Live Draft?

Mitch-Oilers

Re: Live Draft?

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:02 pm

I'm fine either way.

I've grown to like the forum draft. With owner activity at a high, the forum draft usually takes about 4 days over a long weekend.

If we do a hybrid draft, I believe we should do it NFL-style and start the draft on a Thursday evening and plan to have it completed Sunday afternoon.

Whatever rounds are left Sunday can be done on Draftsock either live or a list.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:57 pm

I send lists for late rounds when I head to bed, but they are short lists intended to keep things moving a bit. I have zero want to build a massive list if I can't make the draft night. We made the switch to the forum to accommodate all owners and eliminate any potential advantages due to not being able to attend. I get the appeal of live and believe it is better for me, but see no reason to not forum draft and keep the playing field as level as possible. Just not in a hurry.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:40 pm

Rich-League Officer wrote:My feelings about the draft are this...
The first 3 rounds are fine on the forum, pace moves briskly for a couple of days.
But, the last 4 rounds can get brutal. Coaches ruminating over mediocre players who are nothing more than depth.

So, how about a hybrid draft of the first 3 rounds on the forum, last 4 rounds in draftsock with a timer that is enforced.
If you cannot make it, you provide ME with a detailed player list/position list to keep it moving.

I think 4th round picks are often as crucial as 3rd round picks, I would suggest 1-4on the forum and 5-7 via draft sock and/or lists.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:03 pm

I vote Hybrid. As has been said, the top 3-4 rounds are the guys who will be difference makers. The last 3-4 are guys we are hoping to get a boost usually or to fill a roster.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:43 pm

Crucial or not, why can't you draft quality 4th rd players in draftsock.
This is the problem and why it takes 36 hours for the first 2 rounds and sometimes 5 days to finish.
I am guessing some coaches would say 5th rd picks are important too.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:22 pm

It is easy to make a bad decision in two minutes and much easier to make a good choice in five minutes. But I agree it shouldn't take 3 hours to draft tone player.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:32 pm

The question I have is, unless we gain a full week, what good is going into Draftsock at all?

The time from the start of free agency to TC being due has been pretty consistent. Rushing through the later rounds of the draft gives us what exactly? An extra two days for TC? Are any owners really excited for that?

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:41 am

The more I've thought about, I prefer a forum draft.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:15 am

This is a PNFL rarity. Justin and I are on the same page based on his above post.

I also enjoy the offseason without the game planning grind. Rich keeps things moving weekly at a nice pace. I like being able to take a deep breath.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:06 am

XFBS draft was a forum draft and it took forever to do even with lists and brutal time limits. Usually a full month! I would recommend the hybrid draft suggested by Rich. Go as many rounds as possible in the forum but once it has clearly become a snail pace, Draftsock the rest.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Return to “General”