Rule Opinion re:Pass Short/Medium

Shawn-Giants

Re: Rule Opinion re:Pass Short/Medium

Postby Shawn-Giants » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:29 am

Share the same sentiments as Justin. Provides for a more diverse pool of plays and allows for certain plays to attack different defenses differently.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:35 am

@Charlie - At least require that the end point of the route must not be 0-5 yards from the LOS - must be beyond (not on or before) the line 5 yards from the LOS. Easy compromise for now. Baby steps.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:49 am

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:@Charlie - At least require that the end point of the route must not be 0-5 yards from the LOS - must be beyond (not on or before) the line 5 yards from the LOS. Easy compromise for now. Baby steps.

The issue that I have is not the end point of the route, but rather the route of the Primary receiver never gets beyond 10 yards of the LOS and is submitted as a Pass Medium play. These are Pass Short in my mind. However, it gets sticky with a receiver Look for Pass off the line.
That is why I elected to drop this issue. I am open to further discussion.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:58 pm

Charlie-49ers wrote:Second, if we expanded the yardage to 5-20 or 5-30 then what is the purpose of the passing zones?

The purpose of having passing zones is the absence of them leads to PS and PM plays being able to be 5-100,

We do need SOME passing zone rules, but we can debate and disagree how restrictive they should be.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:00 pm

Justin-Chicago wrote:My first impression is, I don't like it. Completion percentages are too low as is. The medium categories should be an extension of the short categories, if one chooses to do so.

Exactly. Requiring nothing shorter than 10 yards in PM plays will inevitably lower completion percentages more. And restrict coaching styles and play design styles. I would be another unnecessary rule, and we have too many rules already.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:10 pm

OK, I am going to let this one go for now, but look for a proposal for next season.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm

Gotta say. A lot of those drag plays were submitted as Medium because they go 6-10 yards. To me that's the benchmark.

Can it consistently get 6 yards if PML or PMM when completed? Can it get 10 yards if it's PMR? These plays are meant to consistently get 6-10 yards, not huge gains.

Similarly, PSL and PSM should get 2-5 yards consistently and PSR should get 5 consistently.
Los Angeles Chargers

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:13 pm

Simple rule of thumb though: If no routes go 10 or more yards, it's pass short. Must have a route going more than 10 yards to be pass medium.
Los Angeles Chargers

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:15 pm

Here are 3 examples of plays I created where the primary receiver runs shorter than 10 yards beyond the LOS.

ATF4Arg1.jpg
ATF4Arg1.jpg (73.96 KiB) Viewed 117 times

ATF4Arg1.jpg

ATF4Arg1.jpg

In all three instances, the primary receiver was shorted to increase thew completion percentage. ALL of these tested 10+ in yards per completion in sims. These are CLEARLY medium pass plays in design and results from sims. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th receivers are all 10+. If these are revised to run the first receiver 10 or more, it kills the completion per4ecentage without a sufficiently good enough rise in yards per completion. If I could have achieved 17 yards completion without drastically lowering the completion percentage in designing these plays, I would have done that.
Attachments
ATF4ZcsB.jpg
ATF4ZcsB.jpg (73.28 KiB) Viewed 117 times
KCC7Aout.jpg
KCC7Aout.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:16 pm

It showed the same play 3 times.

ATF4Arg1.jpg
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Return to “General”