Situation # and stop clock logic

Brian-Broncos

Situation # and stop clock logic

Postby Brian-Broncos » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:57 pm

I jumped the gun with my earlier email. I was misunderstanding when timeouts get called and when situation # is determined.

HINT: The time listed in the game log has no bearing on the situation # (except by coincidence when the clock is stopped)

I'm pretty sure this is right:
  1. Situation # is identified using time remaining when the game enters the play selection screen
  2. A timeout will be taken right then if the newly identified situation calls for it (or STOPCLOK selected if no timeouts remain for the offense and it's not 4th down)
  3. The time logged in the game log is the time remaining when the play was called (i.e. switches from play selection to gameplay)
Previously, I was thinking a timeout would be called at completion of a play/situation, but really it is called at the very beginning of a situation (i.e. before a play is selected). Which makes sense seeing how that's when the game needs to determine if STOPCLOK should be called.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. - George Carlin

Return to “General”