Custom Plays Question / Proposal

Matt-Jacksonville

Re: Custom Plays Question / Proposal

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:45 pm

I think that would be a good compromise. Say allow the creator 4 weeks (1/4 of a season) before the play is released to the public. This could simulate other teams taking a few weeks to adjust to a new concept or play design.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:21 pm

I do not have more time to invest in game planning to now go toward closed play books of some type. Real life is busy enough. I have no inclination to want to make a change to something that serves no purpose but to have to add more time to play. As I noted earlier, I would not want to go back to leagues of old.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:28 am

At the end of the day, this league allows each of us to focus on what we like most about this game.

If Xs and Os of creating plays brings you joy, you have the ability to do it.

If strategy, analysis and gameplanning scratches your competitve itch, you have the ability to do it.

If roster management and the GM aspects of football crank your tractor, you have the ability to do it.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:57 am

I disagree with Jerry. Video of each of our games is available for study just like in the NFL. While the NFL is a copycat league, they do so by watching that game video; they don’t get the inner logic of any new plays handed to them on a platter.
As someone who likes creating plays there is very little pay off for doing so; maybe you can get a little edge in ONE game, but only on 4 offensive and defensive plays. Most of the “new” plays created now are merely rehashes of old ones because they can be created quickly and easily. What’s the motivation to spend hours developing truly new plays when there is very little payoff? I know I would be much more motivated to create innovative new plays if I was able to use them exclusively for a period of time, so I support that idea.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:52 pm

If there was an official proposal for delayed entry of custom plays into the play pool, I could see myself warming up to the idea as long as all plays are available for the playoffs.

This means, if we delay entry of a play into the pool for 4 week, no more custom plays can be submitted after week 12. If decide to delay entry into the pool for 8 weeks, no more custom plays can be submitted after week 8.
AFC Champion 2043

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:36 pm

Just spitballing...

What if instead of 4 OFF and 4 DEF, we changed it to 2 OFF and 2 DEF per week.
But, those coaches get to use their plays exclusively for 3 weeks.
And, no custom plays after week 13 because all coaches get to see all plays after week 16.

How would the creators react to that?

Because there is no way Charlie wants to see 4/4 by all coaches on a weekly basis.
Exclusive use might increase the quantity and he's entitled to coach his team too.

So, less plays (you can focus more on the details) but exclusive for 3 weeks.
Perhaps we get better quality?
You get an advantage for more time.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:52 pm

@Rich - I'm not overly passionate on this issue, but this seems pretty reasonable for all parties.
AFC Champion 2043

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:03 pm

In my opinion, we would be adding more complexity and time in order to game plan with a shift to some form of closed plays. I can't see any valid reason to add either. I have a real life and no staff of 100's breaking down film like the NFL. I don't watch the video's now. :(
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:13 pm

Jerry-Redskins wrote:In my opinion, we would be adding more complexity and time in order to game plan with a shift to some form of closed plays. I can't see any valid reason to add either. I have a real life and no staff of 100's breaking down film like the NFL. I don't watch the video's now. :(

Jerry, this would not change a thing to my prep as a coach. I can't plan or worry for what I can't see.
And, it's 2 plays per week? It's not like the play creators use their own plays each week.
They would have the option but odds are they are moving plays in and out as well.
A good coach, which you are would not be disadvantaged or hurt by this at all.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:25 pm

Rich-League Officer wrote:Creativity is rather subjective after 45 seasons of play creation.
A reward for creating custom plays would generate quantity over quality.
This is a topic we have discussed before.

If the suggestion is the play creator should have 2-3-4-6 weeks of using his plays before release, I could perhaps get on board with that.

Good idea, but is there an easy way for you and Charlie to implement that?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Return to “General”