The truth of 'hidden ratings'

Neil-Raiders

The truth of 'hidden ratings'

Postby Neil-Raiders » Thu May 25, 2023 11:28 am

Approximately a year and half ago I got back into FBPRO after being away from the game for 20+ years. I had an extensive history with the '95 version of the game, but virtually no experience with the '98 version. Through the miracle of DosBox I was able to revive my old '95 custom plays and created an 8-team '95 league to play solitaire. It was actually quite a bit of fun, but after awhile I got the bug to join a league again primarily for the thrill of drafting/trading/team-building with/against other humans.

After searching online for awhile I only came across two active leagues, the PNFL and the AFL12 (http://afl12.net/introduction.htm). Cameron Prichard is basically the 'Charlie' of the AFL12. He is the founder of the AFL12, a team owner, and the league commish. My only interaction with him as been via email, but he appears very knowledgeable about the game and it's history, and he has always been willing to answer my questions regarding various aspects of the game. In addition to maintaining his league, he is interested in doing whatever he can to keep interest in the game alive. While I was researching leagues, learning about the '98 version, the VPNFL, etc. I came across a posting that Cam had written about his history with FBPRO98 and the various leagues he had been associated with, and an interaction that he had years ago with a former Sierra FBPRO developer. I had been meaning to post the link to his story for awhile, but I hadn't been able to find it. I contacted Cam today and he sent me the following link: http://afl12.net/the%20leagues.htm. The reason I give you this backdrop is that I can't verify the truth or accuracy of his story, but based upon my interactions with Cam, I have no reason to believe that it is not true or not accurate.

PS Regardless of the truth/accuracy of "stamped players", they will forever be my excuse for any games I lose in the AFC West ;)

Donovon-Steelers

Re: The truth of 'hidden ratings'

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Thu May 25, 2023 11:45 am

Good read - I noticed this anomaly many years ago, but just chalked it up to "luck" for certain players - how interesting to know there might be something else at play... thanks Neil!

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Thu May 25, 2023 12:07 pm

I too have noticed this anomaly and just chalked it up to a player being given the “Hot” designation during a game. If you’re not familiar with this the game will randomly assign a “Hot” status to a player where his ratings get a significant boost for a short period of time.
Unfortunately the “Cold” status also exists as the opposite of “Hot”, where the player has his ratings lowered and he performs poorly. I’m looking at you, Lamar Jackson.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Thu May 25, 2023 12:42 pm

I think we have successfully identified one of the cylons and his name is DeShone Kizer. :mrgreen:
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Thu May 25, 2023 1:19 pm

I call Big Foot on this one...

"Stamped average or above average regardless of ratings?"

That would mean the ratings themselves are irrelevant and that PPPs are irrelevant.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Tim-Colts

Postby Tim-Colts » Thu May 25, 2023 1:36 pm

So my guess is that Kyle Allen had a "worthless" turd designation!
#1 overall pick 2041, #1 overall pick 2042 => made the playoffs...

Neil-Raiders

Postby Neil-Raiders » Thu May 25, 2023 3:00 pm

From Mitch:

"I call Big Foot on this one...
"Stamped average or above average regardless of ratings?"
That would mean the ratings themselves are irrelevant and that PPPs are irrelevant."

That's not accurate at all. It's possible that 90% (or more) of the players in any given draft are 'stamped' average. The other 10% (or less) could have actuals/potentials so low that those players never even get drafted or are career roster bottom-dwellers because who is going to give LB6 a chance to be LB1 just in case he's actually better than his ratings? Besides, being stamped 'above average' could mean a modest boost, there was no indication that being above average = superstar. Just like the Chiefs... :D

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Thu May 25, 2023 3:05 pm

Interesting read, but never heard of the guy. I did not start with the game until '98 and was one of the original developers/founders of the VPNFL. My group worked directly with the programmers as a beta group and tried to get them to change some stuff. Our group was the impetus behind the 1.08 fix, but we did not get all we wanted, and the company made the programmer stop dealing with us. I also talked to the VP of Marketing when the '99 version crashed and burned, trying to get them to fall back to the '98 2D version. He did not believe that a 2D version would be competitive with the Madden 3D version and decided to scrap the football line in favor of, I believe car racing!

I did know about the Hot & Cold stuff as I have seen it in the game when I played human vs Computer, but the hidden "boost" is news to me. Since we cannot identify it, we cannot use it, and we only have his word for it. Unless someone knows someone that can dig into the source code, or whatever you call it, to see if they can find this special boost, this seems to be useless information for our purposes.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Thu May 25, 2023 4:26 pm

I recall that someone once proved that QB Neil O'Donnell sucked in the game no matter how much you edited his ratings up. Seems like he got the 'below average' tag.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Thu May 25, 2023 4:47 pm

I know exactly what the hidden rating is...

CH - Coaching
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Return to “General”