Receiver Fake Rule

Charlie-49ers

Receiver Fake Rule

Postby Charlie-49ers » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:42 am

The following is the current 'Fake' rule and has been in existence since the turn of the century. The origin stems from early discussions that "sometimes" a defender will cover the wrong receiver after a 'fake'. I have been testing the hell out of this concept for the last hour and I think that I saw it happen one time in maybe fifty tries of the same play.

Since our Pass Medium plays (all categories) are relatively anemic, except for some of the Timed passes, I would like to propose that each team be allowed (not required) three Custom plays (different 'Medium' categories), which, in effect, violates the current rule. All plays will be named "fake' (e.g. SF4Xfake; SF5Bfake; and SF6Cfake) so that we can track them. IMHO, innovation in the Pass Medium categories is minimal and maybe this will open it up a little.

P05: Throw Fakes

1. Any skilled Player at or past the LOS (RBs/WRs/TEs) may not throw a Fake within 5 yards of any other skilled Player.

Please post responses in this thread ASAP.

Jerry-Redskins

Re: Receiver Fake Rule

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:56 am

We can test, but I can tell you it if 2 O players are next to each other the fake can draw both defenders on a regular basis if they are also close.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:19 am

Just did a quick bunch formation with man D and I will admit it is less than I remember, but it is freezing another DB about 25% of the time.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Moxs - Patriots

Postby Moxs - Patriots » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:44 am

I am against any change to the fake rule. I have seen several instances of DB's in man coverage dropping their assignment or turning around for no reason etc. While I was working on plays.
The game engine has its quirks and the fakes are one of them we need to keep minimized as much as possible inmy opinion.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:01 pm

It doesn't affect me since I am not coaching but why is a defender occasionally being faked out a bad thing?
Do NFL players sometimes screw up? get frozen for a second and mess up in coverage?
That's part of football and play design.
I have always been against outlawing plays like this unless you told me 95% of the time the defender is frozen in place and its a TD each time its called.
If someone created a play where 10% of the time it fooled a defender and left some one open, I would welcome that!

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:41 pm

It's the time multiple defenders freeze that creates the issue for me. The occasional successful fake would not be an issue, but freezing multiple defenders does open up potential issues. Always been good with fakes, just not in bunch formation type situations where the patterns are already designed to rub defenders(which is fine).
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:49 pm

I can't speak to multiple defenders being frozen because its 2 decades since I was in the editor.
But, if it's a legal play design that occasionally creates a freeze for one defender, that's fair game to me.
What is the point of "fake" in the editor if all 11 defenders can never be faked out?

The NFL defenses are constantly being faked out creating huge holes for passing games all the time.

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:32 pm

I used to make a living off this type of play back before it was outlawed. It’s definitely an AI Buster. However, our defenders have such high IN that they rarely fall for the fake, so the rule may not matter much anymore.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:36 pm

I think fakes are more effectively with short passes because a defender who is successfully faked is only faked for s short amount of time. Fakes work better with short passes, and could be devastating when used on short timed passes. With medium passes the faked defenders have time to catch up and still cover.

Medium passing is less effective in some ways because FBPro employs a "catch up" feature where, there longer ther pass route, the more the defender catches up to the receiver. Fakes will not help counter that.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:26 pm

Dean-Atlanta wrote:Medium passing is less effective in some ways because FBPro employs a "catch up" feature where, there longer ther pass route, the more the defender catches up to the receiver. Fakes will not help counter that.

I have observed that the player possessing the ball is slowed down relative to other players. I believe this could be countered by downward adjusting the EN of the defenders a bit.

Return to “General”