PROPOSAL: Rewrite the definition of some defenses

Matt-Jacksonville

Re: PROPOSAL: Rewrite the definition of some defenses

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:59 am

Having reread the thread....I withdraw my previous statements, but still issue the apology to Steve.

With that said, what is the real difference between A and B?

If I read the comments correctly, B claims to remove the safety requirement however, it STILL says 1 safety is required for pass defenses (or maybe just 2 DL pass defenses) while removing the 1 S from Run defenses.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:04 am

So what is the difference between the two proposals? The only difference I see is the highlighted line. However, Bullet point one for #3 mentions that one safety is required. Am I missing something that was intended to be in the language?

D05: Defensive Player Formation Requirements
1. Each defensive Play must employ at least.
• 2 DL and 2 or more LBs; or
• 3 DL and 1 or more LBs; or
• 4 DL and 0 or more LBs.
o With 4 or more DLs, no LBs are required for PASS DEFENSIVE PLAYS.
o RUN defense categories except RL must have at least 3 LBs (e.g., 4-3, 3-3, etc.). Applies to Run Razzle Dazzle, Goal Line Run, Run Right, Run Middle.
o RL defenses must have at least 2 LBs (e.g., 3-2, 4-2, etc.).
2. No defensive Play can have more than 7 DBs
• Run category defensive plays must have at least 1 Safety, as these are the hard-hitting, run-stopper DBs.
3. The following restrictions apply to 2-DL Plays:
• 2-DL PASS SHORT defenses must have at least 2 LBs and 7 DBs (at least one must be a Safety).
• 2-DL PASS MEDIUM, PASS LONG, PASS RAZZLE DAZZLE defenses must have at least 2 LBs and 7 DBs (any).

D05: Defensive Player Formation Requirements
1. Each defensive Play must employ at least.
• 2 DL and 2 or more LBs; or
• 3 DL and 1 or more LBs; or
• 4 DL and 0 or more LBs.
o With 4 or more DLs, no LBs are required for PASS DEFENSIVE PLAYS.
o RUN defense categories except RL must have at least 3 LBs (e.g., 4-3, 3-3, etc.). Applies to Run Razzle Dazzle, Goal Line Run, Run Right, Run Middle.
o RL defenses must have at least 2 LBs (e.g., 3-2, 4-2, etc.).
2. No defensive Play can have more than 7 DBs
3. The following restrictions apply to 2-DL Plays:
• 2-DL PASS SHORT defenses must have at least 2 LBs and 7 DBs (at least one must be a Safety).
• 2-DL PASS MEDIUM, PASS LONG, PASS RAZZLE DAZZLE defenses must have at least 2 LBs and 7 DBs (any).

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:28 am

I'm leaning toward the option that doesn't require a S after doing some online research. My thoughs are as follows:

For the most part a FS is essentially another CB. Scheme wise they may be better at playing zone or may be a better tackler than a CB, but essentially they are more focused on coverage and essentially another CB. A SS is a different story. These are built more like a LB with more speed and in fact some SS have moved to LB when transitioning from college to pros due to lacking the SP for a true SS, but having a bit more than the average LB.
They are then a good choice to stop the run, but also provide a bit of support in coverage, but you won't see them lining up against the top WR's, so you can't really say they are a CB equivalent.

The problem we then run into is the limitations within the game and the ruleset we play under. Given the current set of rules, you can't take 32 plays and label them all RL and call them as your base defense, nor am I advocating for that kind of a change. So with that said, requiring a SS on running plays does make a great deal of sense. However, requiring that same SS on passing plays not as much. Also I'm not sure if requiring a FS on passing plays makes much sense. So I think if we do make the requirements to use SS in run defense, then we need to also make a roster rule requiring at least two S's be kept which according to Steve most people have and would not be a huge change.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:45 am

Apology accepted Matt. When I said what I said to Jerry I was simply keeping it real from a mathematical perspective - was not trying to be a jerk or prematurely call the vote a done deal. That said I respect the contention here about the Safety requirement. My main goal for this proposal is to make the rules abundantly clear for each defensive play type and realign any conflicting rules. Adding a Safety was never my goal. Just seemed like a good idea to consider.

