Bump at the Line Survey

Charlie-49ers

Bump at the Line Survey

Postby Charlie-49ers » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:31 pm

The current rule is that a player designated to Bump must be within 10 yards of the LOS. I cannot remember why we picked 10 yards but my observation of NFL Bumps has such a defender within 5 yards of the LOS, which might be an NFL rule. Does anyone want to clarify or give an opinion?

I think 5 yards is appropriate and would like to limit that for new Custom plays. I would also like to start fixing existing plays if 5 yards is correct.

Mitch-Oilers

Re: Bump at the Line Survey

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:35 pm

I think it's illegal to touch a WR after 5 yards.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:38 pm

Mitch-Chiefs wrote:I think it's illegal to touch a WR after 5 yards.

That was my point.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:47 pm

I think it was changed due to the sudden all bump and run at the LOS faux blitzes. I seen to remember that's when it was set to a minimum and only 3 without a delay. Only thing I can remember on them
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Bryan-Rams

Postby Bryan-Rams » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:54 pm

As I recall, one of the issues with the Bump at the LOS was the number of defensive holding calls. Backing the DB off the LOS lessoned that from happening. 10 yards seems to be working fine, why mess with it?

Neil-Raiders

Postby Neil-Raiders » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:16 pm

Per the Play Pool Rules on the forum:

D02: Bump-at-line (Current PNL Rule)
...Bump players must be within 10-yards, but not less than 5-yards of the LOS.

The NFL rule would be LOS - within 5 yards of LOS. Changing to this would be more 'realistic' and would likely result in more big pass plays due to missed bumps, but it would also probably lead to more sacks due to inadvertent blitzes.

I would vote to stay with the current rule because it probably results in overall more realistic M2M coverage based upon the limitations of the game engine.

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:21 pm

Charlie-49ers wrote:The current rule is that a player designated to Bump must be within 10 yards of the LOS. I cannot remember why we picked 10 yards but my observation of NFL Bumps has such a defender within 5 yards of the LOS, which might be an NFL rule. Does anyone want to clarify or give an opinion?

I think 5 yards is appropriate and would like to limit that for new Custom plays. I would also like to start fixing existing plays if 5 yards is correct.

Well if the defensive player is 10 yards away pre-snap and has bump at line logic then he heads to the LOS to bump within 0-5 yards or so depending on how vertical the receiver’s route is right? If so I believe our rule already aligns with the NFL. Changing it to 5 yards pre-snap would put the actual bump within 2.5 yards.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:17 pm

I think keeping the starting point of the bumping defender between 5-10 yards makes sense.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:41 pm

Isn't there something logic related that causes an AI buster if you don't do bump and run just right?

Tim-Colts

Postby Tim-Colts » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:19 am

It seems like receivers that don't start with "Look for Pass" logic right at the start of the route are more susceptible getting grabbed by a bump at the line DB. Then it causes more defensive holding calls, giving the offense free first downs.

I think the rule is fine as Justin pointed out, the defender will tend to run at the WR and close the gap. This will make the bump happen within the allotted 5 yards of LOS.
#1 overall pick 2041, #1 overall pick 2042 => made the playoffs...

Return to “General”