Live Draft?

Shawn-Giants

Live Draft?

Postby Shawn-Giants » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:09 pm

Greetings...I don't have any wild rule proposals, but want to know if well ever have a live draft again? :!:

The last forum draft went by in like 8 days, we can have the draft be done the day it starts or do rounds 1-3 Live and the rest on the forum.

The forum drafts have been great and getting more efficient each one, but would like for the owners who have never experienced a live draft using draft stock the opportunity to experience that, it presents a different strategic component to the draft along with allowing it to be completed relatively fast.

Oh and Steve, bring back XFBS :D

Justin-Chicago

Re: Live Draft?

Postby Justin-Chicago » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 pm

I kind of like the forum draft but would be a definite Yes to some more XFBS!

Shawn-Giants

Postby Shawn-Giants » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:26 pm

Justin-Chicago wrote:I kind of like the forum draft but would be a definite Yes to some more XFBS!

No you can't join Justin. Wyoming has gotten the XFBS hammer for players testing positive for PEDS. The school has been sanctioned and you're barred from joining.
:mrgreen:

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:28 am

Let him join just under sanctions meaning reduced number of scholarships ands no NIL money.

And Tennessee will have the monopoly over blue chips from IMG Academy and more NIL money than any other team.

We have to keep it realistic...
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:18 am

Based on my analysis of the Message Board dates and times, we finished 34 picks on the first day and stopped at Pick #70 on the second day. It took us another six days to complete the remaining 56 picks. Therefore, I'm not convinced that speeding up the first three rounds would be beneficial.

If the concern is the total time between the first pick and the 126th pick, we should discuss the duration of time given to make the next pick and the appropriate penalty for delaying the process. For example, if a team has not made their pick within twelve hours from the last pick, they should be skipped and the next team would be up. The skipped team would then be up for another 12 hours. This process would continue until all picks are made. Although this is not necessarily my recommendation, it could be considered as an option.

Donovon-Steelers

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:31 am

I think a forum draft allows less experienced coaches more time and less pressure to make better researched picks since the players available may vary wildly from what they expect. My 1st two drafts were a learning experience and not as good as they should have been; I'm sure there are other coaches who could say the same about their first few years.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:37 am

We are going through this every season. It is getting old. It is highly unlikely to have everyone together for a live draft. Yes, I like the craziness as well, but it is about the league. We have done the draft on the board for a while now and it is fine as long as folks get over the fact there is real life going on. Why the impatience? We should not go into the board draft and yell at folks or look to disadvantage them. All of our weekly lives and schedules are different.

Only pet peeve I have is folks that are around but do not pick and spend time, even hours, working trades once it is their pick. The board draft allows plenty of trade talk. You can work out the if this happens deals well before it happens. A few minutes to discuss when folks ping the heck out of you because a player unexpectedly dropped, yep get it. Hours.....not really. While I like the live draft, the board draft works fine is is ultimately fairer as we are not pro teams. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Life is awesome, why speed thru it.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:37 am

Charlie-49ers wrote:Based on my analysis of the Message Board dates and times, we finished 34 picks on the first day and stopped at Pick #70 on the second day. It took us another six days to complete the remaining 56 picks. Therefore, I'm not convinced that speeding up the first three rounds would be beneficial.

If the concern is the total time between the first pick and the 126th pick, we should discuss the duration of time given to make the next pick and the appropriate penalty for delaying the process. For example, if a team has not made their pick within twelve hours from the last pick, they should be skipped and the next team would be up. The skipped team would then be up for another 12 hours. This process would continue until all picks are made. Although this is not necessarily my recommendation, it could be considered as an option.
Everyone will have had plenty of time to do a deep dive into the Draft pool by the time we have the draft. I would just mandate that everyone send a list and that way no pick would go beyond 12 hours. Rich would just take the top guy off the list at that point. Alternatively, Rich could make his own list and make a pick at the 12 hour point, for some coaches that might be a better pick anyway.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:15 pm

My feelings about the draft are this...
The first 3 rounds are fine on the forum, pace moves briskly for a couple of days.
But, the last 4 rounds can get brutal. Coaches ruminating over mediocre players who are nothing more than depth.

So, how about a hybrid draft of the first 3 rounds on the forum, last 4 rounds in draftsock with a timer that is enforced.
If you cannot make it, you provide ME with a detailed player list/position list to keep it moving.

Shawn-Giants

Postby Shawn-Giants » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:33 pm

Hybrid would be awesome Rich, first three crucial rounds on the forum gives owners enough time to live their life on the clock, and the remaining rounds in draftstock to push us across the finish line in a timely fashion.

Return to “General”