind.

Maybe we'd make an exception rule:
a) New coaches can make 0 point bids in the first week they join in order to make roster improvements
b) During the season, coaches can make a 0 point bid to sign a player when doubtful/out injuries at a position exceed or equal the number of required players for the position.
Los Angeles Chargers

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:03 pm

I don't have a problem with 0 point bids on undrafted FA prior to training camp. However, if you keep the undrafted FA on your roster after TC, including PS, it will cost you 1 pt.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043, 2044
AFC Champion 2043

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:13 pm

I'm thinking simple. Go back to all FA bids have to start with 1 point and are for 3 years. Easy peasy. Otherwise leave it like it is. 1 point starting bids until week 1 with 0 starts in season. I think my main issue is not not free up more points that we already do
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:03 pm

I give up
Los Angeles Chargers

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:02 am

You don't give up. You should express your idea and opinion.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Dan-Cincinnati

Postby Dan-Cincinnati » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:15 am

I dont really care about this one way or the other, so I guess I would say its fine with me. Sounds like extra busy work for rich though, putting guys on rosters and adjusting points after the fact if you keep them or whatever.

If you like a guy and want to train him, why not just sign him and keep him on your PS? Sounds like people want to train guys and cut them, which doesnt feel super necessary.

Dan-Cincinnati

Postby Dan-Cincinnati » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:24 am

Another possibility is, if you see guys who you think are worthy of training for future free agency, what if we allowed Jerry and Rich to add them to any open team with enough space, for free. You could just compile a list and send it to them, and they could hit them while they run the open team camps?

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:12 pm

It's not that it's a bad idea, but it goes against what I am trying to do.
I am trying to reduce the points in circulation, not increase.
After the 2036 season we had 575 total points out there.
After 2037 = 705 points
After 2038 = 786 points
After 2039 = 945 points
But now we are headed back in the right direction this season with 787 total.
My long term goal is much lower points remaining.

Return to “General”