Getting us to use TEs more as receivers

Dean-Atlanta

Getting us to use TEs more as receivers

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:25 pm

We need to do this if we are emulating the NFL. And even in college FB. TEs are more important as receivers.

Is it the low HA rating? WRs maxx out at 96, TEs only 90. If we raised HA on new TEs to max of 96 like WRs, keep all other ratings the same, would they be better receivers and would we use them more?

Something to think about and discuss...
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Jerry-Redskins

Re: Getting us to use TEs more as receivers

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:37 pm

It's just as much play calling. Ask the Eagles and TE Likely how they are doing. Tired of the constant want to change things around here. Lets enjoy the ride with a game whose software is designed around the 1998 game. Full competitive league. Sure seems to be in a good place to me.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:26 pm

Are we emulating the NFL in 1998 or the NFL in 2024?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:53 am

Jerry-Redskins wrote:It's just as much play calling. Ask the Eagles and TE Likely how they are doing. Tired of the constant want to change things around here. Lets enjoy the ride with a game whose software is designed around the 1998 game. Full competitive league. Sure seems to be in a good place to me.

Amen to this.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:16 am

Just pointing out two thing. First, that the actual guts of the software were set to the style of play in 1998. We can change rules around the periphery like roster management and lots of testing led us to where we are, but ultimately we have to accept we have worked to a decent place on the 25 year old game engine itself. Second, the play in the league is really good right now with a full set of owners.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:36 am

James-Eagles wrote:
Jerry-Redskins wrote:It's just as much play calling. Ask the Eagles and TE Likely how they are doing. Tired of the constant want to change things around here. Lets enjoy the ride with a game whose software is designed around the 1998 game. Full competitive league. Sure seems to be in a good place to me.

Amen to this.

I can get on board with this as well.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:50 am

The answer isn't increasing the ratings range for TEs.

Look at the early seasons of the PNFL. There were 20 or so TEs in the Top 100 in receptions. There 23 TEs in the Top 100 in receptions in the NFL last season.

The decline of the TE came when CB ratings were increased when you compare the season data. Also, as the play pool became filled with dime packages for RL defenses and PM defenses were allowed to be used on early downs (that was a move away from VPNFL standards), TEs became obsolete in the passing game.

Spread the CB ratings out and restrict defensive play calls to RL, RM and RR on 1st and 2nd down... that will make the TE more relevant.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:33 am

This suggestion I posted above is not to increase SP-AC-AG on TEs but the HA. I see no reason why the top TE should ONLY be 90
HA when the top WR is 96 HA. The best TE in the NFL does not have worse hands skills than the best WR. Less SP and AC, yes, but not lower HA.

Lowering CB ratings is irrelevant here, because it is NOT the issue I raised. And I reject this gospel that NERFING our player ratings is the answer to all our ills.

With 90 HA ratings, TEs catch fewer contested passes. You can't tell me someone like Travis Kelce doesn't catch most contested passes.

Addressing the usage of nickel dime packages on first and ten, that's a legitimate issue to discuss in off-season rules discussions. NERFING ratings I will NEVER vote for unless we want to completely re-design or re-orient our ratings via an off-season global edit in FPSEDIT.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:12 am

@Dean

Several seasons ago, Charlie did want you suggested. He raised the POT for TE HA from 85 to 90.

When this happened, not only did the Top TE have 90 HA, but nearly ever TE we've had in the draft has had 89 to 90 HAs.

Yet, even though most TEs have had the increased HA ratings, TE production in the passing game has remained unchanged.

If we increase the TE HA POT so our Top TEs have 96 HAs, you know that ever TE will end up with 95 to 96 HAs, not just some of them and it will not have a dramatic impact on TE performance. It will impact it some, but not much when the TEs are being covered by players with higher SP, AC, AG and the same HA.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:49 pm

No more changes. No more changes.

Folks have too much time on their hands and should be game planning I think. I just want to play a few seasons with no rule changes. Tired of the constant churn.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Return to “General”