Lob Passes

Charlie-49ers

Lob Passes

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:38 am

Questions have been raised about Lob Passes and their use. If you have an opinion, voice it in this thread. Below is what is in the current rules.

Plan Change: No more than 50% of the Pass Dazzle category can be 2-DL defenses.

Profile Change: You may use Pass Razzle Dazzle at any time during the game if the situation is 1st or 2nd down and greater than 10 yards, or on any 3rd down situation except (0-1yds), anytime within the last five minutes of each half and all 4th down situations.

Matt-Jacksonville

Re: Lob Passes

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:55 am

It depends on what everyone's intent is for the Lob Passes. If you want them to be Hail Mary type passes, I say we adjust the ability to use them to the last 1 min of each half. If you intend them to be a "shot play" where you take a shot down field, I would say we may consider removing the timing passes entirely as they are way too effective or at the very least the LA0XCLOB.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:05 pm

They are not way too effective. There are several PL and PRD defenses (2 or 3 DLs) that reduce them to under 10 percent completions.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:14 pm

Since we have an abundance of long plays that can be used on 1st and 2nd when the yardage is greater than 10 and on any third down, one alternative is to restrict the use of Lob passes to under 5 minutes in each half. Just a thought to go along with the others.

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:17 pm

Dean-Atlanta wrote:They are not way too effective. There are several PL and PRD defenses (2 or 3 DLs) that reduce them to under 10 percent completions.

Through nine games, a couple of them are way too effective, averaging better than 44% completion rate and averaging over 40 yards per catch. Not even close to the NFL!

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:17 pm

Charlie-49ers wrote:Through nine games, a couple of them are way too effective, averaging better than 44% completion rate and averaging over 40 yards per catch. Not even close to the NFL!

But keep in mind the plans require 4 PRD to be included, with a max of 50% timed. So one of those plays Charlie referenced stands only a 25% chance of being called in a certain situation.

I say leave as is, as long as we’re following the rules, as it’s been fool-proofed already.

And that’s on the heels of giving up a TD va a PRD last week.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:34 pm

Dean-Atlanta wrote:They are not way too effective. There are several PL and PRD defenses (2 or 3 DLs) that reduce them to under 10 percent completions.

I'm talking mostly about one particular play that I find it hard to say that we have an abundance of defenses to cover. The only true way to defend this play is to have a point zone at the end of the route or to blitz heavily giving the QB little time to throw that deep ball. Pure M2M defenses would be useless against this play. A zone defense would need to have the Defender in position to get to the WR before he completes the route or it would be useless. There are enough duplicates that you could effectively have it called up to 50% of the 83% max a play could be called in a particular scenario.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:48 pm

I have actually been researching this recently as some new calls have begun to show up more like PRZ on 4th and short. The PNFL is a trend league just like the NFL. The defense cannot control the call on 4th down unless they sacrifice the return, so I checked the numbers. The PNFL is at ~ 43% completion using the 4 best PRZ plays that are at 45 yards air. The NFL has been between 26%-30%. I've been thinking of bringing it up after the season as we may need them reduced in some way. I agree they are intended to be Hail Mary's and have no issue limiting them to mimic that. At a minimum I was going to suggest going to 1 (25%) of 4 versus 2. This still only lowers the category the percentage to 39% but lower is better.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:13 pm

I think they’re fine. Scoring this season is up and I think that’s a good thing. I say this as someone who likes to focus on defense and these make that more difficult .

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:50 pm

So if they are hail mary type plays, I would propose limiting them to less than 5 mins in a half and the team calling them has to be behind. Personally I would think less than 1 min in a half would be more ideal for a hail mary scenario, but I think we can try to limit it to < 5 mins in a half first and see if that gets the desired results.

Return to “General”