PROPOSAL: Rewrite the definition of some defenses

James-Eagles

Re: PROPOSAL: Rewrite the definition of some defenses

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:33 am

I understand it I just don't think it is needed at this time.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:52 am

Lean toward James on this one. I get the idea to create a way to drop created plays into categories similar to the pass zone principle and the run part fits that pretty well. I worry a little it may turn into only pass D's being created. I'm guilty of keeping minimal S on my roster as CB's have been more important on D. Of course, I got ran over this season :cry:

I'm interested to see what others think as ultimately I do not think the proposal is a major change and does create more of a way to define RL and PS, but the defense play fixes going on will likely already have an impact on next season.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:34 am

I'm going to vote no to two safeties for all run categories.

If we want to vote in 1 S required, I'd be for that, but I don't think requiring two would be a good idea. What if I want to run a 4-4 ? You only have three DBs there and you will want two CB's leaving only one S.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:49 am

What if we reduced the requirement to 1 safety for run categories? Everyone has at least two safeties so this shouldn't be an issue.

OPTION A

Update on Custom Plans rules page:
Pass Short: All new Pass Short plays that have two DLs must have two LBs and one safety. At least one of the two DLs must defend the LOS. As such, one DL is permitted to drop into pass coverage, but in any event, at least three players (DLs, LBs, and/or DBs) must defend the LOS.

Update to the Custom Plays rules page:
D05: Defensive Player Formation Requirements
1. Each defensive Play must employ at least.
• 2 DL and 2 or more LBs; or
• 3 DL and 1 or more LBs; or
• 4 DL and 0 or more LBs.
o With 4 or more DLs, no LBs are required for PASS DEFENSIVE PLAYS.
o RUN defense categories except RL must have at least 3 LBs (e.g., 4-3, 3-3, etc.). Applies to Run Razzle Dazzle, Goal Line Run, Run Right, Run Middle.
o RL defenses must have at least 2 LBs (e.g., 3-2, 4-2, etc.).
2. No defensive Play can have more than 7 DBs
• Run category defensive plays must have at least 1 Safety, as these are the hard-hitting, run-stopper DBs.
3. The following restrictions apply to 2-DL Plays:
• 2-DL PASS SHORT defenses must have at least 2 LBs and 7 DBs (at least one must be a Safety).
• 2-DL PASS MEDIUM, PASS LONG, PASS RAZZLE DAZZLE defenses must have at least 2 LBs and 7 DBs (any).

Option A makes sure the current rules we have are clarified, makes the numbers by position mathematically make sense toward 11, distinguishes between run and pass categories through the single safety requirement, and eliminates the ridiculous requirement of 3 LBs for 2-DL PS by making that type of PS the only one that requires a Safety.

If the only hang up on option A is the safety requirement for run category plays, then consider Option B.

OPTION B

Pass Short: All new Pass Short plays that have two DLs must have two LBs and one safety. At least one of the two DLs must defend the LOS. As such, one DL is permitted to drop into pass coverage, but in any event, at least three players (DLs, LBs, and/or DBs) must defend the LOS.

o RUN defense categories except RL must have at least 3 LBs (e.g., 4-3, 3-3, etc.). Applies to Run Razzle Dazzle, Goal Line Run, Run Right, Run Middle.
• 2-DL PASS SHORT defenses must have at least 2 LBs and 7 DBs (at least one must be a Safety).
• 2-DL PASS MEDIUM, PASS LONG, PASS RAZZLE DAZZLE defenses must have at least 2 LBs and 7 DBs (any).

Option B solves our current problem quite well too. The main problem with Option B is that by not requiring a safety for RL there is no distinction between a RL and PS play other than these existing (vague) rules which don't define what logic meets its criteria:
 Pass Short: Must have 4 DBs and at least 5 Players (ANY) must have PASS-FOCUSED defense.
 Run Left: Must have 4 DBs and no more than 6 Players (ANY) can have RUN FOCUSED defense.

OPTION A or OPTION B? Feel free to vote.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:13 pm

LA Chargers vote for OPTION A
Los Angeles Chargers

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:26 pm

Option A
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:42 pm

Just no I would say stop trying to break something that isn't broke.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:51 pm

Lions-James wrote:Just no I would say stop trying to break something that isn't broke.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to fix. The current rules as written for D05 are a mess and are confusing. If you don't like the safety requirement thing you should be voting for option B as all it does is rewrite the existing rules in way that makes sense and eliminate the 3 LB requirement for 2-DL PS. Option B fixes at least minimally something that IS BROKE.
Los Angeles Chargers

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:00 pm

James votes for Option C obviously. He prefers to keep this mess:

OPTION C

From Custom Plans rules page:
Pass Short: New Pass Short plays will require a minimum of two DLs and three LBs. At least one of the two DLs must defend the LOS. As such, one DL is permitted to drop into pass coverage, but in any event, at least three players (DLs, LBs, and/or DBs) must defend the LOS.

From Custom Plays rules page:
o With 4 or more DLs, no LBs are required.
• RUN defense categories except RL must have at least 3 LBs (e.g. 4-3, 3-4, 3-3, etc.). Applies to Run Razzle Dazzle, Goal Line Run, Run Right, Run Middle. <Huh? Why is this listed under #3 which is about 2-DL plays?>
• RL defenses must have at least 2 LBs (e.g. 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, etc.). <Huh? 2-DL plays aren't allowed for RL! Why list here?>
• PASS defenses must have at least 2 LBs (e.g. 2-2, 2-3, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4; 4-2, 4-3, etc.).

QUITE BROKEN TO ME
Los Angeles Chargers

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:48 pm

Here is Option D where we just keep the rules 'as is' but only put some of the text in the right place.

OPTION D

Pass Short: All Pass Short plays that have two DLs must have three LBs. This 3 LB requirement does not apply to PS plays that have more than 2-DLs. At least one of the two DLs must defend the LOS. As such, one DL is permitted to drop into pass coverage, but in any event, at least three players (DLs, LBs, and/or DBs) must defend the LOS.

• 2-DL PASS SHORT defenses must have at least 3 LBs.
• 2-DL PASS MEDIUM, PASS LONG, PASS RAZZLE DAZZLE defenses must have at least 2 LBs.
Los Angeles Chargers

Return to “General”