The truth of 'hidden ratings'

Justin-Chicago

Re: The truth of 'hidden ratings'

Postby Justin-Chicago » Fri May 26, 2023 3:40 pm

Alright I'll throw my theory out there too...

The "stamp" only applies to the generation of ratings for rookies. This is why the default rookies the game creates do not have random distribution of ratings, but a guy who has one "99" rating is much more likely to have other "90+" and "99" ratings. It's not a random distribution.

It's probably been 20 years since I played in a league that used the default rookies, and for those of you who haven't, you wouldn't know. But that's how I remember it. Somebody with some free time to research might be able to post a default rookie class and let those who specialize in statistical analysis post their analysis.

But from there the actual ratings take over and are the only thing that matters. And so for us, in this league, the "stamp" is irrelevant.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sun May 28, 2023 11:42 am

Or...there IS a hidden rating and you can STILL change your PPPs and beat the 8-1 team anyway. It's not one or other, it can very well be both. The hidden earing is never an excuse to not create the best PPP you can to give yourself the highest odds of winning even if you think your QB has the negative hidden rating that dooms. Trade the bum and get someone else to run your offense.

Rich-League Officer wrote:I thought about what Barney said with the PID.
That would be the only way possible for players to be randomly "stamped"
All other data for the game created rookies get deleted and replaced.
So, this magical hidden rating would have to be inside the PID.

And since nobody can see it, the distribution of players with magic over 45 seasons would be relatively even across the 30/18 teams.
Yet, we see coaches defy this over decades of coaching.
There are clear and obvious trends for all coaches.

I do find it odd that so many coaches want to believe it when they alone have complete control of their PPP.
Coaches who are losing don't stop and realize that in any given week, there is a PPP you can create to beat the best team in the league.
The plays are there but you need to find them, the profile can be adjusted to anything.
Even the 1-8 team can start over and create a perfect PPP to beat the 8-1 team.
Or you can do nothing and let the 8-1 team change his PPP and beat you because you think his QB has a hidden rating better than your guy.

But, there is no hidden rating :)

Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun May 28, 2023 3:13 pm

Dean, now that is something I can agree with.
We have no idea if its really true or not.
But you still have to coach your team up and overcome.
I am not immune to dumping a QB after a big loss.
Just ask Jerry and QB Ty Dennis who fumbled 4x and broke my heart.
Despite his great QB attributes at the time compared to the rest, he was not working for me so I cut him.
I still do not believe there is such a hidden rating but a shakeup now and then can be helpful.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun May 28, 2023 3:45 pm

I have pieces of the source code that was released for the use of making utilities. I did do a quick glance at the files and can confirm that I do believe there is a place that a "hidden modifier" is stored in the files. However, this just says whether the game makes that guy a superstar or not. It doesn't make a person a bad player per say. Also, I haven't found anything yet to say what kind of boost that person gets.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon May 29, 2023 12:03 am

Rich-League Officer wrote:Dean, now that is something I can agree with.
We have no idea if its really true or not.
But you still have to coach your team up and overcome.
I am not immune to dumping a QB after a big loss.
Just ask Jerry and QB Ty Dennis who fumbled 4x and broke my heart.
Despite his great QB attributes at the time compared to the rest, he was not working for me so I cut him.
I still do not believe there is such a hidden rating but a shakeup now and then can be helpful.

No doubt Ty Dennis can identify with Kyle Allen and Justin Fields!
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Return to “General”