PPP Issues

This forum is dedicated to sharing tips, tricks and best practices for everything FbPro98
Dean-Atlanta

Re: PPP Issues

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:17 am

I have also viewed that as meaning PSR is mandatory as ONE of the three categories used, and the other two may be ANY of those listed there.

This has been a lesson at PNFL Law School.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:19 am

I'm not sure what is so confusing about it. But, I have been here 25 years.

3rd down 2-5 yds
inside DEF 5 RM RL RR / PSR PMR PLR PSL PML PSM PMM / GLP GLR / PRD
between 5-5 RM RL RR / PSR (MANDATORY) PMR PLR PSL PML PSM PMM / GLP GLR / PRD
inside OFF 5 RM RL RR / PSR PMR PLR PSL PML PSM PMM / GLP GLR / PRD

It is telling you what play types you can call. It also says what you must have in there for one of the 3 choices you have.
If you do not see "mandatory" in there, you are not required to use that play type.

But, I can tell you why some of these issues are happening, coaches are NOT bothering to read the rules and ask questions!
With all due respect Matt, you have coached 184 games in the pnfl, these profile rules should be burned in your brain.

And as Mitch said, over the last couple seasons I am seeing more and more violations with regard to Razzle Dazzle passes on 1st-10 and 2nd-10.
You CANNOT use them with more than 5m left in those situations.
Under 5m left in either half, OK.
Any down, greater than 10 yards, OK.
3rd down, 2-5, 6-10, 10+, OK
Those plays are a serious mismatch against standard defenses.
Teams need to clean up their profiles or there will be draft pick penalties.

And Matt, it is not a question of us starting to enforce. We always try to enforce but there is no way Charlie or I can examine your profiles each week and catch these errors before games. We catch them after the game. This week it's the Jets/Raiders 2nd half. This cannot happen anymore!
Coaches need to take responsibility for their profiles. It's not fair to your fellow coaches.

And, if you are a newer coach, read the rules again and again and email me with questions and I will be happy to explain it.
Yes, sometimes the rules are confusing, written poorly, maybe they seem to contradict something else in there. All fair points.
But you have my email, ask me!

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:35 pm

Several seasons ago the former Pitt coach had a utility that checked profiles for illegal play calls. Does anyone know if this is avaiable or anyone has it? This could be very useful for all of us to scan our profiles and check for errors.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Rich-League Officer

Postby Rich-League Officer » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:43 pm

Are you referring to Mark Sturman?
I wish something like this was available!
Don't we have any excel geniuses here to create something?

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:06 pm

Yes. Did he never give anyone a copy of what he was using?
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

- Jerry Glanville

Justin-Chicago

Postby Justin-Chicago » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:34 pm

Rich-League Officer wrote:Don't we have any excel geniuses here to create something?

All you would have to do is chart the situation numbers with the acceptable playcalls. I nominate Mitch! Ha!

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:39 pm

Rich-League Officer wrote:Are you referring to Mark Sturman?
I wish something like this was available!
Don't we have any excel geniuses here to create something?

The problem isn't being able to use Excel. The problem would be to be able to open the PPP files and scan them to do the checking. If you can crack that, then the rest is rudamentary.

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:43 pm

Rich-League Officer wrote:I'm not sure what is so confusing about it. But, I have been here 25 years.

3rd down 2-5 yds
inside DEF 5 RM RL RR / PSR PMR PLR PSL PML PSM PMM / GLP GLR / PRD
between 5-5 RM RL RR / PSR (MANDATORY) PMR PLR PSL PML PSM PMM / GLP GLR / PRD
inside OFF 5 RM RL RR / PSR PMR PLR PSL PML PSM PMM / GLP GLR / PRD

It is telling you what play types you can call. It also says what you must have in there for one of the 3 choices you have.
If you do not see "mandatory" in there, you are not required to use that play type.

But, I can tell you why some of these issues are happening, coaches are NOT bothering to read the rules and ask questions!
With all due respect Matt, you have coached 184 games in the pnfl, these profile rules should be burned in your brain.

And as Mitch said, over the last couple seasons I am seeing more and more violations with regard to Razzle Dazzle passes on 1st-10 and 2nd-10.
You CANNOT use them with more than 5m left in those situations.
Under 5m left in either half, OK.
Any down, greater than 10 yards, OK.
3rd down, 2-5, 6-10, 10+, OK
Those plays are a serious mismatch against standard defenses.
Teams need to clean up their profiles or there will be draft pick penalties.

And Matt, it is not a question of us starting to enforce. We always try to enforce but there is no way Charlie or I can examine your profiles each week and catch these errors before games. We catch them after the game. This week it's the Jets/Raiders 2nd half. This cannot happen anymore!
Coaches need to take responsibility for their profiles. It's not fair to your fellow coaches.

And, if you are a newer coach, read the rules again and again and email me with questions and I will be happy to explain it.
Yes, sometimes the rules are confusing, written poorly, maybe they seem to contradict something else in there. All fair points.
But you have my email, ask me!

I may have played 184 games, but this is the first year I'm really starting to dig back into the profile building part of the game. I was skating by on old Profiles the rest of the time and building my PPP by swapping out plays instead. I always interpreted it incorrectly, but went with it like that because even if I was was wrong, I was still right ( I was just limiting myself even further technically).

I don't have a problem with it being enforced and I know you and Charlie do your best. I was primarily just looking for clarification. I typically build a new Profile from scratch each week now, so I just need to know what to watch for when I'm doing so.

Jerry-Redskins

Postby Jerry-Redskins » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:35 am

Maybe a figure of speech (from scratch), but build a profile based on what you like/want to call. Make sure it is compliant. Then just tweak what is needed each week after scouting your opponent. If you are struggling make incremental changes. Huge ones tell you nothing. You'll just bounce back an forth finding nothing. Just my opinion, but we coach better when we are comfortable. Everything goes together; PPP's and roster development. Where are your team strengths based on your own comfort zone. Build towards those. Have a plan and be patient.

Either way. Get the foundation built and tweak only what is needed. Then come back to the profile later and do a quick check to make sure it is good before sending it in. If an error or two shows up in sims. go to those spots and fix it.
2013, 2036 PNFL Champion

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:42 am

I prefer to build my profiles to matchup to my opponents strengths/weaknesses instead of trying to get something more generic.

Return to “Coach's Corner”