Lob Passes

Dean-Atlanta

Re: Lob Passes

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:02 pm

Matt-Jacksonville wrote:
Dean-Atlanta wrote:They are not way too effective. There are several PL and PRD defenses (2 or 3 DLs) that reduce them to under 10 percent completions.

I'm talking mostly about one particular play that I find it hard to say that we have an abundance of defenses to cover. The only true way to defend this play is to have a point zone at the end of the route or to blitz heavily giving the QB little time to throw that deep ball. Pure M2M defenses would be useless against this play. A zone defense would need to have the Defender in position to get to the WR before he completes the route or it would be useless. There are enough duplicates that you could effectively have it called up to 50% of the 83% max a play could be called in a particular scenario.

There are several PL and PRD defenses with deep zones that destroy those plays.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:05 pm

I think limiting them to 2nd and 10+, 3rd and 10+, and the last 5 minutes of each half is a reasonable compromise for rule changes in the off-season.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:03 pm

As the creator of LA0XCLOB, I find it ridiculous that we are seriously talking about getting rid of a well made play. I know how to defend it. If you can’t, figure it out or make new defenses that stop it.

The only thing I think that needs to change is the use of PRD. With >5 min in a half, it should only be allowed in 10+ yardage situations on ALL downs. With <5 min its use should be unrestricted. Increase PRD required play count to 6 plays if used. This matches PLR’s play count.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:34 am

My recommendation is to have the same requirements on 4th down as on 3rd down for offense.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:03 pm

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:As the creator of LA0XCLOB, I find it ridiculous that we are seriously talking about getting rid of a well made play. I know how to defend it. If you can’t, figure it out or make new defenses that stop it.

The only thing I think that needs to change is the use of PRD. With >5 min in a half, it should only be allowed in 10+ yardage situations on ALL downs. With <5 min its use should be unrestricted. Increase PRD required play count to 6 plays if used. This matches PLR’s play count.

I'm not saying get rid of it entirely. It starts with the intended purpose of these plays. I'm actually leaning toward limitations instead of outright removal. If it is indeed a hail mary type play, it needs to be limited to Hail mary scenarios. Actually PLR is only 4 plays required. I am very much against unrestricted use in the last five minutes. This is very unrealistic.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:01 pm

If realism is the goal, use of PRD should be limited to <2 min in both offensive and defensive profiles. This would keep the LOBs out of regular game play and limit coaches to more realistic use PL and PLR in long situations when greater than 2 min left. No other restrictions needed beyond simply saying they can't be used unless there is less than 2 min left in the half. Furthermore, PRD defenses should be prevent focused. Should not have heavy blitzing. Should consider updating the PRD defense rule with an additional bullet that says "no more than 2 players defending the LOS can have rush or blitz logic."
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 pm

Should we also limit PRD defense to the last 2 minutes if we do that with PRD offense?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:53 pm

I think it should be final 5 minutes and 3 and 10+. I thin that is simple and not too limiting.

Prevent defense are played at all times.

Donovon-Steelers

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:19 pm

If the rationale is that the % completion rate and avg don't equal NFL standards, then we should also regulate (1) the overabundance of sweeps that average 6-7 ypc., (2) certain short timing passes that average >80% completion rate, (3) make all kickers 99 ST/DI to suck less, and (4) increase DE stats to increase their abysmal sack rates and so forth... The point is - where do we draw the line? From what I've seen in this league, if something is not egregious, we leave it alone.

We've all been burned by these plays, and we've all benefitted from them. They are limited in scope and many plays defend against them. Seems like a pointless conversation.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:24 am

I think any rule change should be minimal. The only real issue with this play is 4th down and may be the 3rd down and 2-5. It is the idea of allowing it in situations where you have extreme call options are possible. It isn't how successful the play is. It is how easy it is create an imbalance in play call options.It shouldn't really be allowed when a short pass or run are the most likely plays to be called. I say this is especially true on the 3rd down where failure still allows for a punt.

As far as the defense prevent defese have always been a thing so I see no problem with that.

Return to “General”