Custom Plays Question / Proposal

Dean-Atlanta

Re: Custom Plays Question / Proposal

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:28 pm

Barney - Vikings wrote:I disagree with Jerry. Video of each of our games is available for study just like in the NFL. While the NFL is a copycat league, they do so by watching that game video; they don’t get the inner logic of any new plays handed to them on a platter.
As someone who likes creating plays there is very little pay off for doing so; maybe you can get a little edge in ONE game, but only on 4 offensive and defensive plays. Most of the “new” plays created now are merely rehashes of old ones because they can be created quickly and easily. What’s the motivation to spend hours developing truly new plays when there is very little payoff? I know I would be much more motivated to create innovative new plays if I was able to use them exclusively for a period of time, so I support that idea.

And you can still SEE the new play in video and how it works (just like real football) before the *.ply file is released.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:15 am

You just made my point. It adds tasks to go review videos. This 100% adds prep time to planning. I believe it is a mistake to add more time requirements to play.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:36 am

Jerry-Redskins wrote:You just made my point. It adds tasks to go review videos. This 100% adds prep time to planning. I believe it is a mistake to add more time requirements to play.

Jerry, in my suggestion of 3 weeks, would you really waste time watching Dean's new medium left pass in video to defend it if it was still hidden from you? That would be an incredible waste of time. Why not prepare to stop the other 4 medium lefts and be confident the game is not going to call his new magical play 9x that week. Besides, if you have prepared and found defenses to stop his pass game, I can assure you that the new play will be stopped too. There is no such thing as creating a play that defies all the other plays and completes at 92% for 18 yds per. The smart coach would prepare exactly the same, stop what you know is coming. Yes, in this idea you could be blind to a max 6 plays assuming he uses them at all. But this idea these plays would be a complete departure from the other 30 passes is silly. Your solid defense would stop those too in most cases if they even got called.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:46 am

Dean-Atlanta wrote:
Rich-League Officer wrote:Creativity is rather subjective after 45 seasons of play creation.
A reward for creating custom plays would generate quantity over quality.
This is a topic we have discussed before.

If the suggestion is the play creator should have 2-3-4-6 weeks of using his plays before release, I could perhaps get on board with that.

Good idea, but is there an easy way for you and Charlie to implement that?

Obviously, we are just talking hypothetically but this would be very easy to implement.
Nothing changes, you send customs to Charlie for approval, he sends them to me.
I would take the week 1 customs and zip them up and label them week 3 and hold them.
Week 2 submissions become week 4 and so on till we get to week 14. All plays revealed heading into playoffs.
Nothing would change except custom makers get exclusive use for 3 weeks and you are limited to 2x2 instead of 4x4.
That is the tradeoff. Also, submissions stop after week 14 so every coach sees everything after week 16.
This would lighten Charlie's work load of reviewing plays, perhaps give play makers more time to perfect their plays.
Quality over quantity is the hope.

I suppose in theory it gives custom makers a slight boost but that's a big assumption to make.
If creating your own plays = success on the field than idiots like me would never have won anything.
I also do not think this creates more work for the coaches, you review the plays as they get released.
It's not like you play a custom play making coach each week to even have to worry about it.
And we all know this simulation comes down to play vs play and nothing Dean creates and holds for 3 weeks will be immune to every defense.
That would be impossible.

Donovon-Steelers

Postby Donovon-Steelers » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:15 pm

Matt-Jacksonville wrote:I think that would be a good compromise. Say allow the creator 4 weeks (1/4 of a season) before the play is released to the public. This could simulate other teams taking a few weeks to adjust to a new concept or play design.

I think this would be a good compromise and perhaps spur some more innovative plays than the constant rehashing we have now.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:59 am

Jerry-Redskins wrote:You just made my point. It adds tasks to go review videos. This 100% adds prep time to planning. I believe it is a mistake to add more time requirements to play.

None of that is required. all optional. You can load up your week 4 defense that held the Chargers to 7 points, and your week 12 offense that scored 45 against the Saints. Watch one one Wash at ATL practice game, wins 28-3 and looks good, zip it up and send it to rich and Charlie. That takes 40 minutes max.

Or you can do much more than that. Watch the last 5 ATL games, load the log files in logger, etc.

All optional. Only required part is sending in PPPs or telling Rich and Charlies to use last week's stuff.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Moxs - Patriots

Postby Moxs - Patriots » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:23 pm

As one who has (maybe) stretched Charlie's patience with regard to custom plays...
I would be ok with 2 plays on offence and 2 on defence to be release after 4 weeks to the common pool.
and that brings up the eggplant in the room - off season play submission - i still want 16 on off and 16 on def.
Charlie has convinced me (sorta) 10 for each was ok ... now what?

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:19 pm

I was trying to get you 3 weeks of use and you guys keep going for 4!
You'll be lucky to even get 2.
More chance of status quo. :)

Return to “General”