End the Carryover of Points?

Mitch-Oilers

Re: End the Carryover of Points?

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:39 am

@Dean - interesting alternative, but I think the FA bidding process

I've adjusted my position on this topic. I do not think carryover points should be eliminated. If a team signs players to longer term contracts and builds from the draft, there will be extra points to carryover.

However, since we don't have a true salary cap, we should consider a cap on the amount of total points a team can carry into a new season.

An easy concept I've thought about is a team's carryover points cannot exceed the number of "new" points a team receives in the new season.

EX: Rich sets the point allocation for 2044 at the start of 2043. The 2044 point allocation is 50 points. This means teams cannot carryover more than 50 points into the new season giving a MAX of 100 points for any team. As Rich reduces the yearly allocation, the carryover point MAX reduces as well. This allows owners flexibility to manage their teams but creates a cap on points.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:16 am

Let me know when that "buy now price" turns into a buy one get one free offer. it's good enough for Papa John's it's good enough...
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 am

Agree with Mitch‘s proposal in principle and in fact, I would like to see the carryover limit even lower .

Neil-Raiders

Postby Neil-Raiders » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:18 am

Steve has mentioned this before and I have as well. The answer is a spending cap. Again, if we're trying to emulate the NFL then a spending cap most closely resembles the salary cap, and the purpose of the salary cap is to help maintain league parity. Under our current system, as long as we have enough money (points) we can buy or trade for as many picks and players as we want. That includes signing multiple first, second, and third round draft picks, while simultaneously being able to have unlimited contract restructures, AND also have unlimited FA bidding. This is impossible in the NFL due to the salary cap. Under a spending cap, every point that is "spent" should be counted, to include the point cost for draft picks in rounds 1-3, points spent in trades acquiring picks or players, points used in FA signings, and points expended in contract restructures. If we had a season spending cap of 65 points, teams could still stockpile points, but they couldn't wildly outspend other teams and we would all have to make decisions every year on whether to go heavy in the draft, focus on FA, mainly re-sign our own players, or try to do a little bit of everything. That seems fairly realistic and consistent with the NFL and it would also be easy to implement and adjust as needed.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:52 am

@Dean - still early in the negotiation process. I like the look of that 2nd round pick you have though... :)

@Neil - I must have missed this concept proposal. I think we could combine concepts to move things forward.

Point Spending Cap
- Team are capped at spending 50% over the yearly allocation
- EX: 50 points allocated for the season when the "button" is pressed. In this case, the spending cap would be 75 points.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:13 pm

The NFL is not an actual spending cap. The rules have all kind of things to move dollars between years. This is what allowing carryover of some amount does. I see no reason to make any major changes to the current system. It worked well for over 30 seasons. We had 6 changes that got us to where we are:

1. The $ cap we used for just a few seasons. Big mistake.
2. Since we had a dollar cap we added point trading.
3. We added points for winning weekly betting
4. We added a 2nd XR tag
5. We changed retirement to a simpler system that eliminating paying for anti aging.
6. The recent trend of roster turnover

The seasons after we started the $ cap saw huge point inflation. I'm positive Rich is close to the the sweet spot with the point allocation. I believe the only issue is is getting the remaining inflated dollars down. The key is to do it in a way that does not hurt the teams that make valid decisions based on the rules and not breaking the rest of the league. Keep it simple is the best I think. We set a reasonable carryover amount and work down to it over time .
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Moxs - Patriots

Postby Moxs - Patriots » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:39 pm

I mostly agree with Jerry.
I am hoping there will be a plan from the admin soon...
as Some of us need to mange our points more than others know what is going to happen next season and beyond would be a foods thing.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:27 am

7. The practice of releasing and re-signing players for 1 point to gain 2 extra contract seasons for 1 point rather than 4 points, saving 3 points.

Jerry-Redskins wrote:The NFL is not an actual spending cap. The rules have all kind of things to move dollars between years. This is what allowing carryover of some amount does. I see no reason to make any major changes to the current system. It worked well for over 30 seasons. We had 6 changes that got us to where we are:

1. The $ cap we used for just a few seasons. Big mistake.
2. Since we had a dollar cap we added point trading.
3. We added points for winning weekly betting
4. We added a 2nd XR tag
5. We changed retirement to a simpler system that eliminating paying for anti aging.
6. The recent trend of roster turnover

The seasons after we started the $ cap saw huge point inflation. I'm positive Rich is close to the the sweet spot with the point allocation. I believe the only issue is is getting the remaining inflated dollars down. The key is to do it in a way that does not hurt the teams that make valid decisions based on the rules and not breaking the rest of the league. Keep it simple is the best I think. We set a reasonable carryover amount and work down to it over time .
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:56 pm

I don't think the carry over points is really a problem. I think penalizing me when I made intelligent moves to build a team is kind of dumb. I have done this before and in about 5 seasons I was middle of the pack in points. I think we have way to much that we have changed to keep making major changes. Give the draft and the new retiring system a chance to do stuff. If it creates a difference between FA and the bottom 7-10 players on a team. You going to see less cutting and more people spending 2 points a season on the bottom half of their roster. This could end up fixing the point problem completely without doing a thing. We need to stop being so reactionary. My point total already has dropped a lot in the last season.

Return to “General”