I call for the end of forum drafts.

James-Eagles

I call for the end of forum drafts.

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Honestly this is ridiculous. My email gets blown up because people have no patience. If we want instant picks lets go back to draftstock. People, we have families, work, and lives. We all live in different time zones and work different hours. If someone puts me on the clock after 10 PM est on a work night I won't be picking until 2-4 pm est the next day. And it is all to rush in picks before you hit someones 8-12 hour dead time and we all wait. One of the things I look forward to each year even attented when I didn't have picks has become my least favorite thing in the league right now.

No time limit is BS. 3 hours was too long to wait.

Justin-Chicago

Re: I call for the end of forum drafts.

Postby Justin-Chicago » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 pm

My recommendation is If your pick is 5 picks away and you know it’s a time when MOST owners will be active, and you will be away most of that time, put the gears in motion to get the pick in. Send a list. Send pre-approval on a trade. Maybe your lost runs out, at least the powers that be know that you tried, and don’t waste their time wondering what’s up.

I get it, I keep weird hours on a regular basis. If there’s a good run of picks I might be the guy who’s out of commission who’s holding things up. All I’ve heard anyone ask is, be respectful of the league, and don’t make a habit of it!

The 5th pick in the first round should be a no brainer. For that matter, so should the next couple, c’mon let’s move on!

P.S. I’m going to sleep. :lol:

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Last I checked this is a hobby not a job. As for priorities it will never come before work or family. I am a single parent of a teenage daughter if she wants my time she gets it.
I also want to point out League Office has been on the clock for an hour. I was rushed so we could get in may be 2-3 picks tonight and most likely would have been in the same place by tomorrow afternoon regardless of how long I took.

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:25 am

James, during the NFL draft, one team is always "on the clock. In Round 1, teams have 10 minutes to make their choice. The decision time drops to 7 minutes in Round 2, and 5 minutes in Rounds 3–6. In Round 7, and for compensatory picks, teams only have 4 minutes to make their choice. As such, NFL teams have planned their picks and started trade negotiations well in advance of their picks. Here, we have been overly generous by doing it on the Message Board with our current system.

Of course family and the job come first! However, like you said, this is a hobby, not work, and fifteen other guys are waiting to pick, and we do not want this to be a two-week process while people try to negotiate trades in the eleventh hour. As such, I am changing the rules for Round 2, so everyone should start planning ahead.

Round 2, Pick 1 has 12-hours to post, or send in a list to Rich for posting. At the end of 12-hours, if there is no posting and no list, that team drops one slot and the next team is up. If it happens a second time during the remainder of the draft, after 12-hours, if there is no posting or no list, that team drops two slots. Additional missed postings without a list will lose slots equal to the number of misses (e.g. third miss, three slots). Pretty simple, be prepared to post in 12-hours from the last pick, or anticipate ahead and send in a list.

For anyone that has been involved in the DraftStock process, you already know that several teams send in lists, so it is just a matter of being prepared.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 pm

So you are setting 12 hour window is stupid. It doesn't account for real life at all. Most people have at least two 8 hour windows where they won't be able to pick without taking into account for family time or other obligations.

As for the NFL they actually only require teams to be prepare for two nights and 1 day that is predetermine over a year ahead of time so not even the NFL requires what you are asking. Again this is their job and if it was my job.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Charlie-49ers wrote:
For anyone that has been involved in the DraftStock process, you already know that several teams send in lists, so it is just a matter of being prepared.

Yes and that was required with weeks notice to be prepare and only required a few hour obligation. You asking people to be prepare may be possibly more than once a day for almost every day for a week. Again your basically say don't take a day off don't do anything because I demand you put this above all else because I want it done in a "reasonable" time. If you are in a hurry do draft stock. It works and if you can make it you can prepare.

Hell do a week of draft in forum before draft stock time. But demanding people to keep windows open that could be changing isn't a hobby. Again NFL isn't that demanding on their teams.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Charlie-49ers wrote:

Yes and that was required with weeks notice to be prepare and only required a few hour obligation. You asking people to be prepare may be possibly more than once a day for almost every day for a week. Again your basically say don't take a day off don't do anything because I demand you put this above all else because I want it done in a "reasonable" time. If you are in a hurry do draft stock. It works and if you can make it you can prepare.

Hell do a week of draft in forum before draft stock time. But demanding people to keep windows open that could be changing isn't a hobby. Again NFL isn't that demanding on their teams.

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 pm

James, send in a list each time before you are up and you will have nothing to worry about!

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:06 pm

To me this is simpler. The forum draft just isn't as fun in my opinion. It is slow and anticlimactic in a way. There is something special about the tension and quick decisions of the live draft. Less fun seems more like work I think. The other issue is expectations. There just will be slow downs with the forum draft. We need to understand that. While 24 hours gets long, we need to accept the slower pace and understand it.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:29 pm

We will have a discussion and take a vote before the next Draft. To me it seemed simple! Everyone has had the Draft Pool for weeks to evaluate. Everyone has cut their teams, picked their Free Agents, and know where the holes are in what position. I am managing two teams and I know if a team needs a LB or a CB, or the other team needs a HB or a DT. If you rank your players and your top pick CB is gone, you either pick the next best CB, or you pick another position that you need where the guys is still available. It is not rocket science, it is an Excel spreadsheet.

And yes James, I will allow people to sleep. So yes, it's probably 12 regular hours and six hours of sleep. I just do not want you, or anyone else to take the next three days to make their next three picks. You should know what you need; make a list.

Return to “General”