Proposal: Carryover of Practice Squad Players

Matt-Jacksonville

Proposal: Carryover of Practice Squad Players

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:26 pm

With the widening spreads for the draft pool, I think we might get some benefit to keeping our PS players around for awhile instead of being forced to cut them.

This could also be tracked on the contract file thus making end of season cut downs simple as Rich would just go in and cut everyone's PS, push the button, then readd them when rookies get added to the files or some other arbitrary point in the offseason. In fact, he could wait till the official cut down to 53 + PS. Making things a bit simpler.

Being able to carry over PS squad players from year to year would allow teams to keep project players for development purposes for a few years.

Donovon-Steelers

Re: Proposal: Carryover of Practice Squad Players

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:10 pm

I'm 100% in favor this; it's kind of pointless to carry a big practice squad when most of them won't be used for injury and then you just have to give them up to the league pool and fight to get back the guys that you already started cultivating. Even if only a limited number of guys are given exclusivity rights for, that would be an improvement.

Moxs - Patriots

Postby Moxs - Patriots » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:34 pm

I believe the NFL allows 4 to be protected or some variation.
Not sure that is helpful or not.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:45 am

I see the exact opposite. The NFL PS are all cut and are on weekly contract more or less. We should actually not be allowed to keep any contract years for players put on the PS in my opinion. They should all go to 1 year contracts. You then still cut down to 53 at SNS.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:11 am

I agree with Jerry.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:00 am

I agree with Jerry

Tim-Colts

Postby Tim-Colts » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:06 am

With the widening of player abilities, I agree that it is good to be able to develop guys and get rewarded for doing it. I think the system we have now is fine. Part of drafting and holding onto those guys is so that you can drop players that are at the end of their career with expiring contracts. So far I have not truly needed to cut a player that would make a difference in my roster. This might change as the ratings widen slightly.

So for now, I like the system we have in place.
#1 overall pick 2041, #1 overall pick 2042 => made the playoffs...

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:42 am

I see what Mitch and Jerry are talking about, but let me make this counter point. As the ratings widen, won't this force people into putting more time into the GM side of things? The widening ratings without using the PS to develop talent would make late round draft picks worthless as there may not be consistent development to make sure those guys can develop. It would force people to use their 53 to develop players which while very realistic may not be what we want. How many people here really want to be forced to manage their roster that way? Does this create an impediment to bringing on new/fresh coaches into the league?

I wasn't looking for a way to create realism. I was looking for a potential solution to a problem I can potentially see in a few years when the ratings differences are much greater. Perhaps I'm a bit early with this proposal. However, I don't see the point in drafting a guy in rounds 5-7 if he will take 7 seasons to develop and a team already has a solid 53 players. Yes, it forces coaches to make the tough decisions of whether to keep the aging veteran or trade/release him. However, there is a fine line in too much work for the league and so little guys are bored. There is also a balance we need to watch between coaching and gm duties. Too much either way for either of those situations and you risk turning prospective coaches away.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:18 am

I see where you're coming from, Matt. However, I see it this way:

- Every team is managing the widenig ratings gap
- Late round picks continue to be valuable due to the ratings bonuses
- If a player takes 6 or 7 years to develop, GMs should likely pursue other players unless they want to take the risk in carrying them on the 53 man roster or continously re-signing them to the PS.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:47 am

Mitch-Chiefs wrote:I see where you're coming from, Matt. However, I see it this way:

- Every team is managing the widenig ratings gap
- Late round picks continue to be valuable due to the ratings bonuses
- If a player takes 6 or 7 years to develop, GMs should likely pursue other players unless they want to take the risk in carrying them on the 53 man roster or continously re-signing them to the PS.

I would like to expand on this. I agree later round picks have lesser value, right now. For a 53 man roster to be made up with only top 4 rounds picks without trades would require 13 years+1 player. You are going to need some of those 5-7 to fill out the roster. You probably going to have 6-9 on your 53 main roster. This means you going probably have 7 year development cycle on all 5th round picks(draft contract + tag). Then your 6-7 round picks might be cut at the end of the season. Even with the draft you still need to sign 3 people to fill out your PS. If you only looking for a 1 year rental for PS which will be better to sign Draft FA or a 6-7th round pick from a previous draft that has a camp or 2 under their belt. 6-7 round picks might just get developed through this process. That being said it is hard to see this because talent is everywhere these players all look like scrubs.

What I would suggest is allow 0 point contracts between draft and Training camp. It will allow us to develop Practice Squad talent. I think it is kind of a middle ground.

Return to “General”