Free agent boost

Brian-Broncos

Re: Free agent boost

Postby Brian-Broncos » Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:49 pm

I have offered 10 boosts and 5 busts but nobody wants to roll those dice :D

That is quite the wrinkle! I love the idea, but would HATE it when it hits one of my guys.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. - George Carlin

Brian-Broncos

Postby Brian-Broncos » Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:56 pm

My suggestion is that the drafted rookie boosts remain the same (other than the yearly variations that Charlie and Rich want to use) and are revealed after the draft. However, UNDRAFTED rookie FA boosts are not revealed until AFTER the season. The rules would be similar to transfer rolls, with the only eligible players being undrafted rookies that reside on a team's 53 man roster AND/OR practice squad from week one of the season.

I like this but would prefer boosting them before training camp - so maybe lower the number of boosted to 3 or so and only UNDRAFTED rookies that were signed by the Sunday before training camp are eligible, or something like that.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. - George Carlin

Brian-Broncos

Postby Brian-Broncos » Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:59 pm

In general, turns out I had forgotten the undrafted rookies that get boosted don't typically become superstars or anything, so I don't dislike this process as much as I had it in my head. Still makes sense to me that the boost for undrafted players should occur after the players are signed.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:53 pm

Neil-Raiders wrote:This was the first year that I was able to bid and win an 'expensive' undrafted rookie FA, but I agree with Steve and Matt that it is unfair/unrealistic for the undrafted rookies to only go to the teams that can afford them. I have a proposal that I think would be more fair, more realistic, and frankly more fun, but it would entail a little more work for Rich. My suggestion is that the drafted rookie boosts remain the same (other than the yearly variations that Charlie and Rich want to use) and are revealed after the draft. However, UNDRAFTED rookie FA boosts are not revealed until AFTER the season. The rules would be similar to transfer rolls, with the only eligible players being undrafted rookies that reside on a team's 53 man roster AND/OR practice squad from week one of the season. This would give every team an equal chance of getting a boosted undrafted rookie, it would be more realistic since it would mimic the too small, too slow, etc., unheralded rookies that do make it, and it would add an additional level of strategy to practice squad selections. Do you add the best players or do you focus on undrafted rookies? When a player gets moved to IR, which undrafted rookie do you cut to make room? Like I said, Rich would have to be willing to keep track of it, but I think it would be more fair and more fun than the current process.

Not really that hard to keep track of since you are randomly doing it after the season. You just track the undrafted guys on your roster. This can be done in the contract file, and then after the season Rich puts a number 1 through n to each undrafted guy and pulls the "winners" out of a random number generator.

Shawn-Giants

Postby Shawn-Giants » Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:37 pm

I kind of like the idea, of the after the season FA Rookie boost. Instead of conducting two forms of boosts post draft at once, only conduct the initial draft boost and then end of season conduct the FA Rookie boost.

Separates all the boosting. Just an idea.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:03 am

Rich-League Officer wrote:Brian, if it were up to me, there would be no boosts at all.
I have never liked them. But, Charlie and the coaches like them.

I have offered 10 boosts and 5 busts but nobody wants to roll those dice :D

We've heard this idea before...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2413&p=5715&hilit=busts#p5715

I still think busts are a no-go and if given a choice of having both boosts/busts together or neither, I prefer neither. Players already are surprises or busts in the way that they over or under perform based on expectations we have based on their attributes.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Return to “General”