Matt-Jacksonville

Re: CFP

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:40 am

Make it easy....

Michigan
Washington
FSU
Georgia

Top three should be locks as they are all undefeated. Georgia lost, but the question is should they fall out and should Texas leap Ohio State to take their place.

Texas has a bad loss to Oklahoma and a quality win versus Alabama.
Ohio St. has a loss to Michigan who will be the new #1.
Alabama has a quality win versus former #1 Georgia and a loss to Texas, but was #8 previously.

It pains me to say this, but I think it should probably be this

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Ohio St.
5. Georgia
6. Texas
7. Alabama

The committee proved last year that conference championships didn't mean much.

For those interested, ESPN's FPI Power Index

1. Michigan
2. Ohio St.
3. Penn St.
4. Oregon
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Texas
8. Oklahoma
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Florida St.
12. Kansas St.
13. Washington
14. Texas A&M
15. Ole Miss

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:19 am

They say they are going to pick the 3 best teams

Michigan
Georgia
Washington
Texas
or
Michigan
Georgia
Washington
Alabama

I think it will be

Texas vs Michigan
FSU vs Washington

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:01 am

I'm a UGA. We always wet the bed against Alabama in Atlanta.

Here's who I'd put in the final 4:

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Alabama

Alabama vs Texas in the finals with Alabama winning making up for their loss earlier in the season vs Texas.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:11 pm

Mitch called it. I agree that's what they are setting up by the seeding. I believe the Natty is in Houston this year, so would be easy drive for both teams should they make it.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:01 pm

I have never like the Playoff selection system. They say they are going to put the 4 best teams in. All the criteria was just to be used if teams were close. I think the committee says they do the 4 "best " teams but they put in the most deserving teams. I think this year it was SEC biased that got Alabama in. FSU was probably more deserving. They couldn't bring themselves to leave Alabama out even though beat a hampered Georgia team. I think Georgia is better team than Alabama.

Michigan had to be 1 and Washington had to be 2.
Now they have Alabama, Georgia, FSU and Texas. I personally think Alabama and Georgia were the better teams of that group. It is hard to put in Alabama without putting in Texas. We all know SEC would have thrown a fit if they didn't get in. They were stuck. I personally would have put a healthy Georgia over Alabama and Texas.

I kinda wish they weren't expanding the playoffs because if they weren't. The chaos would be insane. How many teams from the Big 12 and the ACC would be fighting to get into the SEC and Big 10? I mean even with expansion if you went by rankings 11 of the top 12 teams would be Big 10 or SEC.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:02 pm

I'm an SEC homer and had FSU and Ohio St. or Georgia getting in today instead of Bama and Texas. BUT, I see what they did. They said the injury for FSU mattered and that they wouldn't be competitive in that field, so out went FSU. That left spots for Texas and Bama. Now they had their dream matchup. Watch, it'll end up being Bama vs Texas in the title game and they can sell a ton of tickets, ads, etc.

I think had Georgia been healthy they would have beaten Bama and we would have been debating why Bama or Texas didn't get in. It sucks that Georgia didn't get a chance to three peat, but they had their chance and blew it in the SEC CCG.

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:10 pm

An Alabama vs Texas title game is the committee’s chance at redemption for the thankless chore of picking four from this group. It made sense for them to set that up.

FSU could have a “claim to the title” if they somehow upset Georgia in the Orange Bowl, but does anyone actually believe that could happen?

I think given all the factors they got the four teams right but didn’t matchup the semifinals correctly.

Alabama-Michigan is a superior matchup to Texas-Washington. It should have been a possible matchup for the title game.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:36 pm

I think they be happy with any match up that doesn't have Washington in it. Michigan, Alabama and Texas all will draw big. If it wasn't for the scandal they want Michigan-Texas. I think if the committee had there way Washington would be in this conversation.

The real question I have how long before they stop talking about a power 4 conferences and admit it really is a power 2. The other question comes in will the Big Ten and the Sec start their own conference playoff system.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:06 pm

If they keep getting bigger and bigger, they will eventually have to seceed and form their own league. BigTen vs SEC with a playoff/championship game between the top teams from each. I think the SEC poaches the ACC and the Big Ten pulls Notre Dame and maybe a few Big12 schools. They then fill out with what's left to get to a logical number 24, 32, etc. You might also eventually see them get big enough that there could be internal splits within each that form conferences/divisions. Maybe four eight team divisions if they go 32 with the winners of each playing a playoff to determine the champion for each and then the two champs play each other. It will be interesting to see how the landscape of college football looks in about 10 years.

Return to “Trash Talk”