Proposal: Carryover of Practice Squad Players

Mitch-Oilers

Re: Proposal: Carryover of Practice Squad Players

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:57 am

@ James - I don't have all the details figured out, but maybe we approach 0 pt bids as PS signings only. If the player makes the PS player is signed to tge 53 man roster, it costs the team 1 pt.

Going back to Jerry's post... If players draft move to PS, they revert to a 0 pt contract. Add that to what James and I have just shared and basically the 0 pt process is PS bidding/contracts
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:32 am

I think the system is just fine as is. I think the cause of the perceived problem here, if there is one, is the decision by some teams to perpetually fill their roster with 53 players who are all so young that none of them retire at season’s end. NFL teams that have a “youth movement” still have guys that are out of the league next year.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:56 am

Mitch-Chiefs wrote:@ James - I don't have all the details figured out, but maybe we approach 0 pt bids as PS signings only. If the player makes the PS player is signed to tge 53 man roster, it costs the team 1 pt.

Going back to Jerry's post... If players draft move to PS, they revert to a 0 pt contract. Add that to what James and I have just shared and basically the 0 pt process is PS bidding/contracts

I am fine with system as is but if the problem with late round picks not being developed. The 0 point contracts going into training camp is realistic. NFL teams going into training camp with around 90 players. Only 53 of them make an NFL salary. The only thing players who sign with a team in training camp but don't make the team is signing bonus. Those players you are signing for 0 points after the draft most likely won't make your 53 man roster. This actually only benefits the talent of the league. This means team instead of waiting until week 1 to signed 0 contract players for 1 year they sign them before camp making them a better free agent prospect the next season> Would even say if we do this we should require a 63 man roster going into camp.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:19 am

@Justin - you make a great point.

There are risks when accumulating a lot of draft picks in 1 draft to "re-build" your team:

- Unless the majority of picks are in rounds 1-3, you will end up with a lot of "developmental" players
- If you draft 15 or 20 players in a draft, you end up having to "restructure" at the same time.

I know I pick on James for his draft pick volume. However, the majority of his picks are in rounds 1-3. He can now sign those players to long-term contracts with all his points since these players are "play ready" or "near play ready" right now
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:29 am

The contracts of PS players terminate after the teams final game in the NFL.
It sounds like you want a minor league system like in baseball.
But the mission is always to be like the NFL if possible.

Moxs - Patriots

Postby Moxs - Patriots » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:50 pm

How many players are on an NFL practice squad?
There are 16 players that make up an NFL practice squad.

Before 2020, the limit on practice squads was set at 10, but the league has since increased the limits.

Who is eligible for an NFL practice squad?
There are certain restrictions put in place by the NFL when it comes to members of the practice squad.

Out of the 16 players, 10 must not have accrued more than two seasons in the league. The other six do not have any limitations and are categorized as "veterans."

The qualifications for the practice squad are as follows:

Players who do not have an accrued season of NFL experience (rookies);
Players who were on the active list for fewer than nine regular-season games during their only accrued season(s);
Up to four players per team who have earned no more than two accrued seasons (no game limitations);
Up to six players per team with no limitations as to their number of earned accrued seasons.
Teams are allowed to protect up to four players on the practice squad each week. Other teams cannot sign these protected players.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:56 pm

Mox, we cannot have 16.
We have game restrictions of 10 max.

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:06 pm

Keep in mind our practice squad rule now allows three players over 2 years experience

Moxs - Patriots

Postby Moxs - Patriots » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:10 pm

Obviously, game limitations means we cannot have 16.
But the 6 vets - 10 2 or less yrs ratio, we could add another vet spot allowing 4 of 10.
They get paid weekly. Teams can protect 4 weekly.
I do not think this is practical - too much hassle.
But something like what James and Mitch were talking about with a zero point contracts only for the PS could work.

10 player practice squad.
0 pt contracts.
4 vets allowed.
4 players can be protected.

Teams can elevate up to two practice squad players the day of a game in order to fill out the 48-man roster on game days. However, after the game is over, those players must revert back to the practice squad.

Players cannot be elevated more than three times in one season. After that, the team must sign them to the active roster.

If a practice squad player signs with another team, then they must be added to that team's 53-man active roster.

A player may not sign onto the practice squad of another team while an active member of a practice squad.

Per the NFL as Jerry says they are cut at the end of the season.

What Matt is asking is for some all to be considered part of the 90 allowed in the next season I think.

That is not as the NFL does it - but game limitations - practicality and the spirit of the rules may allow for some comprimise.

ok done.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:14 pm

The PS is close to the NFL based on our limitations. The keeping the contract years is the deviation since the NFL cuts everyone to 53 before the season and resigns to the PS with weekly salaries. Personally, we should mirror that and anyone put on the actual PS (NOT IR) would go to a 1 year contract. I believe if the player is good enough to keep then give then a contract on the 53 and keep them instead. I definitely don't believe we should be more lenient. The vet PS we added with the NFL at COVID is probably already minimizing vets in FA.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Return to “General”