To move be more like the NFL salary system

Justin-Chicago

Re: To move be more like the NFL salary system

Postby Justin-Chicago » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Charlie-49ers wrote:Guys, the purpose of the PNFL is to play football, not manage salary caps. Our system is not perfect, but it is not broke! Let's focus on what makes our playing on the field better.

Then why go through all this salary cap stuff? It seems more and more complicated every year, changes upon changes. I cannot find it anywhere, what is the salary cap for the 2035 season anyways?

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 pm

You make a good point, if nobody wants it, just play football and abandon all the salary/cap/points.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18&p=61#p61

2034 was 210M, it was going to be 205M but I have raised it to 208M because of the TE stuff.

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 am

To be clear, I like having a cap, and rules about its implementation. They've been developed with league-wide input over time and I think most of us understand the benefits of having one. It's a steeper learning curve for the new guys, but more challenging at the top.
What I do not like, is how the rules are fluid from year to year, and the changes happen unilaterally or without notice. I would prefer a vote, or some more notice, when making changes. It can be frustrating to be making what is a good personnel decision one season only to find it's not, come the next!

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 am

That's why I wrote what I wrote. I'd prefer to just keep the system we have. No more changes for the sake of stability (and Rich's sanity).

I have no issue with the TEs being off and needing a correction - that's actually a good thing. That means the current system is working and is being optimized.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:29 am

First, I think any change to the rules needs to be voted on by the league; however, I think Rich deserves a veto if he thinks it's going to be too much work on his part.

With that being said, I love the Salary Cap and can see Jame's concerns/reasoning. It would be nice to be able to find a way to project your cap situation five or so years into the future for long term planning; however, the PNFL uses the VPNFL system or some variation on it to the point where the player ratings matter little in the grand scheme of things. Yes, I do realize that when coaches are equal or close to equal that the subtle differences can make all the difference in the world. Guys, we are not talking about cutting guys who are so far above the rest of the league that they can't be replaced. Also, keep in mind that the cap is in place to FORCE hard decisions on player personel to add an extra wrinkle and realism to the game.

Nothing is perfect and our system/game is far from it, but can we at least give the current system another season or two before we make wholesale changes?

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Matt-Jacksonville wrote:can we at least give the current system another season or two before we make wholesale changes?

Yes, please, why the need for any tweaks whatsoever? Just use the same rules as last year!

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:46 pm

I am sorry I couldn't disagree more.
1.The current system teams salaries up up 30-40 million a year even if players are under contract. That is seriously way out of proportions.

2.The notion of keeping the cap low to accommodate teams that choose to keep there cap number low is also silly. You are penalizing teams for other teams actions. If teams wanted to add cap the players are out there. They are just looking for the league to force players into free agency. Or lower the cap to the point that the good teams are as bad as them. Currently 11 teams are above the cap number most of them over 20 million so while only 4 teams are 20 million under the cap.

I can tell team are not looking to add cap money I have had 1 team approach me about a trade and that team isn't one of the teams that need to add cap space.

I assumed the cap would be used to bring parity to the league with fine adjustment not a sledge hammer taken to teams who actually tried to build teams. .

As for the concerns to what I suggest I would like to address them

1. Don't want more complicated. Actually what I suggest is less by a lot. If you don't extend the contract you know the players salary for the length of it instead of waiting until after the season has started to find out.

2. More work for Rich. If we did something like this I would be more than willing to put some time into a spreadsheet that would do most it for him. I am not one for finding more work for Rich.

3. It would be more NFL like not exactly but more. QB's contract doesn't jump until he signs a new contract. I have multiple players contracts jumping up 2 million in the middle of a contract

4. The biggest reason our salary are going out of control is because everyone salary goes up every year. NFL can have lower cap increases because each year only a few get a big jump not everyone. Teams can even sign contracts so that would allow players to take more in year 3 and less in year for because they need to resign the QB in year 4.

Yes any system that would take all of that into factor is just more than any of us want to do.

****** This is the only thing I suggest*****
Salary for the length of the contract at the players salary number at the time of signing.

Like I said I wouldn't do suggest it if it was more work for Rich and I would be more than willing to work with Rich to make a spreadsheet that made it easy. Just something need to be done about the current state of Salaries in the league.

Yes there are no holdout but they are truly rare unless you are in Pittsburgh.
Yes NFL contracts go up in value usually from year to year but so does their cap number.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:34 pm

I understand your concerns. The expected salary cap, the rise in my player's salaries from great TCs, and the increase in TE salaries is making this look daunting. I thought I'd clear some space with a trade, but I barely got any interest in my starter quality players. I realized I was just getting the same offers I had already gotten in the past for players. I gave up on trading for now and ultimately decided to cut a bunch of project/depth/replaceable players to get to 53 and keep all of my salary heavy guys for now. Maybe I'll be able to trade them during the draft once I have contracts on them again so they are deemed more valuable. The only teams that really put players on the trade block were teams over the cap and none of us could really help each other - we must all have been hoping the four teams you mentioned make offers - obviously unlikely though. Coaches in this league barely answered the roll call, so getting any offers is going to be even less likely.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

William-Giants

Postby William-Giants » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:31 pm

Steve, I gave up trading a few seasons ago because teams pressured the league into a more NFL style free agency.
Now that we have this cap system trading is dead.
You cannot have both. We all have players other teams probably like but the pressures of the cap will cause teams to cut more and more players.

The system we have is fine, accept the 10-20% rise each season.

I think it would be more fun to have no cap and just allow trading to free flow.
You want a better team, trade for the star and not expect to get anything in free agency.
The PNFL used to be a heavy trading league, terrible free agency and I prefer it.
Super Bowl Champions 23-28-31-33-35-38

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:32 am

Everyone views talent differently. My cap is low primarily because I have a VERY young team. This is primarily because I decided to take my losses early and draft a young team while I had the picks to do so. I am also testing a theory I have on talent evaluation...and could be very wrong, but I'll take my lumps if I'm wrong. But, not everyone is waiting on the FA to just drop off into the pool. I personally prefer to draft and grow instead of spending money on FA. I'll spend this year to fill in some gaps as I'll actually have the pts to do so, but moving forward I would rather draft and develop than sign a bunch of FA.

Also, I personally prefer to do the heavy trading, but alas I haven't found many trade partners outside the draft and that was getting slim last year unless you offered earlier round picks.

Return to “General”