End the Carryover of Points?

Jerry-Redskins

Re: End the Carryover of Points?

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:12 pm

Mitch-Chiefs wrote:Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what we end up doing. Until we have built in greater differentiation between player ratings, while some of you fight over a player that is 98% of MAX rating, I will sign a guy for a point at 97% of MAX rating and live well within my points.

The difference matters more than you think in my opinion. Games hinge on one or two plays a lot of the time and that 1% will make a difference during the season in various key plays affecting the final score i.e. 96 versus 95 HA matters at DB on a few plays every game. It only takes the right one play to change a loss to a win. It is a math equation in the background and all other things being equal 98% players will beat 97% more.

Now if I could figure out who is controlling the doggone weather %. I have to have the worse record ever in rain games :lol:
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:58 pm

Let's be clear about one thing, not one team has ever lost a star player they wanted to keep.
Not one!
The argument that we don't have enough points is bunk :)
We eliminated the aging costs which for some teams could be 10-20 points!
We added another tag which saves more points.

Only in the PNFL do teams seem to have the option to have the same 53 year after year.
That is not NFL-like at all!

I am warning all teams today, the carryover is going to end.
It is not realistic for one team to have 2 points and another team 200!
Detroit or any team can acquire 40 picks and then not spend points for 3-4 seasons.
This needs to end. it's not a knock on the hoarders who are playing within the system.
But this is ending at some point very soon and there won't be a vote.
I have had this conversation with Charlie and we have bounced some ideas around.

We need to have a more stable economy where the base allocation is set in stone.
And once these 500-600 points laying around are gone, it's likely that allocation will rise.
But the carryover from 2042 into 43 is likely the last.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:14 pm

I just looked at the contract file. I counted SEVEN teams that had substantial carry over of points from 2042. FIVE of them currently hold more than 100 points in theor current points balances. is it good for the league to have some teams holding this many points with the ability to over bid on what few good FAs will be available, add points to balance off trades, and simply trade points?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Neil-Raiders

Postby Neil-Raiders » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:13 pm

If 2043 is going to be the last allowed point carryover (per Rich) then we need to know the new "point" rules immediately. How can we decide on tags, re-signing players, restructuring contracts, etc., if we don't know the economic model moving forward?

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:36 pm

Jerry-Redskins wrote:
Mitch-Chiefs wrote:Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what we end up doing. Until we have built in greater differentiation between player ratings, while some of you fight over a player that is 98% of MAX rating, I will sign a guy for a point at 97% of MAX rating and live well within my points.

The difference matters more than you think in my opinion. Games hinge on one or two plays a lot of the time and that 1% will make a difference during the season in various key plays affecting the final score i.e. 96 versus 95 HA matters at DB on a few plays every game. It only takes the right one play to change a loss to a win. It is a math equation in the background and all other things being equal 98% players will beat 97% more.

Now if I could figure out who is controlling the doggone weather %. I have to have the worse record ever in rain games :lol:

The Hidden Weather rating, of course.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:54 am

Ending the carryover of unspent points would be a big bailout to those who spend every last point every single season. Some owners have spent conservatively while patiently watching others spend every point to keep what they have. Someday those big spending teams will have to let some stars go, and those who have been saving up should have the opportunity to cash in on players let go at that time.

Suddenly ending points carryover would swing the balance heavily in favor of teams who happened to spend (in some instances expending their own carryover) the past few seasons. If we are thinking seriously about winding down the carryover it really should be unwound over many seasons.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:02 pm

Rich-League Officer wrote:Let's be clear about one thing, not one team has ever lost a star player they wanted to keep.
Not one!
The argument that we don't have enough points is bunk :)
We eliminated the aging costs which for some teams could be 10-20 points!
We added another tag which saves more points.

Only in the PNFL do teams seem to have the option to have the same 53 year after year.
That is not NFL-like at all!

I am warning all teams today, the carryover is going to end.
It is not realistic for one team to have 2 points and another team 200!
Detroit or any team can acquire 40 picks and then not spend points for 3-4 seasons.
This needs to end. it's not a knock on the hoarders who are playing within the system.
But this is ending at some point very soon and there won't be a vote.
I have had this conversation with Charlie and we have bounced some ideas around.

We need to have a more stable economy where the base allocation is set in stone.
And once these 500-600 points laying around are gone, it's likely that allocation will rise.
But the carryover from 2042 into 43 is likely the last.

I think this is a mistake. You are just bailing out the teams that are mismanaged(it won't). What is next teams kept having dumb errors in profiles so we restrict to VPNFL profiles. This is the PNFL stop putting on training wheels. That being said. Not rolling over point will only help me not hurt me. You are going to make it harder for point strapped teams to rebuild quicker. For the record just like I said ending the trading window would do nothing and nothing you said it would do happen surprise. This will make people miss manage point even worse. Also means you should end weekly gambling because points during the season will be meaningless.

But the biggest reason not to do it. Is we still haven't seen the effect of two major changes to the league in new anti-aging and new draft classes. If you keep making big changes then you going to smash this league into a wall.

The final thing is point have never been a cap and never will be a cap. If you think they will be I have a lordship in Scotland I want to sell you. All contracts cost the same so it isn't going to have the same effects as a cap. Also even if it is a cap NFL teams are allowed to carry cap money over year to year. SO it is even realistic for teams to carry cap over.

For the record I used my points wisely so punishment me seems backwards. New League name United States of the PNFL the league that runs like the US government if you don't spend it you lose it so spend like crazy because if you do we give you more money.

Yes this is over the top but so was Rich post. It is realistic for some teams to have a lot more money than others. How do you think the Saints were able to go from cap strap to looking to pay a QB 40 million a year. It is call owners deep pockets. Yea if an owner has enough money they can basically ignore the salary cap. None of your points actually hold up besides you don't like it. https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-richest-owners-net-worth-ranked/ 60 billion vs under a billion not quite 100 to 1 like your example but more than 60 to 1so it is close and realistic.

I say the real solutions if get rid of the whole thing It is stupid. Like you said it is just busy work so end contracts all to together. Take quarter of everyone points and set it to only be for free agents.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:52 am

An alternative idea... not sure if I favor it but I will throw this out there:

1. Dump points and contracts and restructuring entirely
2. Still do physicals as we do them.
3. After physicals, even team protects 40 players carried over from the previous season, the rest are dumped into the FA pool.
4. FA draft, based on the draft order of the rookies draft, for 7 rounds, drafting only from the free agents, held just before the rookie draft.
5. Rookie draft as we do it now.
6. Free agent signings, on a first-come, first-served basis, to fill out roster still needing players to reach at least 53.
7. Free agent draft picks can also be traded as rookie draft picks are traded.
8. No boosts or "monster" players added before the FA draft.
9. Give 8th round FA picks instead of points for winning in the weekly picking of games.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:53 pm

If you make it 46 vs 40, I'd be ok with it.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:32 pm

If we make it 46, we keep the status quo, no team will lose a player of any value in FA, and there will be zero redistribution of player talent via FA.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Return to “General”