Squib Kicks

Charlie-49ers

Re: Squib Kicks

Postby Charlie-49ers » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:10 pm

OK, Justin is correct! There will need to be a corresponding Defensive Squib alignment. After too many hours to count I developed the On-Side Kick and the Return so that there is some randomness as to who recovers the ball where most of the time the receiving team recovers, like in the NFL, but the kicking team does get it occasionally. These plays are mandatory since anything else always gives the ball to the receiving team.

If I understand this correctly, you want to trick the Sbuib play with a modified Squib (new name) that is really a normal Kickoff, which should be easy, but I will have to simulate. The trick will be a receiving team Squib return! The receiving team, not knowing if it will be a normal Kickoff or a real Squib will need an alignment that will consider both I would think (a couple of deep guys, but Hands guys).

Let me work on it to see what I can develop. I will also consider Custom plays if you guys think you can build a better mouse trap.

Charlie-49ers

Re: Squib Kicks

Postby Charlie-49ers » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:01 am

I took a look at this situation in the Play Editor and here is what I have found:

1) Any regular Kickoff Return sufficiently covers the Kickoff with the receiving team always taking possession of the ball. As such, I do not see a need for any type of modified Squib defense if the Kicking team elects to Squib or Kickoff.
2) We can develop a modified Squib (SquibFak) that is actually a normal Kickoff and insert it into the game. That play will be good for that particular half regardless of the score in the game.
3) I do not see any situational possibility that would allow you to change the play based on the score.
4) Like the On-Side Kick, the game, as opposed to the manager, makes the decision on Squib and On-Side Kicks.

Return to “General”