Attribute Idea

Steve-LA Chargers

Re: Attribute Idea

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:46 pm

I would only approve this for QBs, no other position. The intent being that we have that one amazing QB at the top of the draft like in the NFL.

I don't think we need to move down nor create wider variety of ratings overall. I am quite certain that wide variation is what caused insane 86-7 scores in the XFBS before I pulled the plug.

I would recommend leaving the core ratings of players as is with one caveat: Apply the wide variation to IN and DI for all positions except QB. This will address the 'throw a fake' issue Dean previously highlighted with DBs. It will cause more penalties and more mistakes.

For example, maybe there is an amazing 83 83 86 potential CB with 50 IN and 50 DI actuals with potentials at max or mid way to max.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:02 pm

@Tim - I felt the same way about training camps when I rejoined the league. Then I realized, with the current ratings spread we have in the league, a draftee with the lowest rating in any category is roughly 95% of MAX in that category. With that low of a spread between ratings, training camps are used for "tweaking" players, not "developing" players.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Xzlent1 - Seattle

Postby Xzlent1 - Seattle » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:56 am

I think this is a good idea Charlie. I would like to suggest the following:

QB - IN
HB - ST
WR - SP
TE - AG
C - DI (for reading the defense)
G - AC (for "firing out" at the snap)
T - AG
DE - AC
LB - HA
CB - AG

tmurph-Jets

Postby tmurph-Jets » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:47 pm

I agree with Mitch & Justin.
Leave the maxes where they are.
Use the drafts to drag down most players attributes.
This creates the superstar effect for a small amount.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:43 pm

Here is the trade that sent those picks to the Jets:

Jaguars trade
1st rd (2043)
2nd rd (2043)

Jets trade
3rd rd (2043)

That now appears it will be the 1st and 19th picks going to the Jets for S Lewis Cine (picked #13 in the last draft) and the 54th pick overall (18th in round 3 if the Jets win the SB)

I've traded my share of draft picks so I will not opine on this trade. I'll let you all do that.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

tmurph-Jets

Postby tmurph-Jets » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:22 pm

Dean-Atlanta wrote:Here is the trade that sent those picks to the Jets:

Jaguars trade
1st rd (2043)
2nd rd (2043)

Jets trade
3rd rd (2043)

That now appears it will be the 1st and 19th picks going to the Jets for S Lewis Cine (picked #13 in the last draft) and the 54th pick overall (18th in round 3 if the Jets win the SB)

I've traded my share of draft picks so I will not opine on this trade. I'll let you all do that.

Why is this trade even being referenced in this thread?
Prior to 2041 Jacksonville was an overall .500 team with a 32-32 record, made the playoffs in 2040, went to an NFC Championship Game once.
Perhaps Matt felt good about his team and if he had won 10 games in what some might consider a weak AFC East, nobody would say a word.
His first could have been 11-16? if it worked out for him.
He had the same confidence you had when you traded your 1st rd pick to Washington, a team who happens to be a SB contender each season.
That very likely will be a top 5 pick for #16 (WR Josh Johnson) last season.
I guess I am not entirely sure why you are throwing shade at another coach when you basically did the same thing.

Bryan-Rams

Postby Bryan-Rams » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:31 pm

To get a wider spacing between the attributes as has been mentioned, why not just go with the ratings that the game produces, don't edit anything other than players where the max attribute exceeds that of the position and their names....

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:34 am

By my count, that's four in favor, six against, a couple alternative ideas, and a bit of a sidebar into risk / reward of draft pick trading. Have we accomplished anything?

Only the draft pool will tell...

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:00 pm

Bryan-Rams wrote:To get a wider spacing between the attributes as has been mentioned, why not just go with the ratings that the game produces, don't edit anything other than players where the max attribute exceeds that of the position and their names....

The whole idea of vpnfl was to get away from the attributes produced by the game because it produces very unrealistic scores and statistics.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:44 pm

The VPNFL ratings matrix was created after much throught and research. I think we would do more harm than good by going outside it. I prefer the idea of reducing not increasing ratings over time.

As far as good teams getting top picks, it seems to me that is happening because the top teams are the ones offering to do the trading. I tried very hard NOT to trade to the JETS, but due to bad timing on an email(offer wasn't read in time), it was the best offer I could take.

Return to “General”