Tight Ends Utility

Donovon-Steelers

Tight Ends Utility

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:47 pm

We just had a little mention in our pnfl chat how tight ends don't reflect the real value in the NFL. Somebody mentioned they were nerfed at some time (which is way before me), but at this point they're really only good for blocking.

If we want to be more NFL realistic, maybe the more astute coaches with ratings should come up with an adjustment scale to help improve their offensive abilities. Right now we don't have plays that work for them except a few little curl / out routes, but I suspect there aren't many plays in the pool because they're just not effective enough to have value, which again, is due to their poor ratings.

Apologies if you guys have discussed this in the past, but at this point it's just like having a extra lineman who catches maybe one pass a game like an NFL 3rd stringer.

Mitch-Oilers

Re: Tight Ends Utility

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:22 pm

Donovon-Steelers wrote:We just had a little mention in our pnfl chat how tight ends don't reflect the real value in the NFL. Somebody mentioned they were nerfed at some time (which is way before me), but at this point they're really only good for blocking.

If we want to be more NFL realistic, maybe the more astute coaches with ratings should come up with an adjustment scale to help improve their offensive abilities. Right now we don't have plays that work for them except a few little curl / out routes, but I suspect there aren't many plays in the pool because they're just not effective enough to have value, which again, is due to their poor ratings.

Apologies if you guys have discussed this in the past, but at this point it's just like having a extra lineman who catches maybe one pass a game like an NFL 3rd stringer.

The TE HA ratings were raised 5 pts a few season ago. The TE ratings haven't been "nerfed". The MAX ratings are the same or higher than they hsve always been for TEs.

In my opinion, the issue is all WRs are rated much higher than our highest rated TEs. If you look at the original PNFL/VPNFL ratings scale, MAX ratings for TEs equal MIN ratings for WRs. However, with our current player ratings spreads, our best TE is no where close to our worst receiver.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:38 pm

Here is one of my TEs, he's ablocker:

O TE2 89 Luke Schoonmaker OK 1 0-0 0 74 84 84 90 88 85 89 88 682

If we created a pass catching TE that would still be 682 total andnot too highly rated:

80 88 88 72 92 85 89 88 682

That TE would be a true receiver and offensive threat.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:40 pm

Dean-Atlanta wrote:Here is one of my TEs, he's ablocker:

O TE2 89 Luke Schoonmaker OK 1 0-0 0 74 84 84 90 88 85 89 88 682

If we created a pass catching TE that would still be 682 total andnot too highly rated:

80 88 88 72 92 85 89 88 682

That TE would be a true receiver and offensive threat.

AC and AG too high
AFC Champion 2043

Donovon-Steelers

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:10 pm

You could argue that the top tier tight ends in the league should have HA equal to at least average WRs. That would be a 3-4 point raise in max HA, which would make them more effective without messing with speed. That way it wouldn't have any effect on coverage from the LBs.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:42 pm

@Dean - I think in concept what you shared makes sense. However, if we begin creating "Super Players" at TE (above their MAX), when will the request come for other positions like LB, S, DE, DT, etc. Maybe that's a direction we decide to go as a league. However, we need to think of the consequences.

Ultimately, I think its about decreasing the number of star WRs so that our best TEs can compete with our lower rated WRs.

The rating that will require the most thought in my opinion is the ST rating for TE.

If we wanted to adjust the ratings scale for TEs vs creating special TE, here is a suggestion on adjusting the scale:
Attachments
TE WR ratings.jpg
TE WR ratings.jpg (76.84 KiB) Viewed 194 times
AFC Champion 2043

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:10 pm

Have you seen Kelce? Not exactly an agility and speed type of TE. He simply towers over and runs over defenders and has huge HAnds for catching the ball. I think what we have is quite reflective of NFL TEs. In fact, I'd reduce their AG to a max of 79 similar to their SP. They can ACcelerate quickly but aren't fast and acrobatic.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:34 pm

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:Have you seen Kelce? Not exactly an agility and speed type of TE. He simply towers over and runs over defenders and has huge HAnds for catching the ball. I think what we have is quite reflective of NFL TEs. In fact, I'd reduce their AG to a max of 79 similar to their SP. They can ACcelerate quickly but aren't fast and acrobatic.

@Steve - I agree. That's why I think it's about continuing to bring WR ACTs down so the TEs are more attractive.
AFC Champion 2043

Shuggy-Packers

Postby Shuggy-Packers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:42 pm

All this because I offer to starting TE for sale :roll:
take it easy,
Shuggy
PNFL Packers

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:23 pm

Mitch-Oilers wrote:
Steve-LA Chargers wrote:Have you seen Kelce? Not exactly an agility and speed type of TE. He simply towers over and runs over defenders and has huge HAnds for catching the ball. I think what we have is quite reflective of NFL TEs. In fact, I'd reduce their AG to a max of 79 similar to their SP. They can ACcelerate quickly but aren't fast and acrobatic.

@Steve - I agree. That's why I think it's about continuing to bring WR ACTs down so the TEs are more attractive.

Nerfing WR ratings makes absolutely no sense. Remember we are emulating the NFL. WR SP and AC ratings have NOT gotten any slower since 1998, the year FBPro was made. The better pass catching TEs (not all TEs) are quicker and faster in 2023 than TEs in 1998.

Therefore, adjusting the ratings of the pass catching type TEs is the right way to emulate the NFL. not nerfing WR ratings.

Drastically reducing our player ratings is a solution in search of a non-existent problem. We need to flatly REJECT this constant drumbeat to nerf our player ratings.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Return to “General”