Salary Cap Poll

Do you want to see the PNFL eliminate the salary cap?

#1 Get rid of the salary cap but keep the points system.
54%
#2 Get rid of the salary cap & get rid of the points system.
8%
#3 Keep the salary cap & points system.
38%

Total votes: 13

Mitch-Oilers

Re: Salary Cap Poll

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:07 pm

If we keep the salary cap, here's an idea...

Instead of individual player salaries changing every year, a player's salary only changes when their contact runs out or is renegotiated.

It would be like the NFL where you have to decided whether to extend a player after their rookie contract because that's when the player's pay explodes.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043, 2044
AFC Champion 2043

tmurph-Jets

Postby tmurph-Jets » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:15 pm

Mitch-Raiders wrote:If we keep the salary cap, here's an idea...

Instead of individual player salaries changing every year, a player's salary only changes when their contact runs out or is renegotiated.

It would be like the NFL where you have to decided whether to extend a player after their rookie contract because that's when the player's pay explodes.

Sure, and if this was an 8 team league where each coach has played 300 games this would be a great idea.
And we could have hold outs too!

I'm not sure I understand why every one of us is not trying to see this from a new coach point of view.
People have limited time to give to a game, especially one that is 24 years old.
If we don't begin to strive for simplicity than you should be prepared for that 8 team league.
Justin mentioned passion, yet 4 of 14 did not even reply saying they are playing in 2040.
We seem to be whistling past the graveyard.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:25 pm

I am not an evangelist for keeping the ditching the salary cap but I'm not adamant about keeping it either. I think it may be better on balance than not using it, but I do see it is more complicated, especially for newer or new GMs and team owners that might be looking to join the PNFL and that should be considered.

I can see you point of the WRs, there is definitely disagreement on that and no doubt Jerry agrees with you that his WRs are better overall than mine. Mine work for the game plan that I try to put together each week.

The points you are making is exactly why you the cap doesn't work. It is about coaching not about the players. Even after new draft classes are the only thing left the cap still won't matter. It only hurts new coaches by adding meaningless complications. I would say the cap has caused less player movement not more.

Even if players matter the cap and current point system only hurt new coaches or people who struggle management. If anything it only creates a bigger gap better good GM and ok GMs. Think of it as if you are a new coach. You have to figure out this complicated point and cap system while trying to build an effective game plan. You are most likely going to lose hope. Heck even if all the have to do is build PPP can be enough to burn you out without the other stuff.

Oh and Dean Looking at the WR personally I like almost all over Jerry's WR over any of yours. I would probably have SP my be 4th or 5th attribute when I look at WRs
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:31 pm

I'm mostly with Thomas. I championed the cap as I thought it would add to FA and help balance things. So far neither have occurred in my opinion. I have had a lot of interaction with the new owners and assisting them as well.

I differ in that I want to go back to the points only cap as it adds a little thought to the roster which i do enjoy, but otherwise I agree. Trading players is gone for the most part and the new owners have struggled with roster things. Look at the player Steve is gonna retire. The points may have still caused the decision, but I can guarantee someone would eat the point cost to have him. No one has room under the cap. I think we stand a better chance to stay around the longest by taking back the cap step to simplify things up to the way they were for a ton of seasons. I erred in supporting the cap
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

tmurph-Jets

Postby tmurph-Jets » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:15 pm

Jerry, I'm not going to sit here and lie and say I voted against the cap.
I probably did vote for it because it does give us some realism seeing a salary next to a name.

There are 2 reasons this system is flawed for what we were trying to achieve.
1. There is and always has been an oversupply of talent in the league. We all have backups for backups.
2. Fbpro98 is flawed in that the players rise and fall perfectly in a predictable manner.

If a player has a bad season in year 3, the NFL thinks he may be declining or he peaked and they cut him. They are right, they are wrong but it happens. In the PNFL, you know exactly where this player is going. You see where he ranks amongst his peers and it doesn't matter if he had a bad year statistically.

Because of these facts, coaches are smart and they figured out pretty quick who to hold onto and who to cut. This creates a pile of free agents who are average players. They are all the depth guys.

Eliminating the cap and keeping the points at least removes the heavy chains to trading.
Teams could once again breath. And any layer of bureaucracy removed helps new coaches.
I think both should go but one step at a time. And given how wealthy many teams are with points, it's hardly an impediment.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:16 pm

Thomas is right. We do need to review our current rules and structure from the eyes of a new coach. As Thomas highlighted, only about 8 owners are active at an above average level. We haven't kept a new coach around for more than a couple seasons in a while. It could be we've adapted the rules over time to meet the will of 8 owners (me included) vs looking at things as a whole.

I believe simply and fun is best.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043, 2044
AFC Champion 2043

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:09 pm

I pushed for the cap because I thought it would help with balance.(I was hording talent at the time. I agree with keeping it simple.

What do we really gain for salary cap? I don't really see it balancing out rosters. It just effects the quality of the your bench players. So may be the 5th best WR on one team joins another team to be the 3rd or 4th. It is really meh.

Are points worth it? To me this system has always felt too much like busy work. I rarely have ever had to make a hard decision because of points. The little we gain from it to me just doesn't feel like the worth.

The hill I probably will die on is I really like Anti-aging and the unretirement. I think it add something in that it allows people to develop attachment to players and their stats. I think it could really be a great way to retain average coaches who struggle to win if they can see their top RB push for rushing leader. Or see a player they are a fan of become superstar with a long career.

Shawn-Giants

Postby Shawn-Giants » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:14 am

My vote is to leave it in. The cap is what makes this the major leagues and the PNFL.

It won't help attrition.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:15 am

Shawn-Giants wrote:My vote is to leave it in. The cap is what makes this the major leagues and the PNFL.

It won't help attrition.

If this was 99 or even 00 when the league was full I would agree with you. It hurts new players and doesn't effect top coaches/GMs. NFL put in the cap to create parity. Points and cap do the exact opposite in PNFL. I want to point out keep the points system doesn't hurt me. I have over 3 seasons worth of points and don't have issues managing points and the second lowest cap number. I am probably the coach that benefits the most by keeping both systems

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:33 am

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:I think there are only two choices, leave the system as is or go back to the purely points based system. FA would get boring without points, so I'm not in favor of no points system. Abolishing points and using salary for FA would be brutal on Rich - would create a tracking nightmare in the Contracts file.

Sorry catching up. I completely disagree with this. If anything Free Agency would be simple. There would basically be three periods where there would be any Free Agent activity.

1. At the start of the new season. I think this could easily be done with a list snake draft. It would be done in one weekend.
2. After draft. ( would remove any boost for non-drafted players since points are a thing. )If there is no boosted players. This really is just roster filler and Practice Squad players. Personally I got reverse List snake draft start with the Super Champs. It could be done a couple days after the draft.(shorter than current system)
3. During Season/picking up cut players simple waiver wire

The reality is without a cap/points there wouldn't be much really going on in Free Agency so I don't see it being that much of a headache. The reality also is we already basically do this except instead of everyone having an equal shot at getting at least some of the players they want. Current system first person to post get the players.

Return to “General”