To move be more like the NFL salary system

James-Eagles

To move be more like the NFL salary system

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:05 pm

I think we should lock in players at current salary for the length of the contract. That way there is an advantage to long term contracts like there is in the NFL . If a player Restructures contract then it is locked in at the new salary.
This does a few things
1. It makes more in line with Points being Signing Bonus and Guarantee money in the NFL
2. It makes long term contracts a desirable thing and gives a advantage to them. Again more like the NFL
3. It allow teams a chance to manage there cap better instead of being under the cap with all players sign to being way over.

Dan-Cincinnati

Re: To move be more like the NFL salary system

Postby Dan-Cincinnati » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:37 am

I like this idea

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Lovely idea but more work for me.
Plus if we did that, the cap would reduce further to reflect this change.
And what about hold outs?
I have to generate those randomly too.

What you are asking for is the old cap program Con Manager? (think that was it)
In that case, not sure I have the registered version anymore or who has it.
But trust me, I would be open to it because its far less work for me.
But that had limitations for contract years (7) ?

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:05 pm

My number one priority is not more work for Rich who does a lot of heavy lifting, but is the below possible without a ton more work? I lean on you Rich as you do it all. It adds more complication for owners and some owners may not want the 4 year cap management issue versus the current one year that has the issue of projecting out without known values.

1. Contract value static from signing based on current formula
2. Contracts limited to between 1 and 4 years
3. Point cost 7,6,5,4 respectively
4. No holdout mechanism. You sign them or don't
5. Aging and unretirement apply no different than today
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 pm

The one thing I do recall about E.A. Gelat's program is salaries did balloon to make it harder to keep players. In the GM program, all the contract really did is exponentially spread the salary out over the length of the contract. What we have now kind of mirrors what the program did, but we just don't know what the salary will be beyond the upcoming season.

EXAMPLE: QB Luck signs a $90 million contract with a $6 million bonus for 3 years and the Chargers would pay $20 million in year 1, $30 million in year 2, and $40 million in year 3. Only the $6 million bonus was spread evenly across the 3 years. When you traded a player, you only kept paying the bonus for the life of the contract. If I traded Luck in year 2 of the contract to the Colts, I'd only have a $2 million cap hit for him for year 2 and year 3 and the Colts would take on the $30 million and $40 million cap hits. E.A. Gelat's program managed all of this.

I think what we have works. It would be nice to know what my star players will cost me in 2036 and 2037, but I think it's simply impossible to project that as I assume Rich bases the salary calculation on player ratings.

Also … if we lock salaries, doesn't it diminish the need to trade or cut high priced veterans? I thought we put the salary system in place to increase the likelihood we would have more high quality free agents in the pool. I'm in a big salary cap bind right now and will have to make some hard decisions this offseason. If player salaries had been locked to the numbers from two seasons ago, I would be far less inclined to trade (or even cut) veteran starters than I am now.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Charlie-49ers

Postby Charlie-49ers » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 am

Guys, the purpose of the PNFL is to play football, not manage salary caps. Our system is not perfect, but it is not broke! Let's focus on what makes our playing on the field better.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:39 am

I have no issue with the status quo. Just laying out something along James's line for discussion. I can somewhat quess the future years to look at out years as I sign players for decisions.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm

As I said, the old con manager does exactly what we all pretty much want....and was configurable to either balloon the contract or average it out. But, getting that program again may be problematic.

As far as what future salaries are going to be, its pretty simple to have a general idea. If you have a player with high pots and will surely improve, you can expect a bump of some degree. But other depth players who gain 1 point in camp are likely going to be the same salary. As we move along, you can see that teams are climbing between 0-20% from one season to the next. For example the Chargers gained 20% while the Rams gain nothing. It shows you who has the talent. Over time, teams will begin to make moves and the talent will shift.

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 pm

And the utility won't run on 64 bit computers. Good luck trying to get Frontoff and Conmanager to work at all in 2019.
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Great point, its very problematic to even play this game.
I did a test finish the season and the game crashed.
So just getting this damn thing to play is a nightmare for me.

Return to “General”