Crazy? Idea

Rich-League Officer

Crazy? Idea

Postby Rich-League Officer » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:23 pm

Does anyone have an appetite to have hidden POTS for each draft class.
Where the only person who knows is me.
All players will show 99 potentials in all attributes.
After the draft, I unhide the real potentials.
This would add some randomness and spice to the draft for sure.
It's not like the NFL knows every players ceiling.
Just curious because it's very easy and doable.

Donovon-Steelers

Re: Crazy? Idea

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:33 pm

I thought of this same thing many times over and was going to post about it, but figured it would get shot down. It would certainly allow booms & busts with each draft. If not hiding all POTs, maybe not knowing 1-3 categories per position (the AG of WRs, the HA of DBs, etc) would work. This would still allow "scouting" like the NFL, but with tangible unknowns, which is realistic.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:20 pm

I'm not necessarily against it; however, if the FA pool is going to be crap, it might liven things up a bit at least after the draft. You never know what players may go undrafted with really good POTS. On the other hand, if people are drafting based on actuals, that puts more of a premium on the first few rounds. This in turn limits the good talent even further but, that may be what everyone wants.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:53 pm

Count me as interested

- It would make the need for ratings bumps in later rounds mute. It woyld happen naturally.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:37 pm

This only works if Rich is going to take over creating the rookies every season. Otherwise I would vote against this.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:41 pm

No interest on my end.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Shawn-Giants

Postby Shawn-Giants » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:24 pm

No interest over here. The attributes are already a mystery although they have numbers representing them, we e all see players play above and below their ratings. This feature is already inherently included in the game.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:15 am

Dean-Atlanta wrote:This only works if Rich is going to take over creating the rookies every season. Otherwise I would vote against this.

Technically Charlie could do the pool and Rich could do the POTS. This would complete about 80% of the work before it got to Rich.

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:16 am

I am always open to new or resurfaced ideas that enhance the game's fun or make it more NFL-like. However, I am not a big fan of this one. I believe the game is random enough with the known attributes, so I see this as adding stress, not enjoyment. I believe that there are other ideas or suggestions that we could consider.

1) If you want more valuable FAs then we need to reconsider a Salary Cap. If you cannot afford all those good players, then they need to be in the FA Pool so someone else can pick them up.
2) If you want some mystery in the Draft, then you need an offsetting random Bust for some number of players against the random Boost. For example, a random Boost (to be determined each season) for rounds 4-7 and a random Bust (one attribute {or more}, one point) for Rounds 1-3.
3) Do we want to tinker with attributes? For example, are there key attributes we can enhance by raising the max one point, adding one player in each position in the first season, and only one player at that max POT each season thereafter? For example, add one WR next Draft with a POT SP of 85 and only one WR with a POT SP of 85 each Draft thereafter. This could be done across all positions, and we could add a new attribute each season for each position.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:27 am

1. Salary Cap will never work unless we go to a salary cap program and those are meh at best because Jets players would be over pay and Atlanta's players would be under paid because it was would stats based. If we do it like the old cap it wouldn't help FA because like I said in the email. People would keep the top 20-26 players on their roster the bottom half would be late round picks and players making minimum. So you still won't really get any starters in Free Agency. This really is just a fact of PNFL and really is a dead issue

2. I posted a thing about boost that I thought was a great Idea. Preselect players before the draft that have a chance of a boost or even a negative hit. Information is already known. Then it is a GM choice if they want to take the player earlier for say a 30% chance of a boost. Or in my suggest a high risk player who could either be a boost or a super start how early do you take said player.

3.I like the currect direction of the draft. I think we should keep it as is

4. Hiding potentionals is a no go for me besides we don't get to see the hidden rating anyways so it is still a crap shoot.

Return to “General”