FA rule proposal to eliminate circumventing restructuring costs

Steve-LA Chargers

FA rule proposal to eliminate circumventing restructuring costs

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:43 am

To reduce the cut and sign behavior we are seeing again in free agency which is a kind of a pseudo restructuring scheme in my opinion because it lets you save 3 points, I propose the following rule for next season:

If you cut a player after the draft or in weeks 1-19, you can only resign them with a 0 point bid during the season unless another team makes a 1 point bid for the cut player.

As a reminder, newly signed free agents are not allowed to be traded for 8 game weeks so colluding with other coaches to circumvent this rule is still possible with patience. but we tend to see this kind of activity only after week 8 so that rule basically eliminates most of it.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Mitch-Oilers

Re: FA rule proposal to eliminate circumventing restructuring costs

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:18 am

Agree
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:05 am

Sorry, I don’t see the need.

The teams that have done this are “out of the race” and I don’t see any issue with them getting a leg up on next season by making these moves.

It keeps them thinking ahead and encourages greater competitive balance. I say let those out of the race continue to plan ahead without added barriers from additional free agency rules.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:34 am

Justin is right, this totally needless. When this practice is done, yes it saves points, but it comes wiht risk. ANY other team can sign them for 0 points and take them off "the market." As was the case with the players I did this with, they are easily replaced with players from the FA pool.

We DO NOT need more rules, we already have too many.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Barney - Vikings

Postby Barney - Vikings » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:37 am

Agree with the concept although I understand Justin’s point as well. The transactions in question involved a SIMULTANEOUS cut and re-sign; that is patently unfair because the rest of the league isn’t even aware a player has been cut before a one point bid has already been submitted. I would definitely like to see that maneuver outlawed; maybe the cutting team shouldn’t be able to bid on the player for a week?

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:51 am

Barney - Vikings wrote:Agree with the concept although I understand Justin’s point as well. The transactions in question involved a SIMULTANEOUS cut and re-sign; that is patently unfair because the rest of the league isn’t even aware a player has been cut before a one point bid has already been submitted. I would definitely like to see that maneuver outlawed; maybe the cutting team shouldn’t be able to bid on the player for a week?

Somebody has to be first to bid. It makes sense to me that it would be the team the player was with gets first crack at negotiating.

If the player is worth more, well, outbid him! Bidding is live for 24 hours after the last bid, I don’t see any issue.

If you’re a playoff team and don’t have room, either make room or don’t!

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:01 pm

I see no issue with a small delay or something to at least gives other a chance. Even the cutting team having to pay full restructure price if a player is resigned within say a week unless it is a 0 point bid wouldn't be out of line. This is not the NFL as we all have real lives outside the league. It is going around the intent of the rules and no player would instantly resign for way less money.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:50 pm

@Jerry - that's kind of where my head was going too. If you cut and resign a player after week 1, it would fall under the restructure criteria.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:09 pm

No delay and no new rules needed, there is no problem being solved. As Justin pointed out, the player can be bid on for 24 hours. If he's worth it, bid 1.5 after the 1 point bid is posted.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:18 pm

Let me play devil's advocate for the coaches who want to eliminate this practice.
#1 Any team is allowed to cut any player at any time.
#2 He therefore is allowed to sign a free agent if FA is open.
#3 All other coaches have access to the forum all the time to see recent moves.
#4 The bid must survive 24 hours of new bids.
#5 Since the player in question had a contract, this new signing really amounts to 1 point for 2 years not 3.
#6 If the player is too good, other teams can certainly jump in especially since Atlanta has zero points.

I could argue that this practice is foolish for Atlanta and not all that clever.
These same players could be allowed to go to free agency after the season and easily be re-signed for 1 point and 3 fresh seasons.
Or they could be tagged with one of their RFA for zero points. Or they could be signed again later for 0 points.
While it feels like a restructure, it's not because other teams can step in a steal the player away.
They were exposed and nobody wanted them.

Return to “General”