Crazy? Idea

James-Eagles

Re: Crazy? Idea

Postby James-Eagles » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:23 pm

Let me explain why a salary cap won't work.
Lets set the cap at 315m the average

Lets take LA for example
LA is simple they will cut
Needs to cut 30m
Ok they cut Prescott and Kizer sign to .5m players under cap
Who is going to sign either of those players

Minnesota needs to cut 45m in cap
QB-Jackson 15m
QB Lock 15m
K Gabe Brkic 3.1
CB Ambry Thomas 6.5
CB Marcus Jones 8m
And replacing with min roster guys

GO look at them at thos prices and a cap you aren't picking those players up.

The reality is most of us will run with 1 great QB and a rookie QB We cut some depth at WR, CB , LB but it be are 4 or 5 one of those and the reality is no one will pick those guys up because adding them will end up putting them over the cap. Yes are rosters wouldn't be any good but we still wouldn't have a FA market. I told you exact what you need to do to get a Free Agent Market

All contracts offers are Restrictive. You have to match the highest bidder of another team when you resign someone. The reality is the means to sign someone is the same no matter the ability so you are going to resign the best starting 22 and cut those that cost way too much that no one else will want them or the margin players who cost too much for the value they bring. The reality is no one else would want either for those reasons. This really isn't rocket science just because you want something to do something does mean it will.

It was like ending trade between the Super Bowl and and end of season. It would increase trades at the deadline. It didn't really. It add to Free Agency it didn't. It literally did basically nothing. I said it at the time. We need to stop trying to make things hard thinking they will change things when really it doesn't matter how much teeth you give it because the more teeth you give it the less the other teams will have to sign these new Free Agents.

I will be 100% clear. I had to cut a built roster because we put in a cap that I voted for hoping it would be good for the league. It was good for the league and my roster got torched. The day a cap or cap program enter the league will be the last day I am in the league period end of story. It won't do what you want and basically it would directly screw me.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:23 pm

wasn't good for the league

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:25 pm

If you all want a deeper FA pool without a salary cap that has teeth the only way is to drastically reduce points so teams will not be able to re-sign all their starters to contracts. It will increase the value of rookies too. Like the NFL.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:30 pm

Dean-Atlanta wrote:If you all want a deeper FA pool without a salary cap that has teeth the only way is to drastically reduce points so teams will not be able to re-sign all their starters to contracts. It will increase the value of rookies too. Like the NFL.

Yes then people wouldn't have points to bid on FA which again defeats the purpose. The issue isn't the amount of points. It is that #1 QB cost 2 points per year and so do the 3rd string HB

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:49 pm

I don't like the idea of an informed boost at all. I prefer the randomness. The random boost in the late rounds keep those picks relevant. If the boost was informed, those guys would not be hanging around till rounds 4-7. Guys would load up on picks and use those at worst in round 4.

Tim-Colts

Postby Tim-Colts » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:59 pm

Let me preface this by saying, "I'm not advocating for Rich to spend tons of time to bring back retired players". Here is what happened at least to the guys I cut. I cut 10 players since I had a full roster and PS. All 10 players retired or disappeared from the FA pool. One of them was my T1 last season and I really was hoping to get him back for at least 1 more year, but he was like 13th year. Another was HB Salvon Ahmed whom I believe would have been a great HB2 or HB3 on a roster. I cut 2 backup CB, that might have similar players in the FA pool, but will probably cost too many points as there are only a couple that are similar or better.

I have not spent tons of time looking through FA pool, but the ones I did look at were not any good. It was hard to even spot a backup quality player in my opinion. It looks like most of what is there was there during the season last year, and nobody wanted them. That is the part that is slightly disappointing to me. What I could see is owners might be more willing to buy players from another team for points instead of picks, since we don't have anything else to spend them on this season. I will extend out the guys on my roster and probably not even dip into FA, not much point.

As for salary cap, what we have is fine. Not sure how it became the hill James is dying on in a discussion about rookie pots, but here we are...
#1 overall pick 2041, #1 overall pick 2042 => made the playoffs...

