Hardball

Matt-Jacksonville

Re: Hardball

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 am

At the end of the day, it's just a game, so have fun! Till the ratings changes get fully implemented and we see wider gaps in the ratings, there really isn't going to be THAT much difference in talent from top to bottom. It's not out of the question for a good coach with an average roster to win. They may not make deep runs in the playoffs each year like Thomas and Justin, but they can still win many games.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:45 am

EA Sports is just game... FBPRO is a way of life... LOL!
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:43 pm

Is it just the PPP? You have heard me say it multiple times, but I believe most are wrong on the players are so close there is no real difference. Those small differences are important over time. The 96 HA WR will catch another pass or two over a few games as compared to a 95 HA one all else equal. If that play is a 3rd and 8 and the play gets you into FG range and you lost by 2. Then the 1 HA point mattered a ton. (Except for Mitch. He would miss) :) That same couple of attribute points scattered across the whole roster makes a real difference.

People should look at Rich's Sal Cap numbers. It is no surprise that the teams with the highest avg salary win more often. A better PPP matters as well and can over come talent if better enough, but if folks believe trading what are likely high early round picks for late round value because the players are so close, there is a reason those teams keep winning more often than not and it is not just the PPP. If you believe they are better at the PPP, why also give them the most talent. Even the small differences in talent. This is dog eat dog. Grab every advantage you can is my opinion.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:02 pm

Having more talent is always better, regardless of spreads. However, I still think the threads are too narrow to make a significant difference overall.
AFC Champion 2043

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:23 pm

We can agree to disagree. The differences we have matter and we see it every week and season. Just frustrating to see rivals piling up on better talent for average players. I assume some of it is impatience rather than not recognizing a bad value, but if it is because they believe the difference is too narrow to matter, then I say they are wrong. :geek:
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:32 pm

Jerry-Redskins wrote:We can agree to disagree. The differences we have matter and we see it every week and season. Just frustrating to see rivals piling up on better talent for average players. I assume some of it is impatience rather than not recognizing a bad value, but if it is because they believe the difference is too narrow to matter, then I say they are wrong. :geek:

I think the small difference do matter but it is still mostly PPP. Jerry should know this the year I beat Jerry 3 times He had a much better team than me other than Secondary.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:42 pm

Mistake on my part does not change the fact that several points in attributes directly affects the game more than all of you give it credit for. This is software and it is a math equation. Those 2% and 3% differences matter every play and only one or two different results in a game is the difference in most games as the margin or error is small.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:50 am

Last post on this topic. Yes you can beat better talent if you guess right in your PPP that week or the opponent guesses wrong. The point is when you lose do you really believe it is the PPP every time. Every play is decided by the math equation in the background. Players being the even just 1% to 3% better across several attributes at most positions on the field means even if you matched up well on that play call, you may lose out. The odds are in the more talented teams favor every time. Watch the replays. Most games hinge on only a few plays. Any 3rd down miss if complete could end in a score. The PPP differences are less being better at the play calling than the PPP small mistakes that have nothing to do with the opponents PPP. Rich has pointed that out multiple times. The PPP's are closer than everyone thinks in my opinion. Do some teams maximize and sim to increase their chance of guessing right. Yes. My only point is why go into every play with a talent disadvantage at a bunch of positions. There are nuances to players and we will never agree to what is exactly the best, but I can guarantee we almost all get the best talent when drafting early and often. You have control over your roster while you only guess at what your opponent will call each week in the PPP. Maximize what you can control. Bad roster decisions put you a half step behind in the 100 meter race and you are choosing to be a step behind with decisions you can 100% control and do not forget the teams we are trading with is our enemy. We have to beat each other to win it all.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:54 am

@Jerry - I agree with you that talent levels have an impact on game results, no matter how big or small. I just believe there should be more of a differentiation in talent levels between players.

There should be more distinction between All-Pro talent, starter level talent and back-up talent. It doesn't have to be as wide as the Mississippi River, but it should stand out more.
AFC Champion 2043

James-Eagles

Postby James-Eagles » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:33 am

Jerry my only issue with your argument is I think it gives an excuse for losing because of bad PPP. There is no reason my team should be winning games if it is based on Talent. This might not be nice but there are a few teams with bad PPPs and blaming it on talent would be bad. It allows them to blame the roster and then make bad roster moves. I should have been getting blown out. My starers ranking in the league by my weightings

QB 54th
HB 62nd 94th
FB 12th
WR 18th 31st 43rd 53rd
TE 60th
c 28th
G 42nd 72nd
T 67th 71st
k 20
P 15
DE 53nd 82nd
DT 44th 49th
LB 74th, 81st, 85th, 94th
S 92nd 93rd
cb 53rd 104th 109th and 111

Talent wise almost all my starters are bench players at best. Most of them are 3rd string players. There were almost all picked after we nerfed the draft class. I would make the case if you played Detroit close last year you should look at your PPP.

Return to “Trash Talk”