PNFL Power Rankings

Steve-LA Chargers

PNFL Power Rankings

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:33 pm

As promised during the podcast, here is the Power Poll.

When I ran the XFBS, I used this Power Poll as our BCS poll for seeding the playoff teams. Out of curiosity, I punched in the PNFL numbers to see what it would tell us. I know some of you will immediately be critics, but it worked perfectly for seeding our playoffs for multiple seasons. We wanted to make sure it was based somewhat on the Standings power poll (something we all are familiar with), but also factored in W/L streaks.

Here is some extra info about it:

THE POWER RANKING FORMULA: [(W X 2) + Opp W] - [(L X 2) + Opp L] + Streak Pts = POWER SCORE

W: Purely based on your overall wins as shown in the Standings
Opp W: This equates to a Quality Win Bonus. It is based on the "Opp W" amount on the Standings Power Poll. It essentially rewards teams for beating teams with good records.
W Pwr points: [(W X 2) + Opp W]
L: Purely based on your overall losses as shown in the Standings
Opp L: This equates to a Quality Loss Penalty. It is the opposite of the "Opp W" amount on the Standings Power Poll in that it totals the losses of the opponents you lost to. It essentially punishes teams for losing to teams with bad records.
L Pwr points: [(L X 2) + Opp L]
Streak Pts: The Streak Pts is based on the team's current winning or losing streak (e.g. "W3" in the Standings). Using W3 as an example, the Streak Pts would be +3. Using L1 as an example, the Streak Pts is -1. Your current win / loss streak can send you up or down the rankings each week just like in the NCAA.
POWER SCORE: W Pwr points - L Pwr points + Streak Pts

Tiebreakers: The Streak Adjustment should create a sufficient distinction between teams to avoid requiring a tiebreaker by the end of the season. That said, if needed tiebreakers are as follows:
T1 Head-to-Head victories (If 3 or more teams have the same XFBS score, T1 H2H cannot be used as a tiebreaker - in this scenario, the next tiebreaker is used.) followed by
T2 highest-to-lowest Total Wins,
T3 highest-to-lowest Win Power Score ([your wins X 2] + total wins of opponents that you beat),
T4 lowest-to-highest Loss Power Score ([your losses X 2] + total losses of opponents that beat you)and then
T5 highest-to-lowest Streak Adjustment will be used as tiebreakers.
T6 previous rank
T7 Pyth.

Pyth is an equation that uses accumulated Points For (PF) and Points Against (PA) to generate a score that is also used to project your possible Win total for the season. The formula is: PA to the 2.37 power / (PA to the 2.37 power + PF to the 2.37 power). This component can also help compare two teams that have the same record (i.e., the one with the higher score is better offensively & defensively than the other so far). You can learn more about it here: https://ziggygolf.substack.com/p/pythagorean-expectation-for-nfl-betting
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Steve-LA Chargers

Re: PNFL Power Rankings

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:36 pm

Correction on the pyth formula. It's actually this:

The formula is: PF to the 2.37 power / (PF to the 2.37 power + PA to the 2.37 power)
Los Angeles Chargers

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:22 am

Apparently I can't even use a mute button properly so of course I see the power ranking image but none of you do. You can't imagine how difficult it is to just make an image available. Couldn't use Google, OneDrive nor my XFBS website (seems broken and inaccessible to me).

Here is a Google site I created with the Power Poll. I'll update the poll today so you will soon see two images there soon.

https://sites.google.com/view/pnflpowerpolls/home
Los Angeles Chargers

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:31 pm

Probably doesn't show but whatever. Use the link if it doesn't show.

Los Angeles Chargers

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

Steve-LA Chargers wrote:Apparently I can't even use a mute button properly so of course I see the power ranking image but none of you do. You can't imagine how difficult it is to just make an image available. Couldn't use Google, OneDrive nor my XFBS website (seems broken and inaccessible to me).

Here is a Google site I created with the Power Poll. I'll update the poll today so you will soon see two images there soon.

You're bantering was entertaining though... ha!
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:04 pm

Power Rankings
Attachments
44W05PNFLpowerRank.jpg
44W05PNFLpowerRank.jpg (187.02 KiB) Viewed 84 times
44W04PNFLpowerRank.jpg
44W04PNFLpowerRank.jpg (193 KiB) Viewed 84 times

Return to “Trash Talk”