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:53 pm

Matt-Jacksonville wrote:I don't like the idea of an informed boost at all. I prefer the randomness. The random boost in the late rounds keep those picks relevant. If the boost was informed, those guys would not be hanging around till rounds 4-7. Guys would load up on picks and use those at worst in round 4.

So people will keep hoarding late round picks. If you have informed boost players that might go 4th-7th round might get taken 2nd and 3rd decreasing the value of those picks and also decrease the value of hoarding them. It could lead to teams who need those picks to fill out rosters being able to trade for them on the cheap once the players with possible boost are gone.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:55 pm

Tim-Colts wrote:Let me preface this by saying, "I'm not advocating for Rich to spend tons of time to bring back retired players". Here is what happened at least to the guys I cut. I cut 10 players since I had a full roster and PS. All 10 players retired or disappeared from the FA pool. One of them was my T1 last season and I really was hoping to get him back for at least 1 more year, but he was like 13th year. Another was HB Salvon Ahmed whom I believe would have been a great HB2 or HB3 on a roster. I cut 2 backup CB, that might have similar players in the FA pool, but will probably cost too many points as there are only a couple that are similar or better.

I have not spent tons of time looking through FA pool, but the ones I did look at were not any good. It was hard to even spot a backup quality player in my opinion. It looks like most of what is there was there during the season last year, and nobody wanted them. That is the part that is slightly disappointing to me. What I could see is owners might be more willing to buy players from another team for points instead of picks, since we don't have anything else to spend them on this season. I will extend out the guys on my roster and probably not even dip into FA, not much point.

As for salary cap, what we have is fine. Not sure how it became the hill James is dying on in a discussion about rookie pots, but here we are...

Salary cap is a hill I will die on atleast until this group of players retire. I built this team knowing there was no pains for a Salary cap especially since it clearly failed. I have vote many times for things that weren't in my teams best interest but I thought they were for the good of the league. The previous cap being one of them. I was wrong about the cap and I am not going to scarifices my team for the league to make the same mistake again.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:10 pm

Charlie-49ers wrote:I am always open to new or resurfaced ideas that enhance the game's fun or make it more NFL-like. However, I am not a big fan of this one. I believe the game is random enough with the known attributes, so I see this as adding stress, not enjoyment. I believe that there are other ideas or suggestions that we could consider.

1) If you want more valuable FAs then we need to reconsider a Salary Cap. If you cannot afford all those good players, then they need to be in the FA Pool so someone else can pick them up.
2) If you want some mystery in the Draft, then you need an offsetting random Bust for some number of players against the random Boost. For example, a random Boost (to be determined each season) for rounds 4-7 and a random Bust (one attribute {or more}, one point) for Rounds 1-3.
3) Do we want to tinker with attributes? For example, are there key attributes we can enhance by raising the max one point, adding one player in each position in the first season, and only one player at that max POT each season thereafter? For example, add one WR next Draft with a POT SP of 85 and only one WR with a POT SP of 85 each Draft thereafter. This could be done across all positions, and we could add a new attribute each season for each position.

1 - I enjoyed the aspect of a cap and wish we had one again. However, I won't quit if we don't have a cap. :)
2 - I suggested a "random bust" a few seasons ago. However, it was voted down.
3 - I'm not in favor of raising the MAX to create player differentiation. I believe creating more draft pools with more variance in players from bottom to top is the better player. The only MAX ratings I would consider raising are QB and HB hands based on the style of play today.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Shawn-Giants

Postby Shawn-Giants » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:49 pm

You guys have an extensive imagination, however I'm the new get off my lawn guy.

There's enough mystery and complexity to the game outside of the X's and O's.

None of these discussions on changes will increase the enjoyment level. I don't think anything needs to be fixed or radically changed with hopes of making it better.

If you're looking for some additional excitement, get in the play editor and create an Innovative PML play.

Return to “General”