Make the game more interesing to watch.

James-Eagles

Re: Make the game more interesing to watch.

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:29 pm

Thomas and Justin have gotten better. I think even they would agree if you join the league this year. You be odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl and it wouldn't be close.

Rich any data involving you is not fair. You have always been heads and shoulders above the rest of us. 29 season you won your division 26 times. Won less than 10 games 2 season. One was a season you only coach 11 games you went 9-2.
You won 45 games in a row counting playoffs
If you remove playoffs you won 51 games in a row

https://pnfl.biz/Coaches/Rich%20Colacino.html

The scary thing is Rich is a better GM than he is a coach.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:12 pm

My points remain true. While the gap that season my be exaggerated it's not that uncommon for those seasons.
1998 started out equal, just like your college league.
But a decade later, due to good GMs and bad GMs, it was pretty unbalanced.

As I said, I am for more diversity but not for 40 seasons ago spreads.

And, if I coached now I'd get killed because I'm old, out of gas, and completely unmotivated.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:19 pm

James, I am the last person to say coaching does not matter.
It does!
Great GMs will not suddenly win SBs if they are bad coaches.

I am just warning you that a mix of great GM/Coach could alter the dynamic of the league.
Of course, if you want much larger attribute diversity and it's mixed with a salary cap, that might work.

I feel odd even arguing against something I have complained about for years.
I do want to expand that 5 point difference, just not to 25.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:51 am

Rich-League Officer wrote:James, I am the last person to say coaching does not matter.
It does!
Great GMs will not suddenly win SBs if they are bad coaches.

I am just warning you that a mix of great GM/Coach could alter the dynamic of the league.
Of course, if you want much larger attribute diversity and it's mixed with a salary cap, that might work.

I feel odd even arguing against something I have complained about for years.
I do want to expand that 5 point difference, just not to 25.

5 point gap is fine. The problem isn't the gap between top teams and bottoms teams. The gap I am focus on is the gap between HB1 and hb2-Hb4. It is also that ratings are near perfect. There should be may be one near max at a position a generation may be 2. The rest should be more middle of the road players. Hell with how are rating are now why are their minimums for attributes.

Also bad GM is easy to hide when rating are all the same. If there is a cost to being a bad GM may be they will learn

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:11 am

I think we agree that we need wider ratings, but the question is to what extent do we widen them. I would love to see "some" of what we are seeing in the PCFL, but I want to avoid what Rich is saying here. We saw it with the XFBS and we see it some in the PCFL if you want to really admit it. The wider ratings in the PCFL have raised the scoring and I haven't even changed a player yet on my team and I'm getting beat 63-38 in a shoot out using a PPP that played the Jets close in PNFL.

With this being said, I'm a huge proponent of parity. That is what we have now. It's not always great for broadcasts, but it does even things out. I would like to see a little more parity where we have maybe the last two seeds on each side of the league have more competition versus the last one, but we've got great parity right now. I think it was two seasons ago that only one or two teams were out of the playoff race going into the last two weeks. THAT is what I'd like to see. A highly competitive league. Yes, you will always have the Rich, Justin, or Thomas of the league even if we were miraculously here 30 years from now, you'd still see someone in those roles. But, it's that 3-18 that I'm more concerned about. The group that is competitive enough to fight 16 games for those playoff spots and can every 2-3 seasons rise up to knock those top teams out of the race.

I'm by no means a ratings expert, but I will say that I lean toward what Barney and Rich are saying and that we need to be VERY careful. We are in a situation where one side is what we have now and the opposite side is the blow outs we had in the XFBS. We need to be somewhere in the middle.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:36 am

James, once you see HB1 HB2 HB3 look different, noticeably tiered 1-2-3 at all positions, the gap will grow.
Smart GMs will begin to acquire that depth.
Not saying it's entirely bad but its something to be careful about.
I think the 5 point gap is too small, there should be a penalty by being a bad GM and a reward for being a great one.
The devil is in the details.

But, when I start hearing noise about original vpnfl attributes from 1998, that is a bad idea.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:30 pm

Here are the Min-Max value for the ratings model for PCFL players. To the right are the targeted totals for 5-star,4-star,3-star, 2-star,and 1-star players.

When I looked at those values, it occurred to me that maybe I didn't put enough ratings differentiation into the model to simulate college football. It seemed like a reasonable amount of ratings differentiation, but next to our current compressed PNFL ratings, it looked radical. Here it is below.

pcfl-min-max.jpg
pcfl-min-max.jpg (208.29 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:34 pm

Let me be clear, I do not want to return to 2002-2003 ratings in the PNFL. that would be too radical. Too much differentiation, too much gap between actuals and pots on rookies (Tim Couch had RIDICULOUS ratings), too much gap between team#1 and team #18, etc.

In the PCFLK we have a SAMLL gap between teams #1 and Team #18, about 7 points, but a wider gap in depth on each team, my team has a 5-star HB who is among the best in the league and he's back up by a 4-star and a 3-star and there is some difference there.

That is what we need more of in the PNFL than we have now. How do we get there?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:04 pm

Through the draft!
No global edits of any kind.
If the current drafts are not doing it enough or properly, there are ways to get it right.
It's just a question of will.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:10 pm

Through the draft can definitely get us there... but will it get us there soon enough?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Return to “General”