Draft Pool

Charlie-49ers

Draft Pool

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:12 am

As I hope that you can see as you get into the latest Rookie Pool, I have tried to incorporate many of the concerns voiced on the Message Board; too many superstars, not enough diversity within position, too many good players within a position, whatever. Although I am not one to solicit more criticism than I already get, please post your opinions below, so I can further tweak the next Draft Pool, if you guys find it necessary.

Steve-LA Chargers

Re: Draft Pool

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:19 am

My one beef with NFL-style leagues is there should always be at least one amazing QB. A QB goes #1 in almost every NFL draft. I realize to do this in the PNFL, you'd need to create a QB near their max POTs or one that has all 8 POTs at the league's ratings maximums for a QB. So, maybe one godlike QB or near godlike QB per draft and then a bunch of the current ones. :lol:
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Dan-Cincinnati

Postby Dan-Cincinnati » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:34 pm

I think thats the wrong way to think about it Steve. The reason QBs go number 1 overall in the NFL is because getting a great QB is hard. Often teams go crazy over QBs who suck...that doesnt happen here obviously because we can see the future. What we should really be targeting is a truly great QB once every 3-4 years, so there are only a few that separate themselves. If there is one every year, they are much less likely to go #1 overall because every team will already have one. If its been 3-4 years since there was a dominant QB, you would see them go #1 and you might even see teams trade up to get them.

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:00 pm

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:My one beef with NFL-style leagues is there should always be at least one amazing QB. A QB goes #1 in almost every NFL draft. I realize to do this in the PNFL, you'd need to create a QB near their max POTs or one that has all 8 POTs at the league's ratings maximums for a QB. So, maybe one godlike QB or near godlike QB per draft and then a bunch of the current ones. :lol:

In this Draft, Daniel Jones (Drafted #6 overall) is POT ranked as the 6th best in the PNFL, based on my weighting system. Drew Lock (42nd overall) in 24th in POTs in the PNFL. That makes him a second-stringer, at best, in an 18-team League. Obviously, you will draft either, depending on the round and what you need in the future. Eight seasons back I drafted Jameis Winston in the first round because I cut Kaepernick, my QB1, when the real deal took a knee in the NFL. The team's needs will dictate when Jones will go in our Draft.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:59 pm

I see it differently. In a few seasons Lock should be a top 10 starter POT player. That is the idea the differentiate. It is a good thing. Move the bell curve to have the avg player lower. I just assume see only a few 99% type players at any position and move the avg to low 98% or even 97%. Should create a real difference between players. No one is even sniffing Bortles in trade. That is what needs to change
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Jerry-Redskins wrote:I see it differently. In a few seasons Lock should be a top 10 starter POT player. That is the idea the differentiate. It is a good thing. Move the bell curve to have the avg player lower. I just assume see only a few 99% type players at any position and move the avg to low 98% or even 97%. Should create a real difference between players. No one is even sniffing Bortles in trade. That is what needs to change

Yep. We need more crappy QBs! Simple supply and demand. To Dan's point, we really see a godlike QB in the NFL draft only every now and then, but we do need to somehow make sure QBs are undeniably picked #1 more often. Probably the best way to make this possible is to make most rookie QBs suck massively.

The history of QB going #1 in the NFL is staggering. They even do it when they turn out to be mediocre. We need our mediocre QBs to look #1 worthy because the only other options are FA fodder:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1
Los Angeles Chargers

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:43 pm

Another option from making a bunch of crappy QBs that just ultimately end up sitting unwanted in FA is to only make a few QBs available each year. Reduce the supply massively.

For the XFBS, I determine how many 3 year QBs exist across the league (was about 20 this offseason) and only 4 of them were blue chip QBs. Because careers go much longer in the PNFL, you would simply look at how many QBs retired and how many teams only have 1 QB or no QBs. That's your QB pool even if it is just 2 or 3 QBs total. Let's say it s3. Then one is freaking amazing, the next one is pretty good, and the last one will be good with some camps. With far less QBs available, you immediately increase their demand and value. Bortles would be hard to resist if there were only 2-4 QBs available each draft.
Los Angeles Chargers

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:15 pm

This I don't like. The basic talent level controls the demand, but restricting quantity tells people what position to draft. Make plenty of everything. Just keep the right distribution at the top. I have no issue with more avg to below guys in the pool. Let folks structure their team how they want.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 pm

I agree, Jerry
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043, 2044
AFC Champion 2043

Return to “Trash Talk”