The trade frenzy...

Dean-Atlanta

The trade frenzy...

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:23 pm

I see we have many trades posted today right after Rich opened trading. Some really interesting moves and definitely some serious GM work being done by several teams. I know you all want to talk trash and talk about who paid The King's Ransom for what in some of these trades. So here's your chance. just be try to be reasonable and play nice. And remember to take none of it personally.

What is the most surprising trade made so far?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Jerry-Redskins

Re: The trade frenzy...

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:28 pm

No surprises so far, but I will give credit when earned. The Falcons appear to be taking advantage of others "panic". Remains to be seen if they pick good players or not(yes it matters :) ), but it is the first time I actually think the Falcons had a plan and others have not and the Falcons are using it.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:51 pm

Lets call this sudden trend of taking points for early draft picks a surprise. I can't decide if it is silly or smart. Seems kind of a panic type move, but maybe not. Don't think I'd ever give up a third for that price, but maybe I'm missing something
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:09 pm

Jerry-Redskins wrote:No surprises so far, but I will give credit when earned. The Falcons appear to be taking advantage of others "panic". Remains to be seen if they pick good players or not(yes it matters :) ), but it is the first time I actually think the Falcons had a plan and others have not and the Falcons are using it.

I developed the plan during the last off-season and have tried to follow it as much as possible. Your roster is what I look at when I asked myself, what kind of plan do I need to create to GM my team and have a roster more like that. Clearly your model works and is sustainable long term, since you had taken over my decimated Washington team in our grand team trade in 2025 season, and you did a great job of rebuilding that team and keeping it rebuilt since. I took over your 7-9 Detroit team, made a few moves and went 11-5 that season but then followed that by decimating that roster with bad trades and not so optimal draft picks, becuase I didn't have a plan nor followed one, and after hearing James tell us 2500 times to make a plan and stick with it, and I trying to do that. After that 11-5 season and playoff appearance, I went through a long cold winter of dreadful losing seasons, and realized 6 months ago that I was on track, after losing to Steve in the 2041 Super Bowl, to begin another long cold winter of dreadful losing seasons.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:13 pm

Jerry-Redskins wrote:Lets call this sudden trend of taking points for early draft picks a surprise. I can't decide if it is silly or smart. Seems kind of a panic type move, but maybe not. Don't think I'd ever give up a third for that price, but maybe I'm missing something

Those trades feel more like gambling, and I'm not really sure who is gambling more on this trades. By having to sign only 2 contracts this season and planning on fewer contracts going forward by keeping my team fairly young, I feel like I'm playing with house money but maybe that thinking is in error. We will see.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:16 pm

I'm thinking the opposite. The folks giving up 3rd's seems off to me. You have to make good picks, but sure seems to be a win for the Falcons over the long term, but maybe the 10 points are worth more being used in other ways
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:05 pm

Jerry-Redskins wrote:I'm thinking the opposite. The folks giving up 3rd's seems off to me. You have to make good picks, but sure seems to be a win for the Falcons over the long term, but maybe the 10 points are worth more being used in other ways

That's what I'm thinking too. 10 points will sign 2 players to a 2 year deal and pay for half of signing a 3rd player for 2 seasons. The model assumes awarding 2-year contracts to SOME players every season, but not 10-12 of them every season, costing 40-48 points when Rich is reducing the points gradually. But that 3rd round pick get a player for 4 seasons, and if the pick is drafted well, that player gets signed on contracts until he retires. Or he's traded for good value as a veteran player that is woth of signing at 2 points per season for another team. 3rd round in the current pool seems worth that, 4th round picks I think are more likely to not be signed after their rookie contract ends. In the 2044 and 2043 drafts, those 4th round pick might have been of that value. That's why I had several of them in those drafts to get players like WR Kevin Austin.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:26 pm

It's very team situational, if you're comfortable with points, it might make sense to buy picks.
If you are the Giants and need points, that is more important than a 3rd rd depth player.
In this case, I like the trade for Shawn.

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:37 am

Rich-League Officer wrote:It's very team situational, if you're comfortable with points, it might make sense to buy picks.
If you are the Giants and need points, that is more important than a 3rd rd depth player.
In this case, I like the trade for Shawn.

Ditto. I like Shawn’s side because I have a 3rd rounder being worth less than 12 points but YMMV.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:46 pm

Trade frenzy . . . we also have FA frenzy going strong too.

I'm trying to understand what is so fascinating about QB Holtan Ahlers that both the Jets and Eagles are bidding on him. the 87 EN (pot)? The 84 DI? The 71 HA (pot)? Eagles have no QB, so I kind of get it for them.

And what's with the bidding up of Kickers?

I liked Shawn's trade for points. I might borrow that idea. I'm historically low on points and I'm tired of that. Was painful to watch FA from the sidelines.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Return to “Trash Talk”