Discussions and voting

Dean-Atlanta

Discussions and voting

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:55 pm

I have been watching the whole discussion and vote over the "Option A" thing that appears to have been passed. I have read how some think we have had numerous off-season discussions that do not lead to anything. I think we need some structure and process in place so this works as well as everything else the PNFL does, which has clear rules and structure.

I suggest the following:

1. Much like our trade areas on the forum, set up rules discussion and rules voters sections on the forum.

2. For the first 2-3 weeks of the off-season, running at the same time as our off-season activities, have open discussion about possible ideas for rules changes if anyone has any, in the Rules Discussion area.

3. After that discussion period, Charlie, Rich, and Jerry could determine what concrete ideas can be obtained from the discussion and place up for vote, in the Rules Vote section. This will allow league officers to distill ideas discussed into concrete proposals vote vote and insure we don't vote on numerous frivolous ideas that won't pass, or that ideas that clearly lack support are not put up for actual vote.

4. Rules changes that are put up for official vote by Charlie, Rich and Jerry that get 10 votes in favor out of 18 will be deemed passed.

This will insure discussion of ideas is not just idle chatter and good ideas have a chance to be considered.

What do you all think?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Shawn-Giants

Re: Discussions and voting

Postby Shawn-Giants » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:15 pm

Great suggestions Dean, should we Vote on this? Haaaaa.

Would be nice to have some structure around some of these off-season rule suggestions because they are important and I respect the changes Charlie suggests in the off-season to keep the league fresh so were not mailing in plans from 2-3 seasons ago.

These purges, rule changes and suggestions are necessary evils of the off-season, and I look forward to them. Without them, the league would get stale, I will always prefer the less disruptive changes, minor changes as opposed to over-hauling drastically what we do and have unintended consequences.

Hats off to everyone involved in this process, and once again Congrats to Murph on a fine Season.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:46 pm

Maybe my evil master plan is to try to distract everyone in the offseason with futile vote discussions so I can continue to beat them in the regular season. Seems to have worked on Charlie. :lol:
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:58 pm

That would be good for those are BORED...

I'm glad to know some of you have absolutely PERFECT PPPs ready to roll for the 2043 season...
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:03 am

I don’t think anyone has perfect PPPs ready to go after the play purges.. Scout spreadsheets from log data are now misleading too because bad plays may be better, good plays may now suck, and some of our favorites are deleted. 2043 is now called SEASON CLEAN SLATE.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:24 am

Yeah 2043 will be interesting for sure.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:02 pm

Dean, what you wrote is pretty much how it already takes place.

Coaches post their ideas and suggestions on the site or emails.
Charlie and I discuss these items, if they are larger in scope we bring other coaches in and talk about them.
If they are BIG important league changing rules and we see good solid reason for them, we take it to a vote.
If they are small in nature, they might be ignored or Charlie might make an executive decision.

I don't believe this league would have survived for 45 seasons if the processes at the top were seen as heavy handed and or corrupt.
I don't say that to be defensive.
But the fact we have so many coaches who have been here for so long tells me they trust in how the league is being run.
They feel their voices are being heard, they are free to speak and suggest any crazy idea they have.
Nothing large ever gets implemented without a vote that carries 15-16+ votes.
And while there are small items that never get voted on, it's really best that way.
These leagues work better under a soft benevolent dictatorship.
If we voted on everything looking for 10 votes, the league would die quickly.

Your last point was to ensure that ideas get discussed and not just idle chatter. Well, who decides that?
The coaches do! You post something and if it gains traction, suddenly there are 6 pages of noise. That doesn't automatically mean it's vote ready. We read the comments, sometimes you can see its a divisive topic and an idea that's not ready. Other ideas are posted and 2 people reply which tell me that 15 other coaches don't think its important enough at this time. Yet, 6 months later it might get 6 pages.

I believe we already do what you are asking for, it's just not written down somewhere.

Return to “General”