End the Carryover of Points?

Rich-League Officer

End the Carryover of Points?

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:46 pm

I will throw this out there for you to consider and debate...

My thoughts on the carryover would be, if you accumulated the points then they are yours.
But lets assume we wanted to end the carryover, sooner rather than later.
Perhaps over a 5 season period, whatever you have to carry over gets divided over the next 5 seasons. (43-44-45-46-47)
So if the base is 50 points (using for simplicity) and a team has 175 points of carryover.
Then in season 1 thru 5 he has 50 + 35 = 85 points.
In fact to do this, all teams would have a carryover into 2043, those points divided into 5 seasons.

This way no team loses their points if they use them in that season.
But once 2044 begins, it resets to 50 + (initial carryover/5)
In this example, if a team has 50+35 for 2043 and uses only 65 of the 85, he will lose 20 points.
It resets to 50+35 in 2044.

Btw, if a coach retires (the one who accumulated this carryover) then his team his reset to zero and new owner gets the base.

Rich-League Officer

Re: End the Carryover of Points?

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:54 pm

A few examples for teams in 2043...

Chicago 55 (base) + (15) = 70 in 2043 (his 65/5=15)
Detroit 55 + 24 = 79
Pittsburgh 55 + 11 = 66
Seattle 55 + 12 = 67
San Francisco 55 + 9 = 64

Most other teams would get between 0-10 additional each of the 5 seasons.

tmurph-Jets

Postby tmurph-Jets » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:52 pm

Jets would support this idea.

As I see it, points are our cap.
But the carryover has negated this.
Coaches can be very smart or very neglectful and the end result is surplus points.

I agree though, coaches have earned their surplus so they should have the opportunity to use it over the 5 years laid out.
After that, Rich will decide on the yearly allotment which he does each year already.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:51 pm

I also still say there is no cap if trading of points is allowed. I still believe it was a large component of the increase in available points.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:00 pm

I completely disagree. The NFL even lets you carry over Cap. If you are below the cap

What Happens to Unused Salary Cap? NFL teams are allowed to roll over any unused cap space from one season to the next. Clubs must tell the league they plan to roll over cap space by 4 p.m. ET on the day after their regular-season finale

This doesn't even fit with the Real NFL Cap.

Lets not worry about changing cap rules. Detroit's Point total is slowly going down. Also this penalizes team that have managed for long term success and rewards teams for mismanaging their teams. 5 season wouldn't even come close to normalizing it.

Lets just stop reinventing the wheel.
The issue with bad teams is bad coaching and bad Roster management this would only make it worse. Good Gms like Thomas and Justin would keep their teams where the new and below average GMs will struggle to sign their players. It would basically turn the bad run teams in to farm teams for the good teams. We don't want the MLB model. Plus bad coach's are spending too much of their off season trying to juggle GM duties they don't have time to get better at coaching.

Finally thinking of point as a cap is really not understand what a cap is. Cap is contracts values for a season. If I since a player to 3 year contract if you think of points as a cap the points that should count against the cap is 2 not 6. Cap is bonus money. Bonus money is how team get around around the cap because they can give a player more bonus money longer to keep the cap number down. If anything the current system is work more like the NFL than you would think.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:05 pm

I would support a resetting point system if we scrapped all contracts and used the points only to bid on Free Agents.

It would truly streamline the off-season. We have no Free Agent market and the only people that cut anyone worth signing are people who made a mistake. It only happens to inexperience GMs. Why not just accept the fact that contracts are meaningless. Let people keep their teams and used the point resetting amount to sign Free Agency. With less to do in the off-season it would help less the divided between GMs like Justin Thomas and Jerry and the new GMs trying to figure things out. It might even speed things up no tags or signing period.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:31 pm

I forgot to add. We only changed the retirement rule a couple of seasons ago and the offseason schedule this coming season. We do not know the full impact of those changes on roster and thus points. This is also why I proposed the small tweak to make the cap a cap with minor implications. James was spot on in we jump and go big. I believe we need to be careful until we see results over time.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:48 pm

Jerry, the one area where you are wrong is, the rule that allowed teams to trade points has made virtually no impact on point totals.
The team with the largest net gain is the NY Giants with 4 points.
The team with the largest net loss is LA Chargers with 6 points.
Otherwise its teams swapping a point or two back and forth to finish off trades.
Impact is next to nothing.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:17 am

But it is multiplying as the same points move around and not coming out of the system. It is not the net, it was each transaction counts as an additional point if the same player or another would have been grabbed in FA or the teams with lower points likely would have been used on a restructure. Plus the actual principal of it is not a cap if even one point can be traded and stay in the league economy.

Hence my it is a small incremental change. It also isolates any carry over to the single team and may add a FA here and there. All small changes that still affects the problem without any drastic change.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:34 am

Lions-James wrote:I would support a resetting point system if we scrapped all contracts and used the points only to bid on Free Agents.

It would truly streamline the off-season. We have no Free Agent market and the only people that cut anyone worth signing are people who made a mistake. It only happens to inexperience GMs. Why not just accept the fact that contracts are meaningless. Let people keep their teams and used the point resetting amount to sign Free Agency. With less to do in the off-season it would help less the divided between GMs like Justin Thomas and Jerry and the new GMs trying to figure things out. It might even speed things up no tags or signing period.

I would be in favor of this in another two to three seasons, but not this offseason. If we do something this drastic, we need to allow people time to adjust and plan their rosters. Also, I think we need to allow some time for other changes to take effect and see more results before doing bigger changes.

Return to “General”