CFP

Mitch-Oilers

Re: CFP

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:26 pm

Who besides Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame and maybe Miami and North Carolina, who else would the SEC or Big 10 care to add?

Cal or Stanford? They don't want them now.

Anyone from the Big XII? Maybe West Virginia or TCU?
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:38 pm

I think think it get to the point where the teams will only be tied to the university in name only and it be straight pro league.

I don't see B1G pulling from BIG 12. I think people forget B1G isn't looking at just Football. There is an academic standard that will have to be met. All but 1 B1G school is AAU even after expansion and that school was AAU when they joined. I am pretty sure FSU and Miami are going to end up in SEC because of that standard. I think may be Georgia Tech and Virginia might end up in the B1G and Clemson though Clemson isn't AAU. The issue with B1G expansion is that they don't need to because they are currently a national conference and apart from Texas They the bigger national brands.

The SEC needs to expand and they going to have to take lesser teams to increase foot print. They are currently a single sport regional conference with teams that are regional brands that have national status if winning. They are also locked into a horrible TV deal last I had heard. If I remember right SEC is getting 300 million a year vs the B1G getting 1 Billion/year. SEC deal is through 2033 and the B1G is through 2030. It is bad news for the SEC they have less money for longer without a national footprint. They are limited to one network where B1G is on 3. SEC is only getting schools the B1G doesn't want after the new TV deal and recent expansion.

NIL plus expansion has really weaken the SEC. I think they were close when B1G was north and they were south. The problem is USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington shifted the balance of power. SEC added 1 top tier national brand(Texas) and 1 bottom tier national brand(Oklahoma) which is slowly becoming a regional brand. B1G added 2 top tier national brand(USC, UCLA), A university who is backed by Nike(Oregon) and A regional brand while extending their footprint along the whole west coast. There will be B1G games from 12PM Est until 1AM Est every Saturday with 3 broadcast networks carrying games.

If I had to put money the next school to be in the B1G would be Georgia Tech to increase their foot print into SEC land and add the Atlanta market. With NIL and the money from the B1G TV deal. I think SEC is in a power race and falling behind fast. It is even happening on the field. SEC the conference that always pushed that they deserve 2 teams. CFP had to rationalize not allowing unbeaten power 5 team into the playoffs to get 1 SEC team in.

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:48 pm

Mitch-Chiefs wrote:Who besides Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame and maybe Miami and North Carolina, who else would the SEC or Big 10 care to add?

Cal or Stanford? They don't want them now.

Anyone from the Big XII? Maybe West Virginia or TCU?

B1G would like Georgia Tech to expanded into SEC region. I could see North Carolina and Duke in B1G.

I think the SEC need to add teams out west and up north. I would also say they need to add some Basketball schools, too. Apart from Alabama, Georgia and Texas is anyone outside of the SEC watching those game. A couple down years and the only one with national pull is Texas. People forget Alabama down years how little national coverage they got. Even if the SEC doesn't want to admit the power gap in talent has shrunk a lot in football. The other thing who outside of SEC who follows SEC basketball. The B1G was able to pull the TV deal they did because they have top teams in Basketball and Football with National demand. They also have a national foot print so even the teams without national brands give the conference a second level of national pull because of a nation of regional brands.

Return to “Trash Talk”