I went ahead and sent the cheat sheet below to the commissioners to take it from here. It doesn't have the Option A requirement of 1 safety for run categories, but that can be added if they think it is for the best. What it does do is try to compile all the current rules into one place. I tried to make sure the differences between RL/PS/PM were more clear. It treats the current 3LB requirement for PS as purely a 2DL requirement too.

Let's leave it to the commissioners to take it further. They will make sure it is right and I told them that if Option A is considered 'passed,' I won't mind updating this for them to reflect. Charlie will also likely be able to provide additional clarity on his expectations for what the VPNFL rules mean by PASS FOCUSED vs. RUN FOCUSED from a logic/intent perspective, so I left that blank.

In the interim, everyone should review this and raise concerns in reply so the commissioners see it in writing what the league thinks is off.

====================================================================================

RUN FOCUSED DEFENSE means:
<insert what Charlie looks for>

PASS FOCUSED DEFENSE means:
<insert what Charlie looks for>

For a definition, “Defend the ('LOS') Line of Scrimmage" means
1. A Defensive Lineman with the logic of Run Rush, Pass Rush, or Read;
2. A Linebacker with the logic of Key on Quarterback, Run Defense, or Blitz (not Read); and
3. A Defensive Back with the logic of Key on Quarterback, Run Defense, or Blitz (not Read).

Goal Line Run
Player requirements: 3DL-3LB
 Must have a minimum of 3DLs and 3LBs
 No DB requirement, but no more than 7DBs allowed
Other requirements:
 At least 7 Players (ANY) must have RUN FOCUSED defense

Run Razzle Dazzle
Player requirements: 3DL-3LB-2DB
 Must have a minimum of 2DBs but no more than 5DBs
Other requirements:
 At least 7 Players (ANY) must have RUN FOCUSED defense

Run Right
Player requirements: 3DL-3LB-4DB
 Must have a minimum of 4DBs but no more than 5DBs
Other requirements:
 At least 8 Players (ANY) must have RUN FOCUSED defense

Run Middle
Player requirements: 3DL-3LB-4DB
 Must have a minimum of 4DBs but no more than 5DBs
Other requirements:
 7 Players (ANY) must have RUN FOCUSED. defense

Run Left
Player requirements: 3DL-2LB-4DB
 Must have a minimum of 3DLs and 2LBs
 Must have a minimum of 4DBs but no more than 6DBs
Other requirements:
 No more than 6 Players (ANY) can have RUN FOCUSED defense

Pass Short
Player requirements: 2DL-3LB-4DB | 3DL-2LB-4DB | 4DL-1LB-4DB
 Must have a minimum of 4DBs but no more than 7 DBs
 2DL formations must have a minimum of 3LBs
 3DL requires a minimum of 2LBs
 4DL requires a minimum of 1LB
Other requirements:
 At least 5 Players (ANY) must have PASS-FOCUSED defense
 At least three players (DLs, LBs, and/or DBs) must defend the LOS.
 In 2DL formations, at least one of the two DLs must defend the LOS. As such, one DL is permitted to drop into pass coverage.

Pass Medium
Minimum players: 2DL-2LB-5CB | 3DL-1LB-5DB | 4DL-0LB-5DB
 Require a minimum of 2DLs
 2DL formations must have a minimum of 2LBs
 3DL requires a minimum of 1LBs
 4DL requires a minimum of 0LB
 Must have 5DBs but no more than 7DBs allowed
Other requirements:
 At least 5 Players (ANY) must have PASS-FOCUSED defense.
 In 2DL formations, at least one of the two DLs must defend the LOS. As such, one DL is permitted to drop into pass coverage.

