Rule Opinion re:Throw a Fake

Charlie-49ers

Rule Opinion re:Throw a Fake

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:57 am

Rule R04 and Rule P05 both prohibit a receiver from throwing a fake within 5 yards of another player. This dates back some 20 years when it was believed that this was an AI Buster. I have done extensive testing of this theory and the results do not confirm that this is a consistent AI Buster. On a rare basis, I have seen this happen, but it is not a routine AI Buster. As in the NFL, we see a defender faked out, sometimes for long gainers. As we all know, it would be nice to see some more effective Pass Medium plays. As such, I would like to propose that we allow new Custom Plays using the FAKE to see if they are effective. These plays would not be exclusive to the team submitting them but rather released to the league as they are adopted for all to use. To track these plays the naming process would include the letter "F" (e.g. SF4Fslot, SF5Fzout, SF6FmidZ).

For the first half of the season, I would allow (not required) each team to submit one play in each Pass Medium category. At mid-season we will reexamine the issue to see if we want to expand the program.

Your quick opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve-LA Chargers

Re: Rule Opinion re:Throw a Fake

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:06 am

I think we should allow. The IN of our DBs and LBs is high enough to keep it realistic.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Xzlent1 - Seattle

Postby Xzlent1 - Seattle » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:08 am

I agree. We should allow it and review at midseason.

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:52 am

Would use of these be restricted within game plans?

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:06 am

I am strongly against this proposal. My experience with “throw a fake” plays show that they are clearly AI busters even though our current IN ratings make it unlikely or unusual for someone to be faked out.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:17 am

I'll abstain...

However, everyone who votes for the "in-season" test is cool with it... until they see their team give up a TD because the defense froze during the play. :D
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Donovon-Steelers

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:24 am

In the real NFL, I see misread coverage (aka busted plays) every game, usually multiple times in fact. But in the PNFL, this seems extraordinarily rare. I vote yes, just to open it up a little and make it more realistic, ala Rich's point on the other thread: what's the point having a fake if it never works?

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:32 am

How did this fail? We only have one strong 'No'. Charlie, you aren't going to get unanimous support. :lol:
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:41 am

I will wait until end-of-day and have more discussion, then I will make a decision this evening.

Shawn-Giants

Postby Shawn-Giants » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:30 pm

If the IN and DI are high enough to combat this, then why even go through the effort of trying? I don't think this is necessary, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. I'm indifferent I'm not against it, just doesn't make sense, if we already claim the Already suffice IN and DI can combat this why are we trying to prove it otherwise?

Return to “General”