Pass short defense required?

Jerry-Redskins

Re: Pass short defense required?

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Just no. We are suddenly going over board when there is no major issue to fix. We have had as competitive a league and seasons as ever the last 5 to 10 seasons. Get more than half way through a season and people seem to want to create change to suit themselves after losing games and struggling. Design and call goods plays and win games. We are suddenly trying to to completely restrict defense creativity and play calling and do anything you want of offense. Leave stuff alone. Change for the sake of change will only break things.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:58 pm

The commish has enough rules to watch. Leave it alone.........
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:29 pm

I think what we really need to do for Pass Short is more clearly make it more distinct from RL. This is the current definition of each.

 Pass Short: Must have 4 DBs and at least 5 Players (ANY) must have PASS FOCUSED defense.
 Run Left: Must have 4 DBs and no more than 6 Players (ANY) can have RUN FOCUSED defense.

If I make a play with 4 DBs and set 6 players to be run focused and 5 players to be pass focused, it could arguably be either RL or PS.

I propose we increase the value of PS by adding a caveat to both categories focused on DL logic.

 Pass Short: Must have 4 DBs and at least 5 Players (ANY) must have PASS FOCUSED defense. DLs cannot use Run Rush logic.
 Run Left: Must have 4 DBs and no more than 6 Players (ANY) can have RUN FOCUSED defense. DLs cannot use Pass Rush logic.

Simple. Easy to check. Makes sure there is a meaningful distinction. In fact, I would spread it further and make it this:

 Pass categories: DLs cannot use Run Rush logic.
 Run categories: DLs cannot use Pass Rush logic.

I'm sure this will be shot down immediately. Keep in mind I'm just trying find a way to make sure PS have a meaningful distinction with RL (and PM). If you have a better idea, share it.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Return to “General”