Pass Long
Player requirements: 2DL-2LB-5DB | 3DL-1LB-5DB | 4DL-0LB-5DB
Other requirements:
 At least 6 Players (ANY) must have a PASS-FOCUSED defense
 In 2DL formations, both DLs can drop into pass coverage.

Pass Razzle Dazzle
Player requirements: 2DL-2LB-5DB | 3DL-1LB-5DB | 4DL-0LB-5DB
Other requirements:
 At least 7 Players (ANY) must have a PASS-FOCUSED defense.
 Must have at least two players (DLs, LBs, and/or DBs) defending the LOS.
 In 2DL formations, both DLs can drop into pass coverage.

Goal Line Pass
Player requirements: 3DL-1LB
 Must have a minimum of 3DLs and 1LB
 No DB requirement, but no more than 7DBs allowed
Other requirements:
 At least 5 Players (ANY) must have PASS-FOCUSED defense
 At least three DLs must defend the LOS
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:07 am

I just ask that if we are changing rules that effect PPPs that we are given plenty of time to work on ours for the upcoming season. I don't think we can expect the draft to take forever anymore when we had a record fast draft last offseason. I say this as I'm actually motivated this offseason to put in more time with mine. =)

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:01 pm

I'm so confused... what are we doing again?

Do I need to add Option E to my chart for those wanting 1 LB and 3 Ss on Razz Dazz Pass plays on 2nd & 10+ inside the OFF 35 with under 2 mins to go and down by 8+?
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:47 pm

Mitch-Chiefs wrote:I'm so confused... what are we doing again?

Do I need to add Option E to my chart for those wanting 1 LB and 3 Ss on Razz Dazz Pass plays on 2nd & 10+ inside the OFF 35 with under 2 mins to go and down by 8+?

We are running this proposal through like a bill in the US Senate/House. You never know what really will be the final version. :lol:

Option E would be "let the commishes review the cheat sheet, make any necessary modifications and make the final decision." Right now I'm clearly Option E.

If more coaches vote for Option A and it passes with a majority, we'll amend the cheat sheet to include the safety requirement, but losing my vote probably hurt that.

I created the cheat sheet above based on the current rules with slight modifications made only to the LB requirement for PS, PM, PL and PRD in an attempt to make sense of conflicting LB requirement rules on the custom play and game plan rules pages. I abandoned the Safety requirement entirely for now because option A hasn't passed yet. I did my best to make sense of what the conflicting rules were intending with regard to LB requirements but I could be wrong.
Los Angeles Chargers

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:55 pm

If Option A passes, the only changes to the cheat sheet would be:
- For all Run categories, one of the DBs must be a Safety.
- Change the 3LB requirement for 2DL PS plays to be 2LB + 1S
Los Angeles Chargers

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:20 pm

So if I understand this correctly, "32" defenses, having 3 DLs and 2 LBs, wiht at least one safety, are legal in RL and PS (and PM) but RM and RR need to have 3 LBs?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:33 pm

Dean-Atlanta wrote:So if I understand this correctly, "32" defenses, having 3 DLs and 2 LBs, wiht at least one safety, are legal in RL and PS (and PM) but RM and RR need to have 3 LBs?

Don't shoot the messenger. The cheat sheet reflects what our current play pool rule D05 requires for RL, RM, RR, RRD, GLR with regard to LBs. That was actually the clear and obvious part. It's the pass defensive play types where the current rules get murky. These are the two bullets in our current rules that require this for RL, RM, RR, RRD, GLR.

• RUN defense categories except RL must have at least 3 LBs (e.g. 4-3, 3-4, 3-3, etc.). Applies to Run Razzle Dazzle, Goal Line Run, Run Right, Run Middle.
• RL defenses must have at least 2 LBs (e.g. 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, etc.).
Los Angeles Chargers

Return to “General”