PPP Issues

This forum is dedicated to sharing tips, tricks and best practices for everything FbPro98
Jerry-Redskins

Re: PPP Issues

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:20 am

Not what I meant. You need to have a base of who you are and what you do. You build your team to execute your foundation. You adjust some each week for opponents. Maybe this week you adjust 1st and 10 between the 35's to prioritize PM over PS based on the anticipated opponents defense. This is not building from scratch. It is a small change based on scouting from you base. My opinion is if you go to extremes week to week you will not match your roster and quess wrong the opponents plan(Lots of new Profile changes = more errors) All in on what you perceive as an opponents weakness leaves you vulnerable as well if you are wrong. I would be considered generic, but I have a foundation and I do the small things to counter my opponent and counter key things each week. I use the game plan more than the profile to adjust, but I adjust both.

I decided about 4 or 5 years ago to stop chasing other teams. Make them worry about what I do. I decided to run PPP's that are what I like style wise and that are generally successful. Build the team to meet that. Throw in a few adjustments each week and make my opponent beat me. Washington will be there to play each week. We are physical, sound, and most of the time do not beat ourselves. I no longer stress over the opponent each week. I have my identity and you have to beat me.

Last season I got away from my principles a bit and also jumped around trying to be like others a bit to fix it and lost my way the last half of the season. Someone reminded me in the offseason. I may never be 16-0 and 3 or 4 in a row time champion, but I have fun, don't spend hours simming, which is boring. I read logs and analyze the opponent and make my small tweaks. My profile has time outs, 4th down, extra points, and the little things right.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:40 am

I have been working on a process over the last season or so and have honed it in pretty well right now. However, it can get a bit time consuming, which I don't mind as I can work on it while I wait for work tasks to come in for me to work on. I do need something for those short weeks or the weeks I am not feeling up to putting in the time, so I may take your advise and come up with something a bit more generic. Also, I say I rewrite a profile from scratch, I'm more just working on the regular logic not the timeouts and Extra Point sitatuations. I typically copy that from the previous week and tweak the rest.

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:46 pm

If you listened to the last podcast, James mentioned me and my advice on profiles.
In the early days, I would be more apt to change things up and maybe even try tricking my opponent.
I learned that it was not necessary. I put most of my energy on execution.
Execution = finding plays on both sides that work vs this weeks opponent.

I did not care that you knew I was passing passing 60% and running 40% on 1st down.
The game will inevitably vary that anyway so why get anal about it.
My attitude was, I will find the plays to make any profile work.
On offense I might go a full season and never change a thing other than fix an error.
Or, see a situation like a 3rd-2 that I would prefer to do this instead of that.
Small tweaks along the way.

On defense, similar but I would change it up a little based on my opponent.
No reason to be married to pass mediums if the team runs a lot more.
But even on defense, much of the profile was good to go all season.
Executing, finding the right plays was far more important to me.
James was accurate, I did spend more time on defense than offense.
I felt as my defense improved, my offense improved with it. More stops = more touches for my offense.

And how this ties into profile errors is, less editing = less errors.
I would advise creating your profiles and do less tweaking of those each week.
Watch the videos and catch errors, watch those specific situations and perhaps edit those to your liking.
You can win with a "bad" profile and proper execution.
You will lose with a "perfect" profile and bad execution.
Bad execution is just randomly adding the plays to meet the requirements and just mailing it in.
You'll win some games but you won't beat the best often.

Mitch-Oilers

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:02 pm

Jerry and Rich have a lot of good points and insights. I've been experimenting and adjusting my game prep a lot the last 2+ seasons.

What I'm learning is if you "experiment" too much, your consistency and execution suffer.
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Steve-LA Chargers

Postby Steve-LA Chargers » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:52 pm

Matt-Jacksonville wrote:@Mitch Yes, but the way it's written you are to use the play types as delimited by the "/"

So what is it? Is it use only what is within the groupings delimited by the "/" OR anything on that line is fair game?

And now we know the root cause of Jax’s struggles. :shock:

You all should have kept telling him the choices were required for each /. :lol:
Los Angeles Chargers
2041 Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Former commish of the XFBS, XFL, and CCFL

Return to “Coach's Corner”