Why not to trade your 1st round pick

Rich-League Officer

Re: Why not to trade your 1st round pick

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:31 pm

I thought I saw someone say the site was not updated with the 2043 Draft.
It is now.
Plus, the entire draft history of the league is inside the contract file.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:49 pm

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:You mean this pick in 2039?
3631|New England|Kyle Pitts|TE|1-2

Current roster shows:
A TE1 87 Irv Smith
O TE2 85 Tommy Tremble
I TE 89 Kyle Pitts

Makes you want to go hmmmm?!

Yes. Kyle Pitts was drafted 2nd overall and sits on an I-slot behind another 1-2 drafted TE and a 1-17 drafted TE. Draft the right 3 available, at those picks, CBs and maybe NE doesn't give up 56 points to the Jets. and fill the 3 YTE spots with 5th or 6th round drafted till high quality TEs, like TE Tease on my roster.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:17 pm

Yeah. I don't care much about TEs. Probably should care about TE more, but I feel like I'm just fine with TE Krull (Pick #114) and TE Barry (1 point free agent). I like that they have a lot of max ratings beyond the preferred ST/HA. I think they've mainly blocked this season. I believe high AC and AG matter more than ST in blocking for TEs. Only 1 catch for 5 yards so far. I guess with so many receivers on my team, Kizer doesn't even notice them. :lol:
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:45 pm

I agree, TEs for me are blockers and occasional receivers for me. I have 4 on roster total that are plenty good enough without spending higher round picks to get them.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:51 am

The saga continues. Do not forget to talk about #1 pick players themselves.............. Like playing against some with farm teams these days.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:20 pm

This discussion should be about trading draft picks in general, especially those in the first four rounds. To those currently holding my 2044 draft picks acquired in trade, enjoy them,, because there will not be any more of them. Going forward, I will ONLY trade draft picks if I get better picks at a fair price, or if I have a need to trade up in the draft. If I up my game as a general manager I should rarely have NEED to do either one.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:35 pm

Dean-Atlanta wrote:This discussion should be about trading draft picks in general, especially those in the first four rounds. To those currently holding my 2044 draft picks acquired in trade, enjoy them,, because there will not be any more of them. Going forward, I will ONLY trade draft picks if I get better picks at a fair price, or if I have a need to trade up in the draft. If I up my game as a general manager I should rarely have NEED to do either one.

I think if you are on your game as a GM. There are causes to do both. Just like there are causes to trade back. The biggest thing is to have a plan and be realistic about how well you will do. The key is to have a plan and stick with it. Even in the NFL coaches and GMs have to present a plan at interviews. I serious doubt it is keep getting marginally better at position to position.

I give an example I made a lot of moves last few off-seasons. I trade out and into draft and even traded the #1 potential QB. But I ended up with a good future Defense

DE -4-1st round pick
DT 2nd and 3rd
LB 2-1st 2-2nd
CB 6-1st
s 2-1st

Each trade I made some looked good and some looked bad. It was all to set up a solid secondary,strong Lines on both sides plus a good LB core. My team still need a few camps but my defense will be solid. It is done by having a plan and looking at trades as part of that plan.

On paper this trade looks bad at first

Los Vegas sends
2042 first round #6
2042 second round #24
2043 first round

Detroit sends
2042 first round #11
QB Barriere

next trade
VR sends
NYG 2043 second round pick

DET sends
2042 second round pick #24

Seattle Sends
2043 #6
2044 2nd round pick

Detroit Sends
2043 #20
2043 #29
2043 #32(Washington's 2nd from many years of trading his picks back to him for future picks)

Detroit trades
#4 pick 2043
8 points

Atlanta trades
#3 pick 2043

The Trade ended up being
Detroit Send
2042 first round #11-DE Jermaine Johnson
QB Barriere
Detroit's 2nd in 2043(20th) HB Bijan Robinson
Washignton's 2nd 2043(32nd)WR Elijah Higgins

Detroit Recieved
2042 first round #6 CB Trent McDuffie
2043 first round #3 7 CB Joey Porter Jr.
2043 First round 6th pick CB Emmanual Forbes
Seattle's 2nd in 2044(Right now would be 19th pick)

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:27 pm

I think James may have hit on something. It also sometimes happens that you see a plan for a series of trades, but if one of those trades falls through then that hurts the whole series and makes it look worse than it originally was. If James had missed on one or two of the trades in that series, things may not have looked/turned out nearly as well.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:08 pm

Well, we could protect teams this way....
If your team is a bottom 5 team the previous season, you are not allowed to trade your 1st rd pick.
Unless, I work with you and approve the trade.
I could guarantee you that if you traded it, you would get more than fair value :D

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:27 pm

Matt-Jacksonville wrote:I think James may have hit on something. It also sometimes happens that you see a plan for a series of trades, but if one of those trades falls through then that hurts the whole series and makes it look worse than it originally was. If James had missed on one or two of the trades in that series, things may not have looked/turned out nearly as well.

None of those trades were made with any of the other trades in mind. Each trade was made because it fit into the plan without the others. By having a plan and following a plan I was able to be in a position to make those trades when they came available to me. I had other offers and would have been good trades for me on the surface but it would have added older players at the cost of picks or younger players. In the short term it would have improved my team but it would have used resources and not further the plan. This would mean those trades would have set me back in the plan.

The point I was trying to make is have a plan and stick with it. I see way too many GMs being reactionary with their moves or slightly improving their roster with no real direction. Just because you win the trade on paper doesn't mean the trade helps you get closer to winning a Super Bowl. Just like if you lose a trade doesn't mean it was a bad trade. Great example for this is I value starting CB as 1st round talent. I would rarely ever taken a QB earlier than late second round. I have had a lot of success with 4th-5th round QBs over the years. That made trading QB Barrier and a first for 2 earlier first and a 2nd a no brainer.

Return to “Trash Talk”